Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Horse vs bike at Windsor Triathlon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Horse vs bike at Windsor Triathlon Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-44512967

edit: here's the vid...

http://road.cc/content/news/243742-video-horse-and-rider-struck-undertaking-cyclist-participating-triathlon

Last edited by Thing of the Fountains on Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be funnier if it wasn't such an serious incident.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very serious indeed...I would like to hear everyone's story before I cast a full judgement though.

Does the race have any local rules such as as not crossing the centre line?

Personally, I would have given a warning and been in the centre if the incoming lane....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Race1+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horse riders video is on Facebook.

People are passing her, inevitably at speed but mainly on the other side of the road. Then 2 riders for some reason go down the inside (gutter!) of her. Clipping her.

Not going to defend the riders since its idiotic. They deserve to have the book thrown at them.

Do wonder how a local in the area will have failed to notice the massive signs forewarning them of the upcoming Windsor Triathlon.

Windsor has always attracted a more "serious" competitor (re try hard @*&$!) than say London or Blenheim. Obviously these people are all gunning for a shot at the Olympics and they aren't going to let other people get in their way of their aspirations

ETA. From the BBC site

Quote:
Amanda Coyne, who lives near the route of the race, said she had encountered cyclists riding "dangerously" while driving shortly before 09:00.

"I nearly had a heart attack as I nearly got hit by a car which had been forced to overtake cyclists who were riding four-abreast," she said.

"They were riding at such speeds and didn't care who was coming in front of them and who was behind them and I really worried there was going to be a terrible accident."

So Amanda here nearly got hit head on by a car doing a dodgy overtake of 4 riders (4 abreast is ill advised but it's not like they are invisible) and she blames the riders for being on the road. Confused
Whisk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race1+ wrote:

ETA. From the BBC site

Quote:
Amanda Coyne, who lives near the route of the race, said she had encountered cyclists riding "dangerously" while driving shortly before 09:00.

"I nearly had a heart attack as I nearly got hit by a car which had been forced to overtake cyclists who were riding four-abreast," she said.

"They were riding at such speeds and didn't care who was coming in front of them and who was behind them and I really worried there was going to be a terrible accident."

So Amanda here nearly got hit head on by a car doing a dodgy overtake of 4 riders (4 abreast is ill advised but it's not like they are invisible) and she blames the riders for being on the road. Confused

So the cyclists were riding too quickly (but presumably slower than the motorists), but slow enough that motorists were "forced" to overtake them dangerously Rolling Eyes

Sounds like she just resented the fact that there were cyclists on her road
tin pot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the outcome is the race is held on closed roads in future, as should all races, I don’t care who was at fault.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K ‘18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"..my horse, who is bombproof on the road."

Clearly not, from the way it is behaving. Would love to test the theory further with my road-legal MX bike though.
doug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
As long as the outcome is the race is held on closed roads in future, as should all races, I don’t care who was at fault.

Be careful what you wish for, this would herald the end of triathlon as a participatory sport as only the largest (most expensive) races will be able to negotiate and afford closed roads. No more Outlaw, 113, Celtman, club run races. We will just be left with M-dot, London, Leeds, Dorney and not much more.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

Then the race will be no more as will many others
SidSnot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idiotic riding and reading the Humanrace posts they are taking it very seriously with BTF involvement and have contacted the horse rider.
Its a shame it has tarnished what is a great event and an enjoyable race yesterday.
Reading comments on various SM posts its sadly adding to the anti-cyclist sentiment
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who hasn't seen the video shot by the horse rider, there was a steady stream of cyclists passing. They were obviously not slowing down as they passed (as I think most people would do if they were passing a horse on a normal ride), but they were generally passing reasonably wide. Then a group of about 4 cyclists pass at the same time and a pair of riders seem to have decided that there race is so important that they can't wait a couple of seconds and have to overtake the horse on the left hand side. I don't know why anyone would think that was a reasonable thing to do, even if there had been enough space to get through without clipping the rider.

Rather predictably, Twitter seems to be full of people complaining about cyclists "treating the public roads like a race track". It's ironic that people are using this incident as justification for demanding that cyclists have compulsory insurance and number plates, when the riders in question were in a race so had insurance and race numbers Rolling Eyes
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:

Be careful what you wish for, this would herald the end of triathlon as a participatory sport as only the largest (most expensive) races will be able to negotiate and afford closed roads. No more Outlaw, 113, Celtman, club run races. We will just be left with M-dot, London, Leeds, Dorney and not much more.

Yep, there's no way that most races could afford the extra cost of road closures and the traffic management and professional stewards that would require without putting entry prices up to a level that would chase people away. You'd end up with just the very biggest races (but probably with lots of short laps), or races that could be run entirely in parks or on private roads.

Folks complaining about cyclists racing on the public roads aren't generally advocating closing roads, they want the races to go away.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
"..my horse, who is bombproof on the road."

Clearly not, from the way it is behaving. Would love to test the theory further with my road-legal MX bike though.

To be fair, it probably wasn't expecting some idiots to try to come past on the inside.

I reckon if I was out riding my bike and someone decided to pass me at speed on the inside it would startle me and possibly cause me to swerve.

Leaving that aside, it always amazes me how accepting people are of horses on the roads when the same people can be so intolerant of cyclists. Horses generally don't travel much above walking pace, can be unpredictable and easily spooked and hold up motorists in both directions as they wait for the opportunity to pass slow and wide.

I'm surprised that there aren't more people complaining that the roads weren't made for horses and they should be on bridle ways and in fields Wink Rolling Eyes
Thing of the Fountains

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Rather predictably, Twitter seems to be full of people complaining about cyclists "treating the public roads like a race track"

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out that this is probably true. Given that the cyclists were indeed having an actual race.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I take my cyclist/triathlete hat off and step back it does surprise me that we are allowed to use open roads for races. I both participate and marshal at races every year and common sense does go out of the window for a percentage of participants when the flag drops.

Time trials and triathlons are one level as the no drafting rule keeps riders to what isn't that dissimilar to normal riding but there are a couple of crit type races near me and I have no idea how they get permission. 20/30 riders spread across the road with a number of lead cars and other vehicles.

Every incident like this is only going to put more pressure on races and organisers and potentially shut the sport down if, as mentioned, closed roads become the only option. Even then you'd have the nimby's with tacks and oil because the road is closed for a few hours.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: