Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swimming pool side effects
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skipper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Swimming pool side effects Reply with quote

Has anyone suffered at all from issues after swimming? After long, heavy sets in the pool I've been getting a blocked/runny nose, sometimes developing into blocked ears and lethargy later in the day/following day.

I'm guessing it's something linked to chemicals in the pool, some pools are better than others but it's pretty universal even in pools I've used that I've thought are quite clean.

I'm going to try nose/ear plugs but does anyone have any other suggestions or experiences for this problem? Any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob (using Joe's site)

a very average blog!!!
joeskipper.co.uk
tri_longer

Location: Bobbing along on the bottom of the beautiful briney

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now don't laugh, but I have felt seasick once in a pool. Only ever happened the once and I put it down to the fact that the water was so choppy from the spalsh pool area.

http://chrisgoesracing.blogspot.co.uk/
doug

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a common problem, I use a nose clip, others use beconase or similar nasal spray, vaseline up the nose before swimming or a salt rinse afterwards.
cyclingengineer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Swimming pool side effects Reply with quote

skipper wrote:
Has anyone suffered at all from issues after swimming? After long, heavy sets in the pool I've been getting a blocked/runny nose, sometimes developing into blocked ears and lethargy later in the day/following day.

Yep! You are not alone. We should start a support group. "Hi my names CyclingEngineer and I am a post swim sniffler".

I know the lethargic feeling too. An early morning swim can ruin my productivity. If I don't get the sniffles then I feel fine. I also find different pools have different effects. In my the newer the pool the better the filtration systems - resulting in less sniffles.

Worst comes to worst I resort to a squirt of beconaise (or the boots equivalent which is a bit cheaper, but the same).

I have found the other thing to watch is hydration - especially in the morning - as you lose a surprising amount of fluid while asleep. Also, swimming doesn't feel dehydrating (water water everywhere but not a drop to drink etc), but it is - this can make you feel crap and lethargic.

Quick search turned up these which you might find useful.
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88600
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89409
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20992
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36647

HTH
nakedninja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a sniffle from swimming which could develop into a cold and being grumpy/under all day.

I got a nose clip and it really seemed to help, until I just lost it on Sunday and I'm going to have to buy a new one. Still, for £3 or whatever, not getting the sniffles is worth it, to me.
H

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nose clips seem to work well but I always found them rather annoying. Now I take a clarytin (antihistamine) before swimming shove a bit of Vas up the hooter, and have a couple of sniffs under the shower afterwards. It's not perfect but it helps a lot.

I also find that if I ever get round to swimming more regularly that lessens the impact a bit.
2 scheds

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

For a nose clip.

Bu tit's horses for courses and lots of other folk use the other solutions gien here.

Smile
sooooooooz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started to train regularly in the pool I had to wear a noseclip every swim. Then about a year ago when I lost the clip and had to swim without it, I noticed that my symptoms were much less post swim. I didn't get round to buying a replacement and now swim without one. Whether this is because over time I became desensitised to the water...???? don't know, but it's possible.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I could feel like I have a cold for up to 36 hours after swimming in a pool, antihistamines help but have now bought a nose clip. Shame I injured my back so haven't had a chance to use it.
Rooster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very common problem.

4 quid on a speedo nose clip should sort it out.

I also recommend the anti hayfever spray for a few quid from tesco - if I do get the sniffles, then it seems to sort it out in an hour.

I spent years thinking I had loads of colds and it was just a sensitive nose!
hillwall

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had this problem after increasing the number of swim sets I do each week. Nose clip has solved it although I wouldn't say it's the most comfortable thing in the world. Took a couple of sessions to get used to breathing out through my mouth and not through my nose.

Tempted to try the anti-hayfever spray if I ever remember to buy any.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone do nose plugs rather than a clip?
nookie180

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really suffer on a friday after swimming at abingdon pool but never after swimming at wantage on wedsnday and sunday?
spod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer with cold type symptoms after a tuesday swim at Hertford pool'but I,m fine after thursday and sunday swim at Ware pool.I,ve had an ear problem for months.Apparently its because if pool water gets trapped in your ear for too long the chlorine irritates the inner ear.
pacman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also stay away from Jacuzzis as the chlorine content in these is way higher than the pool.

Take an antihistamine before and a short stint in a steam room or sauna after your swim helps sweat chlorine that is in the skin pores. I have no scientific background so this might be utter poo-poops.!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: