Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Black Friday 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Black Friday 2018 Reply with quote

Toying with getting a new watch this year and noticed that Wiggle have gone early with 4 weeks of Black Friday deals including the Garmin 735XT for £215 with the HRM Run Strap.

I've got a Fenix 2 at the moment but like the idea of wrist HR and all day tracking etc. but wondering what else might come up.
Fenix 3 HR looks perfect but prices seem to be holding up really well on those.

Anyone other thoughts or anyone else on the lookout for anything?
Ps. Direct Drive trainer would be nice if there are any good deals on the old Flux.
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacx Neo 2 is coming out and its really no different to the first one, well L / R pedal mechanics but not worth buying again. I recon there'll be some deals popping up on the original soon. Its a great piece of kit.

Garmin 735 looked great but its borderline if it'll last for an Ironman unless you are pretty quick taking into account their quoted times wont be close to whats achievable in real life.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Tacx Neo 2 is coming out and its really no different to the first one, well L / R pedal mechanics but not worth buying again. I recon there'll be some deals popping up on the original soon. Its a great piece of kit.

Garmin 735 looked great but its borderline if it'll last for an Ironman unless you are pretty quick taking into account their quoted times wont be close to whats achievable in real life.

Wiggle and Sigma have already discounted as part of their early black friday deals to c£870. I'm tempted.

The better 735deal was(/is?) the bundle with the swim and tri straps for £230. You can sell the swim strap for >£30 and so have a bundle with tri strap instead of run strap for less money.

Agree with hammerer on battery life. If you're going long and not sub 10, I wouldn't practically want to trust it. Despite headline claims of 14hrs. Everyone I know that has one uses it for the swim, then a separate bike computer, and then for the run. I know one person who has the multisport mode set to indoor bike mode for IM, that way she gets full race time info, plus total TSS info etc, but can upload a bike gps file for strava purposes.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for full cycling collection, been using same £15 jersey and bib shorts for last 2 years since I started. So far in last month have bought a Gabba (not yet tried on), second pair shorts, gloves and overshoes.

Wetsuit is 15 years old so will have one eye out; looked all summer on eBay for ~£100, not sure how much of an upgrade anything would be and not tried any on either so not ideal.
Could be tempted by power meter as a toy to enjoy, but again more likely to risk second hand.
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out TC's thread on the Zone3 wetsuit sale, although he's talking about the top of the range they have a lot of others with about 50% off I think

Jeff
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, zone 3 aspire £150 looks worth ordering for size try on at very least
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy916

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:

Aspire size S fits me great, and an excellent suit for that money. I'm 'small-tall' in 2XU sizings and between S and XS in Huub in case that helps (I had an XS Huub which was fine once on but difficult to get in and out of rapidly)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 735XT:

Wrist HR is pretty pants, but you can massively improve battery life by turning it off. The Garmin HRM straps are sh1te (fail/fall apart often), I now use a Wahoo Tickr. So I'd go for watch-only. Apart from that, I'm pleased with it.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stenard"

Agree with hammerer on battery life. If you're going long and not sub 10, I wouldn't practically want to trust it. Despite headline claims of 14hrs. Everyone I know that has one uses it for the swim, then a separate bike computer, and then for the run. I know one person who has the multisport mode set to indoor bike mode for IM, that way she gets full race time info, plus total TSS info etc, but can upload a bike gps file for strava purposes.[/quote]

I used my 935 at Wales, it's the only computer I have. I just used it in tri mode and didn't make any other power saving adjustments. I went 14.30 in the race and the watch was showing 28% power left.

(Swim splits are at 500mtrs, bike 8kms and run 1km).
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my 735 at Lanza this year with the wrist HRM turned on and Glonass turned off. The battery died at about 11:50 into the race. I got chatting with another bloke on the run who's 735 had died at pretty much the same point in the race, so not an isolated case Mad
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I used my 735 at Lanza this year with the wrist HRM turned on and Glonass turned off. The battery died at about 11:50 into the race. I got chatting with another bloke on the run who's 735 had died at pretty much the same point in the race, so not an isolated case Mad

Why not just turn it off and use a chest strap? It will be way more accurate too. The optical HR uses a lot of battery. I always race 'long' with Bluetooth off as well.
doug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked as a developer of (non Garmin) gps sports watches, you want to turn off everything you don't use:
- OHR a big battery hog, can reduce battery life by about 10% over a chest strap
- bluetooth, this can be especially bad if you are linked to your phone and then go out of range as it will keep trying to connect, best to turn it off
- backlight, set the timeout as short as possible and to the lowest brightness
- glonass uses a different set of frequencies to gps so uses an extra RF stage, the signal is also encoded quite differently so again uses extra juice
- vibrate alerts, the vibe motor is power hungry so keep these alerts to a minimum
- navigation, having nav turned on is not too bad, but don't keep it on the trail screen as this uses extra cpu cycles to draw/rotate the trail

Do all that and you might get close to the advertised battery figures on a relatively new watch.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
stenard wrote:
Agree with hammerer on battery life. If you're going long and not sub 10, I wouldn't practically want to trust it. Despite headline claims of 14hrs. Everyone I know that has one uses it for the swim, then a separate bike computer, and then for the run. I know one person who has the multisport mode set to indoor bike mode for IM, that way she gets full race time info, plus total TSS info etc, but can upload a bike gps file for strava purposes.
I used my 935 at Wales, it's the only computer I have. I just used it in tri mode and didn't make any other power saving adjustments. I went 14.30 in the race and the watch was showing 28% power left.

(Swim splits are at 500mtrs, bike 8kms and run 1km).
That's to be expected from the 935. It's got a stated battery life of more than 24hrs hasnt it?
doug wrote:
Having worked as a developer of (non Garmin) gps sports watches, you want to turn off everything you don't use:
- OHR a big battery hog, can reduce battery life by about 10% over a chest strap
- bluetooth, this can be especially bad if you are linked to your phone and then go out of range as it will keep trying to connect, best to turn it off
- backlight, set the timeout as short as possible and to the lowest brightness
- glonass uses a different set of frequencies to gps so uses an extra RF stage, the signal is also encoded quite differently so again uses extra juice
- vibrate alerts, the vibe motor is power hungry so keep these alerts to a minimum
- navigation, having nav turned on is not too bad, but don't keep it on the trail screen as this uses extra cpu cycles to draw/rotate the trail

Do all that and you might get close to the advertised battery figures on a relatively new watch.
That's pretty much what I did for my first, with a 2 year old 920.
- no OHR to even worry about
- I normally have watch vibrations every 5mins in OW swim mode. Dialled that back to every 10
- BT off, activity tracking off, GLONASS off, backlight off completely
- deleted all my CIQ data fields from my bike profile. No autolap, so no vibrations (I was using a bike computer as my main device). I had HRM and PM connected.
- run still had km autolap setup, on vibrate. HRM and stryd connected. CIQ field for the stryd.

Lasted fairly comfortably from memory, but after 2yrs its definitely down from the headline quoted battery life. In a previous test earlier that summer using the same settings, I started it on one of my long bike rides (c6hrs) and then left it running on the windowsill the rest of the day. It achieved 14hrs. https://www.instagram.com/p/BkYQk-sFsk4/
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just buy a 920 xt good for a 12 hr + IM
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: