Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tenby Long Course Weekend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why I ended up reading this thread again but thought I'd add. If you were a LCW athlete and didn't get your 4th medal at preso, you can get it by email Activity Wales.

I did that about 6 weeks ago and they sent me one in the post, no charge. Not sure why I wanted it, just to complete the set that sits in a box at the back of the cupboard I guess Very Happy
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Not sure why I ended up reading this thread again but thought I'd add. If you were a LCW athlete and didn't get your 4th medal at preso, you can get it by email Activity Wales.

I did that about 6 weeks ago and they sent me one in the post, no charge. Not sure why I wanted it, just to complete the set that sits in a box at the back of the cupboard I guess Very Happy

Good to know. I didn't go back for the 4th medal. But, like you it'll just go in the box ontop of the wardrobe
hartley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enter 3 events individually it costs £150. If you enter them together it £249? Have I got that right? Why would you enter them together if it costs £100 more (apart from getting a medal to throw in a draw and collect dust).
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartley wrote:
If you enter 3 events individually it costs £150. If you enter them together it £249? Have I got that right? Why would you enter them together if it costs £100 more (apart from getting a medal to throw in a draw and collect dust).

It wasn't that much this year, I think it was £50 more. I paid £249 in 2017 but that was for a VIP charity spot because I left entering too late.
hartley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it should be less if you enter all 3?
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartley wrote:
Surely it should be less if you enter all 3?

I'm not Activity Wales, you'd be better asking them. I'm just a regular Joe that likes entering the LCW category. I don't lose sleep over it.
kennyOX2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've entered this for 2019 and really looking forward to it. I've done IM Wales previously (2015) and whilst I know this is very different, I'm looking forward to the magic of Tenby again.

Is this a TT bike event or roadie? I know I could use either, just as you could in an IM, but I was wondering if its more of a sit up, smell the roses and 'sportive' ride or head down, get aero and keep an eye on the Watts type ride.

Any advice or further opinion much appreciated.

Also, anyone with experience of the Giltar hotel, I'm all ears....

Thanks,

K
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is one of the more annoying aspects of an otherwise superb event.

You can go TT or roadie, there is no 'rules'.

Trouble is you have 100's doing it as a sportive, noodling around in groups and then the majority of the long coursers want to do it on TT's, raced, riding solo. Roads are open, so there's traffic pinch points etc as well.

They compound this problem by spreading the long coursers throughout the field; I was wave 3 so a couple of hours after the early starters and behind thousands of sportiveists.

Result is a pretty uncomfortable mix of riders, on narrow roads through no one's fault individually just people riding with very different aims.

Logic says put the Long coursers off in wave 1 - that way you get the first longer loop without this, and then the field is pretty spread by the time you catch lap 2 backmarkers.

If they did this a good event becomes great.

If yu are looking to race on a TT bike, prepare for numerous delays/hold ups and try and roll with out rather that get wound up..
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

Trouble is you have 100's doing it as a sportive, noodling around in groups and then the majority of the long coursers want to do it on TT's, raced, riding solo. Roads are open, so there's traffic pinch points etc as well.

They compound this problem by spreading the long coursers throughout the field; I was wave 3 so a couple of hours after the early starters and behind thousands of sportiveists.

Result is a pretty uncomfortable mix of riders, on narrow roads through no one's fault individually just people riding with very different aims.

Logic says put the Long coursers off in wave 1 - that way you get the first longer loop without this, and then the field is pretty spread by the time you catch lap 2 backmarkers.

If yu are looking to race on a TT bike, prepare for numerous delays/hold ups and try and roll with out rather that get wound up..

Spot on with my experience too. It did get busy in places with groups and cars in the mix. Although there are rumours that they will close the roads for next year.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Spot on with my experience too. It did get busy in places with groups and cars in the mix. Although there are rumours that they will close the roads for next year.

Yeah, echo this. Closed roads is the only thing that would see me return. Either that or I'd do the swim and the marathon, because the weekend overall is still brilliant.
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your after a time & position over the weekend then definitely TT. I've done it twice & I don't share the bad experience others have had on the bike. The whole weekend is superb in my opinion.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
If your after a time & position over the weekend then definitely TT. I've done it twice & I don't share the bad experience others have had on the bike. The whole weekend is superb in my opinion.

You missed the worst of it by doing the run out to Freshwater West twice/long loop twice..... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Bully17

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartley wrote:

Exactly what I thought so I've entered the three events individually as dont want a £100 medal and t-shirt(?)
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Doca wrote:

You missed the worst of it by doing the run out to Freshwater West twice/long loop twice..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ha yes, could be.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations for accommodation? Don't want too much of a trek in and out of Tenby after bike and marathon!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: