Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training on a treadmill
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Training on a treadmill Reply with quote

Other than the convenience factor if you're already at the gym or if the weather's miserable, is there any benefit from running on a treadmill as opposed to outdoors?
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baby monitor only reaches so far.

Otherwise, no. Unless you like being miserable.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if like me at the moment, you're trying to get rid of something like a calf niggle. Less impact definitely helps, but I can still work my 'engine'. You could argue the same for Zwift vs the road i.e. no elements to contend with. I definitely prefer running outside though, whereas I quite enjoy Zwift (races).
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends a lot on the treadmill, the type of session and your biomechanics...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find running on a treadmill a lot harder to run fast. 4:00/km feels pretty fast on a treadmill, whereas outdoor that's pretty comfortable. The biomechanics are also different. On a treadmill I'm just rotating my legs, whereas outside you are actually having to propel yourself forwards.

One big advantage for tri though is heat adaptation. I properly cook indoors, in the same manner as on the turbo, so you get some benefits with that if you're doing a hot race. I did a fair bit more treadmill work in the build up to Bahrain for that reason, given outside temps in the UK at that time of year.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

Thanks JC. So focusing on one of those variables , are there any specific sessions that would be better done on a treadmill than outside? Let’s assume I’m training for an Oly tri.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Thanks JC. So focusing on one of those variables , are there any specific sessions that would be better done on a treadmill than outside? Let’s assume I’m training for an Oly tri.

if your form is good and your treadmill suitable, then you can do speed, speed endurance, strength endurance sessions...endurance sets too if your form is really nailed on...and as long as you build up reps and intensity cautiously...

as an extreme example, i will upload a short vid to the TT FB site...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I personally find running on a treadmill a lot harder to run fast. 4:00/km feels pretty fast on a treadmill, whereas outdoor that's pretty comfortable. The biomechanics are also different. On a treadmill I'm just rotating my legs, whereas outside you are actually having to propel yourself forwards.

One big advantage for tri though is heat adaptation. I properly cook indoors, in the same manner as on the turbo, so you get some benefits with that if you're doing a hot race. I did a fair bit more treadmill work in the build up to Bahrain for that reason, given outside temps in the UK at that time of year.

it is probable that you will adjust your body position when running fast which is harder to do on a traditional treadmill....although you can replicate this with using some incline or any of the better curved, non motorised treadmills...

fruit thief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 10km i sometimes like to do a trial run of race distance on a treadmill 1-2 weeks out. At target pace. If I can hold it, it's game on for race day. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

Good for tempo intervals, eg 3*3km at race pace. No brainwork required, just press the buttons and go.

also, being a soft southerner I prefer running on a treadmill to getting cold outside.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a good low-impact way of training the engine, but if you're going long, and the run is on tarmac, you really need the miles on that surface in your legs, to condition them.

I definitely prefer running fast outside, mentally I just find the physical motion (and air flow) easier.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a treadmill for intervals. There's very little flat around me so doing intervals at an even effort is difficult.
Ade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this workout from TriSutto when my kids are training with their swim club so I'm at the gym anyway. Works well. Bloody hard. Not at the start but it gets there.

https://www.triathlete.com/2015/02/training/dreadmill-benefits-treadmill-training_112345
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ade wrote:
I use this workout from TriSutto when my kids are training with their swim club so I'm at the gym anyway. Works well. Bloody hard. Not at the start but it gets there.

https://www.triathlete.com/2015/02/training/dreadmill-benefits-treadmill-training_112345

Thanks for the link. Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Ade wrote:

much of the pre amble is poor and/or incorrect...

Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
Ade wrote:

much of the pre amble is poor and/or incorrect...

Plus short (30sec) reps given the ramp-up/down speeds of most machines is a lot of button pushing and not much actual running.

My 'go to' session on a treadmill is 3min hard / 2min easy. 6 reps with 5min w/u & c/d makes 40min fly by. Hard can be anything from a nice cruise pace to something much quicker or a big incline. Easy can be a slightly slower jog, or a walk. Just steady running for 40min is a long time to stare at a clock.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: