Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Shingle Bells

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Shingle Bells Reply with quote

Gutted, totally fecking gutted.

Come down with a severe dose of shingles, signed off work until 3rd January.

This would be great if I didn’t feel so shoot.

Training knocked on the head for another few weeks Mad [/code]
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch...over xmas too Sad

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this your 1st episode? if so welcome to a lifetime of intermittent pain Sad

I got my 1st dose of cranial shingles in my 30's so have been suffering it on and off since. I'm now in my 60s and although the episodes are much less frequent and less painful these days, it never really goes away but you become better at managing it. identifying the factors that can cause it is useful (for me that's sun and wind together, and/or heavy physical stress) so you can start treatment as soon as you spot the tell tale signs (skin tingles). keep aciclovir cream handy to start, and if you can, get acicloivir pills (I buy mine off t'internet at highest dose possible - GPs won't prescribe them at that 800mg dose) and use them straight away.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

The doctor has actually prescribed the pills at 800mg, 5 times a day for a week.

I’ll look out for the cream.

That’s a bugger, I thought shingles could only happen a couple of times and then doesn’t come back. Great, add that to the dodgy prostate and the pile. Getting old is just great!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would 'rest hard' for a fortnight, and play it by ear. Eat healthily & get lots of sleep. Maybe after Christmas you could do a little light exercise if you've kicked it into touch.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
Thanks guys.

The doctor has actually prescribed the pills at 800mg, 5 times a day for a week.

I’ll look out for the cream.

That’s a bugger, I thought shingles could only happen a couple of times and then doesn’t come back. Great, add that to the dodgy prostate and the pile. Getting old is just great!

good to hear the GPs prescribed that dose - obviously looking to stop it as quickly as possible. the pills will make you feel a bit icky, but probably no worse than you're currently experiencing! aciclovir cream is available over the counter at local pharmacies - Zovirax is the original brand name but Boots have their own brand which is cheaper so ask for aciclovir cream, not Zovirax cream. comes in 5g tubes which doesn't sound much but a little goes a long way - as soon as you feel that shingles "tingle" start slapping it on, and get some pills down as quick as you can (another reason for buying off internet so you can stock up and not have to wait to see a GP for a script)

sadly, once you get shingles it tends to be with you for life and you just have to learn to manage it. there is now a vaccine for it but it's restricted to the over 70s on the NHS as this age group are more prone to shingles and it tends to be more debilitating to them with a 1 in 1000 death risk for those developing it. only 5 more years until I qualify for it! Razz
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good stuff there, thanks guys.

Only been off for 2 days and climbing the walls. Not that I can bothered doing anything, feel awful.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: