Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Free Solo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Free Solo Reply with quote

Anyone else watch this last night at one of the cinema screenings?

Abso-flippin-lutely epic. I was reasonably informed on the feat itself before the film, but wow. What a documentary. That was just complete physical and mental perfection pulling that off!
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen but thanks for the tip...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't have to pay for the Star Wars spin-off?
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was due to go and had tickets but other things conspired to get in the way so sadly missed it..... Sad Mad
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off to see this tomorrow night, can't wait!
Doca

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to see this last night. Still thinking about it......

Worth the effort to go and see it.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:

also got to see it at the weekend. awesome documentary and what an amazing, bonkers achievement - the reaction of the ground based guy filming it was superb and probably how I would have reacted.

I wonder if Honnold will continue to solo big walls - it's not a sport that has many old climbers Rolling Eyes
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Doca wrote:

also got to see it at the weekend. awesome documentary and what an amazing, bonkers achievement - the reaction of the ground based guy filming it was superb and probably how I would have reacted.

I wonder if Honnold will continue to solo big walls - it's not a sport that has many old climbers Rolling Eyes

I think he will continue to solo stuff, but won't have the same obsessive 'need' as he did with El Cap. There's nowhere else on earth that has the same history and pull that i think meant a lot to him. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that is just looking for the next level in difficulty, the next (bigger) adrenaline rush etc. He'll just take whatever he wants to do in his stride. Not that i know anything! haha but that's my opinion. A very likeable guy!
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
Doca wrote:

I think he will continue to solo stuff, but won't have the same obsessive 'need' as he did with El Cap. There's nowhere else on earth that has the same history and pull that i think meant a lot to him. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that is just looking for the next level in difficulty, the next (bigger) adrenaline rush etc. He'll just take whatever he wants to do in his stride. Not that i know anything! haha but that's my opinion. A very likeable guy!

I wouldn't sell him life insurance.
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched this a couple of weeks ago on sky movies. A really good film. I genuinely was sat on the edge of my seat. A lot of his mental attributes aligned with a book I was reading at the time called the Psychopath Whisperer. I'm certainly not saying he's a psychopath, but he has some of the traits with respect to dismissal of consequences and lack of emotional understanding of others.

I also watched Dawn Wall on Netflix yesterday. That was just as good. Very different, and a much deeper back story, but is very aligned as has some of the same characters. It also made me appreciate some of the skills required by Alex Hannold even more when you see how many attempts some of the pitches took on the dawn wall.

I've done some indoor climbing courses in the past, and these documentaries, and the skills of those involved, blows my mind.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Dawn Wall is equally as brilliant. I thiought it was a better 'story' but didn't get close to the cinematography of FS. Both great films.

How Tommy Caldwell can climb at the level he does i.e. one of the very best in the world, with half a finger missing i have no flippin idea!!!!!

To really appreciate it though, i do think you have to give climbing a go yourself. Guess it's like cycling up Alpe d'huez or something and then comparing to the ridiculous average speeds of the pros!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: