Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TrainerRoad vs Zwift

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevemac32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: TrainerRoad vs Zwift Reply with quote

I am currently using TrainerRoad with my smart trainer and have been for a few years. Personally I think its great and simple to use with some really good plans in it.

All I seem to hear about these days is Zwift and it intrigues me, so before I sign up for the 7 day free trial have any of you used both systems for an extended amount of time? If so what are the pros and cons and which do you prefer and why?

Thanks
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

quite a few threads along these lines already, for example, this might get you started:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99253&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TR is great for structured workouts, while Zwift is gameification of indoor training. However, Zwift is adding more structured workouts

I love the competitive element of Zwift, so If I am looking for a good zone 4 workout it is much easier to get motivated by a Zwift ride than a TR set.

More turbo trainers, like the new Tacx Neo and Neo Bike are specifically targeted at the Zwift user, with features like simulating cobbled surfaces and assisted power on downhill sections, but for me these are pretty useless features which in no way assist my training
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used both a fair bit and just prefer the structure offered in trainerroad over zwift. I always seemed to have a more productive session on trainerroad which is why I have stuck with it over zwift
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwift is more of a game, trainerroad is serious training. I find Zwift can make me lazy at times, so easy to just spin round but then climbing the alpe is a challenge and a positive to it. Races are a shitfest , but good fun if you dont take the results too seriously, ie the 65 year old that faster than chris froome up a climb. If you want a free (for now) "cycling simulator" then you could try roadgrandtours or virtugo
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwifted for a couple of years but drifting back to Trainer Road tbh.

I'm not motivated by the races particularly, and the group rides are a bit of a nonsense as it seems to be a continual battle to keep the group together and very rarely do you get a ride at the stated intensity.

Go on a longer ride and you're off the back when refuelling/nipping off for a break etc.

I'm bored of just noodling about so that really leaves the training sessions and plans. TR's plans are clearly better, and there doesn't seem to be any extra motivation now looking at a virtual avatar and a power number over looking at a yellow line on a bar chart and a power number.

I'm going to start Iron Distance base in Feb on TR and will then see if its worth keeping the Zwift subs.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: