Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
If you want a shot at KQ, how and when would you do it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fruit thief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: If you want a shot at KQ, how and when would you do it? Reply with quote

Hi all.

Kona is on my bucket list and has been forever. But I know it's a huge goal in terms of commitment.

For those who fancy a crack at it just once in life, how and when would you go about it?

?coached. Multi year plan? Where's the sweet spot? is it when you are young and free (although that ship has sailed for me.) Is it when you have your mid life crisis? Or a retirement present?
ttowel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you?
fruit thief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old enough to know better, young enough to not qualify for a bus pass

I guess it needs a few things to come together... time, funds, work, other responsibilities, health...???
I'm thinking that maybe 50-55 when the kids are grown might be the sweet spot for me. Interested what had worked for other people
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much to my wife's disapproval I might keep an eye on this thread. Smile

As for what I have seen it's incredibly competitive all the way up. The ones who rocked it when young have years of conditioning and experience, and it's an uphill struggle to get to their level at an older age.

My target would likely be 60+ but pretty sure I'll be broken by then.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Much to my wife's disapproval I might keep an eye on this thread. Smile

As for what I have seen it's incredibly competitive all the way up. The ones who rocked it when young have years of conditioning and experience, and it's an uphill struggle to get to their level at an older age.

My target would likely be 60+ but pretty sure I'll be broken by then.

that's the risk...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: If you want a shot at KQ, how and when would you do it? Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Hi all.

Kona is on my bucket list and has been forever. But I know it's a huge goal in terms of commitment.

For those who fancy a crack at it just once in life, how and when would you go about it?

?coached. Multi year plan? Where's the sweet spot? is it when you are young and free (although that ship has sailed for me.) Is it when you have your mid life crisis? Or a retirement present?

I too would like to qualify for Kona & came close enough this year to know it is at least a possibility. I am not chasing it as an end goal though, I am following a path of self improvement, working on my weaknesses and just enjoying the process/lifestyle.

Those that I have seen throw all their chips into a qualifying year have mostly ended in disappointment, the odds are just too low and the cost too high.
ttowel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to be under 9.40 on a decent course. Thats the level required.

Your options are to go low key and get a slot though qualification on the chance that its a weaker field, ie Far east, Argentina

Or

Go popular like Frankfurt and hope there is roll down.

I've worked with a 55 ag athlete trying to get to Kona and fell well short at Austria, UK and Barcelona but got the slot at Frankfurt with a 9th place and roll down.
ttowel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said, I personally thought Kona was sh1t.

Massively overpriced, full of full time amateur pros, full of dopers, a drafters paradise and over hyped.

The £4000-£6000 needed would be better spent of more memorable experiences.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to dream of such things; but these days I simply don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never made any secret of my desire to Qualify for Kona, and it is still very much on the Bucket list. Yes I know that it is over rated, I know that it is full of Full time AG athletes, I also suspect that there are a few AG dopers.

Last year I was simply naive, I thought that I could KQ in my first year. In 45-49 Age Group, the KQ cutoff was 10h dead, in 2017 9h59m, I managed 10h50m so some way off

In 2019 I am focusing on my 70.3 time and I have no plans for a full IM, but suspect that I will enter one towards the end of the season, more as a measure to see how I am progressing

I recon my best chance will be to qualify in 3 years when I have just moved to 50-54, that gives me time to carry on building my base, and to sort out my swim - however, I will probably have a shot every year on the pretext that I am just checking my progress
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I could write an essay on this....

Missed KQ by 3,6 and 11 mins and competing in Kona Oct 20 through the backdoor 'legacy' programme.

Key stuff for me:
Family buy in is crucial, and it was really only kids being self sufficient/moved out that opened the window to put the training weeks required down.
It will dominate your life. Outside the basics of work, family and the minimum 'other' jobs you will train and (try) to rest. Other hobbies have to go; in a way it's quite a sad life.
Getting yourself 'in shape' is only part of the story unless you are uber talented. You'll need all your stars to align, including luck on who shows up on the day and roll down, nailing your perfect race etc. There's likely to be 15 guys in similar shape and the one who's stars align gets the slot.
Failure burns, a near miss haunts you for months. It's not nice and it makes the race very binary - success or failure - rather than enjoying the experience, a PB etc.
It was 6 years really for me - 3 to get somewhere in striking distance, then 3 'real' attempts (all failed).

I strongly suspect that the 'KOna' experience won't be worth everything I've put into it, and it'll always be tainted by 'you failed and snuck in through the back door - you didn't Q by right'. but what the hell.....I'm going.

Good luck....
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

I strongly suspect that the 'KOna' experience won't be worth everything I've put into it, and it'll always be tainted by 'you failed and snuck in through the back door - you didn't Q by right'. but what the hell.....I'm going.

Good luck....

so what? if you play the lottery once and the numbers come up, you can hardly claim that it wasn't earned any more than someone who plays it all the time...

Go and enjoy yourself...i'd do it myself if i thought that i could do it justice and may try to do so when i retire and have time to swim and bike daily...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Good luck....

so what? if you play the lottery once and the numbers come up, you can hardly claim that it wasn't earned any more than someone who plays it all the time...

Go and enjoy yourself...i'd do it myself if i thought that i could do it justice and may try to do so when i retire and have time to swim and bike daily...

Cheers. Having the 3 nearish misses does shape it, 2 were 'could haves' and 1 was a 'should have' and I know that qualifying by right was achievable hence the mixed emotions about getting there without actually making it. Perhaps the 'achievement' means more than 'being there'.

On the other hand I have 12 IM finishes, all 12 under 12:00hrs (includes 4 x wales, Lanza, 2 x Bolton) and 2 under 10:00 so I've paid my dues out there on the road... so hell I'm going and will enjoy it....
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:

I'm guessing that's specific to the OP being 45?

For me, I just can't see it's ever a realistic option. I went 9:51 in my first ever race, and the final slot went to someone going 8:53. I get that there is a level of growth the more you do, and I've seen that in 70.3 and surprised myself with a 4:28 and a Nice slot, but the time commitment and dedication TRO talks about when trying to KQ is just unfathomable, especially when I can't see any way to knock an entire hour off my time, and that's just to scrape in!
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
ttowel wrote:

I'm guessing that's specific to the OP being 45?

For me, I just can't see it's ever a realistic option. I went 9:51 in my first ever race, and the final slot went to someone going 8:53. I get that there is a level of growth the more you do, and I've seen that in 70.3 and surprised myself with a 4:28 and a Nice slot, but the time commitment and dedication TRO talks about when trying to KQ is just unfathomable, especially when I can't see any way to knock an entire hour off my time, and that's just to scrape in!

I don't think we are far apart Stenard, your certainly a far a better swimmer & have quicker 1/2 mara time than me. I was 4 mins out at Wales I think you would be pretty close at Wales or Bolton. In Europe, forget it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: