Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman France 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron muddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!
YAY! lets keep this alive!
I'm still debating the IM tattoo.....I know where i'd want it to go, but despite having had one tattoo done already am a little scared of having another one done.
Also don't like the idea of not swimming for 2 weeks.

My feet are (almost) fully better, i have very pretty coloured toe nails though - and no i have not painted them!

My next challenge is a 3000m open water siwm race up in the north east on Friday then the Lakeland Triathlon at Bassenthwaite in mid August.

Good job on the fell race Doonhamer.
Morg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tattoos?

Not everyones cup of tea, but this is mine that I had done after Lanzarote last year.
Thinking of getting it coloured in now that France has been done even though it was an awful finish time.

Please, each to their own, I like it so be gentle if you criticise

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two...
tatatrisec

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Doonhamer, lets keep it ticking over until we get to 100 pages.

Tattoo is different Morg, been planning one for years and now you've put the off again. What colour flag you gonna go for Spanish or French

Next weekend I'm doing the Snowdon race for the first time, anyone done it that can give me any tips apart from don't look up and don't look down - Doonhamer ??.

After that its the Little Woody and possibly the Perranporth Oly Tri.

Then just gonna tick over until Xmas with the local 10k x-country series and mountain bike before picking it up from there.

Next year was planing on doing Lake Placid but way to expensive so fancy Alpe d'Huez middle distance - July, followed by the Mont Ventoux long distance race - Sept (cause I love them French hills so much).

Got to have an aim in life....
Jonathan I

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatoos:

Ian: Photo please!

Morg: Like it, French flag in the big M would work

Muddy: Where???!!!

Me: Bit nervous re being on wrong end of a needle. Was wondering about getting a "Livestrong" style wrist band with IMF on in French colours. Miffed when my mate who did IMLanza showed me his - they were handing them out - but none for us IMF lot, and BOY did we earn it Smile

I need to get a grip with focussing on something/training. Currently feeling like a couch potato slob having done NOTHING for the last 3 weeks - although been knackered and had a bowel bug thing (sorry too much detail I know) and ironically now lighter than I was at Peak pre-IMF!
Corustrisec - D'Huez also appeals for '11. Tradition dictates we need to wait until 2010 lot have had their fun I guess, but maybe we can get a thread going after....!
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnathan, it's just above my right ankle, looks like I had a similar idea to Morg. Picture was taken 10 mins ago & only 4 days after being branded so it will dull over time & not look like something my daughter coloured in Very Happy . I had thought about the French flag in it but discounted this for 2 reasons;

1. Didn't know how the white would look

2. If I do any more I may end up with flags all over my legs & I don't fancy the Stars & Stripes or German flag

Those hairs on my legs had only started growing back....... Rolling Eyes
Jonathan I

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer wrote:
it's just above my right ankle, looks like I had a similar idea to Morg. :

Looks great! Love the sports logos.

The fact that you're worrying about future IM flags makes me think you are definitely on the way to another before too long, despite the (weakening) "never again"!
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corustrisec, I've done Snowdon 4 or 5 times, that's me on my way up in my avatar.

It's a great race for the occasion, but not a race I would choose to do again. Gentle road start for a mile or so, the road then kicks up steeply before reaching the path. I'm not too sure how much building work has been done on the path as it's at least a couple of years since I've ran it. As you can expect the rest of the climb has "challenging" bits, but I always managed to run these knowing that the gradient lessens.

The part I really didn't like was the descent. It's fast, technical & incredibly unforgiving should you take a tumble Sad . Beware of walkers, dogs etc. They just don't seem to realise what is happening around them. It's a bit like cyclists coming in on the Prom des Anglais & pedestrians not noticing them. Once you've got back to the road section, your quads & feet will be screaming for mercy & the run in feels uphill.

For the first couple of times I did it I wore road shoes, but then moved on to light trail shoes. I don't think fell shoes are necessary & you'll be glad of the cushioning on the descent. I liked to have my shoes laced up pretty tight & I would put plasters around my toes, but fully expect to lose most of your heel skin, if not on the day then on the following days. Try to get your feet in a bucket of water or Llyn Padarn after finishing.

I had hoped to get along & support friends doing it, but family stuff has got in the way.

Have fun & let us know how you got on.
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't finished my race report!!
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tivmeistergeneral wrote:

Never mind that, I'm still waiting for the report of when you recce'd the bike course Rolling Eyes Very Happy !
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer wrote:
tivmeistergeneral wrote:

Never mind that, I'm still waiting for the report of when you recce'd the bike course Rolling Eyes Very Happy !

Err, here you go:

flat for a bit, steep uphill for a bit, false flat for a long time, nice downhill, then big climb starts, fair gradient for the most part, plateau at the top, uphill through the forest then it's pretty much downhill from there apart from a few small kicks upwards!

But you knew that already Very Happy
tatatrisec

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer, what a race Snowdon is, I'm absolutely shot to bits.

Wet and very misty from about 500m which was a good thing because I could not see what was to come.
After 1/2 way cafe I had to dig really deep to keep 'running'.
Two sections I walked as the incline was just too much to run any faster.
Got to the top and could barely see 10m in front of me and given the drop either side, just as well !!
The decent was as described, a nightmare the wind was blowing me down the first steep section and at one stage I was out of control completely.
Only fell once but managed to grab the fencing along side me to prevent cutting my self too badly and pleased to say lived to tell this tale....
Did a 1:07 to the top and 39.5 decent, passed by over 50 people on the way down, most of whom had a death wish and I can remember at least two of them almost succeeded, one in a heap and one nursing a severly cut arm.
All in all a cracking test of determination to succeed (IM training) but a one off.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort corustrisec, I've just been watching the race on S4/Clic. Looks like the day was cold & wet enough to keep a lot of walkers away. Did the cooler weather also mean that you didn't suffer any blister issues? Was it a one off, or are you hungry for more?

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=411227881

I've still not got anything to focus on. We're off to the Dordogne & Marennes camping for 3 weeks soon, so I think I'll mostly be focussing on emptying wine bottles Very Happy .

Can we get to page 100?
MarkD

Location: Cornwall or Dubai - depending on whether its playtime or work time

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's me signed up for Roth next yr, any other of this yrs IM Francer's signed up for Roth or any other IM events?
Morg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanza

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two...
tatatrisec

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdon race was epic. Still can't touch any part of my quads.
There was still people draging kids and dogs up the mountain in that weather and they did slow me up a bit but didn't want to kill myself decending at the speed some people were. No blisters from soaking wet feet just sore heels.
Have I got the bug though, oh yes. Want to do it next year hopefully with a view, not just mist. But having seen film of previous years and the drops either side of the track I think that may slow me down even more!

Next year, just failed to get a spot for lake Placid, sold out in minutes I'm going for Alpe d'Huez middle distance and the Ventoux long distance race. Just seem to have a thing for French mountains.

Good luck to all those who are already committed Wink to next years events and to those who are thinking about it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 98 of 99

Jump to: