Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman France 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggo wrote:
Very tempted to do France next year, anyone know how quickly this one usually fills up?
Also how does the bike course compare to Lanza, any ideas?

Come on mate, you know you want to do this one!
roadster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggo wrote:
roadster wrote:
The dates are within the school summer holidays for us Scots Very Happy

Really? When does summer start in Scotland then?

Two weeks earlier than in England of course !
m.k

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foggo wrote:
Really? When does summer start in Scotland then?

I'll graduate next year in early may. Go back to Uni end of september for degree numero 2. This year it's 4 months too.

Great for training Smile

-M

2011:
Enduroman Triple IM UK
GeordieM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morg wrote:
900 metres less climbing, but it is hotter.
A lot of the climbing is at the front end, and you get a long downhill and flat last 30 ish miles

So I think the bike course is slightly easier, less wind but more heat.

COme ond join us, there are a few of us so far Smile

The IM France course is significantly easier, not least because it is 10k short of the full 180 km. As said you also get the climbing done in 2 goes, and enjoy a 40k descent into Nice. The wind in Lanza makes the bike course much more demanding.

GM
morgs1804

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Foggo"]Very tempted to do France next year, anyone know how quickly this one usually fills up?
Also how does the bike course compare to Lanza, any ideas?[/quote]

foggo, i entered at the end of sept last year and i don't think if filled up anytime soon after that. there is a large field of 2500. i didn't end up doing it this year due pulling out earlier in the year due to injury but had all my accomodation booked so went to watch anyway...... its an absolutely amazing race, a real carnival atmosphere. the buzz around the place on race day is fantastic. i am doing IMUK in a few weeks and kept thinking to myself ..........'can't see this in bolton'.
i'm giving entering france next yrear some serious thought.
Morg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep missing this years IM France on Eurosport, does anyone know if its going to be shown again?

Cheers

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two...
roadster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God i hope not!!!

They've shown it about x20 times so far in the last week alone?
artik

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of questions before making my mind up - what was the weather like this year - ? Just how technical is the bike course?
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artik, I can't help you on the technical aspect as I've not done it before, but I think it's been a bit on the warm side the last couple of years.

Historical weather for Nice;

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Nice/76900.htm
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coastal controller wrote:
Oh Oh Oh add me!

Me and a mate are going to go and take a couple of motor homes, wives, kids, dogs, the full 9 yards! My two are already training for the Ironkids stuff Smile

Now, where did I put my bike?
Shocked

Nice one, may even get chance to put face to the name. Hows the Mds legs, i'm just getting back into it now after a few injuries post Mds. I think it beat me up more than i'd given it credit for
cheers
Dave
artik

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure about how I would fare in that heat. How would you prepare for intense heat and those that have done it how did it effect you on the run??
Jonathan I

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in.
First IM.
Pooing myself a little. (no - a lot)
4 Marathons under my belt, and a few Olympic Tri's but need lots of work on the bike. I feel a near-novice still and confidence down after a crash on the damn thing a few weeks ago.
Craziest thing ever
J.
Foggy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan I wrote:
I'm in.
First IM.
Pooing myself a little. (no - a lot)
4 Marathons under my belt, and a few Olympic Tri's but need lots of work on the bike. I feel a near-novice still and confidence down after a crash on the damn thing a few weeks ago.
Craziest thing ever
J.

Welcome to the club Very Happy

I did my first IM after doing 1 sprint and 1 olympic tri and then having a year off with an injured knee Razz Crazy works well Smile
BigFish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artik wrote:
Not too sure about how I would fare in that heat. How would you prepare for intense heat and those that have done it how did it effect you on the run??

On the bike the heat is not too bad (but yes it is hot), you just dowse yourself with water etc....
In terms of technical aspects....
You spend a lot of time climbing (there is not much flat on the course)...in fact the first real climb is around 20k..it is not steep just constant. That can be quite hard to replicate in this country (we have mostly short & steep climbs), so you need to gauge your effort and just keep plugging away.

The descents were not as steep and fast as I thought they were going to be. There are a few hairpin bends but most of it is sweeping curves and if you have no fear of descents then it is great fun. You have to concentrate though, not least (as already mentioned in quite a few reports) because of other competitors and racing debris (bottles etc)......so if you slow\brake hard on corners get off the racing line because you will have someone (Goivanni or Phillipe) right on your tail taking you on the inside! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Again it is something that is hard to practise on in this country, but you need to be seeking out hills everywhere, the fresher your legs are for the run the better!

A few weeks before I went out to Mark Tickner's (Training Bible UK : http://www.trainingbible.co.uk/ ) training camp and it was excellent for getting in the above skills.

The run is like stepping out into an oven! I sat in the T2 tent sipping chilled water thinking if only that was it! And out on the run it was like a war zone. I have never seen so many people walking either. I think except for some notable exceptions don't expect a marathon pb etc....in fact IMFR is not about IM pb's. There is little or no wind, you are running during the hottest part of the day and the sun is like a hammer...and you are the anvil! Very Happy Very Happy Even the tiniest bit of shade is blessed relief. Keep at it though and you will be fine.
Whenever possible in preparation I went running (in the UK) during the afternoon to try and acclimatise, but really unless you live in a hot country nothing can prepare you for it.

Sorry for the long post!
It is a great race and also a great achievement knowing you have done one of the tougher IM's. Smile This race takes a long time to fill for a reason! Smile
KingInk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artik wrote:
I have a couple of questions before making my mind up - what was the weather like this year - ? Just how technical is the bike course?

It was hot this year.The day before the race it cooled down and rained at about 4 but race day was hot.

As BigFish says,a lot of time on the bike is spent climbing.There's a short,sharp climb at 20k and a loooong,steady climb from 50-70k.Then it's downhill until the next climb which is about 7k long I think.The downhill sections aren't that technical but you do need to keep your wits about you as it's some of the corners are a bit sharp and there can be some debris on the course.After that last major climb it's pretty much down/flat back to Nice.

I didn't start running until about 4pm - and it was bloody hot then.It seemed to take an age for the sun to go down behind the hotels on the sea front.It's very hard to prepare for this kind of heat living in the UK so plenty of fluids and just try to keep at it on the run!

It is a quality race and despite me saying I'd never do it again I'm starting to reconsider!Enjoy....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 3 of 99

Jump to: