Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
(no) Trouble with new GP 5000 tubeless.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
big nosed witch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: (no) Trouble with new GP 5000 tubeless. Reply with quote

**UPDATE** Thanks to good comms with conti, turns out I was sent the clincher not the TL... so accepting I look a clown, disregard the following! On the flip side, the clinchers are pretty good at holding air without a tube...

Just a quick note, I have just been through a Conti GP 5000 tubeless... interestingly used because the Zipp Tangente tubeless suffered an immense slash across the main carcass on day two. All installed properly, 60ml sealant etc. Lost pressure over the first ride, today, which was "luckily" wet as upon returning home I could see multiple air bubbles pushing through the sidewall, otherwise I would have assumed it was a leaky valve etc and wasted hours trying to find the problem. See link (hopefully). For mine to be faulty suggests there are others, so bottom line, there may be a duff batch out. Worth checking before you invest your life tweaking valves etc.

FWIW, it seemed like a good tyre; definitely more robust on the main tread than the Zipp or Pro ones, but the sidewalls did feel flimsy. I love the 4S in clinchers, so I am hoping this is a one-off. Back to the Pro-ones. I've emailed conti.

Last edited by big nosed witch on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
snowie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may get a quicker resolution from the company you purchased them from.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't yet use tubeless on my road bike, but have had self-sealing bubbling like that with some Specialized 2Bliss cross/gravel tyres which sorted had sorted itself out by the following day. A bit disconcerting at the time, but no problems since.
straightouttabrompton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have you found the 5000's after a bit longer using them?

I need a new set of tyres. Looking at either a pair of 5000's for £80 (probikekit) or another pair of 4000's for £55 (wiggle). Are they worth the extra £25 would you say?
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straightouttabrompton wrote:
How have you found the 5000's after a bit longer using them?

I need a new set of tyres. Looking at either a pair of 5000's for £80 (probikekit) or another pair of 4000's for £55 (wiggle). Are they worth the extra £25 would you say?

Unless you're going tubeless (in which case get them here: https://www.mantel.com/uk/continental-grand-prix-5000-tl) then just stick with the 4000s2. I have not noticed any difference, albeit I have changed wheels etc as well so obviously not a direct comparison. But I wouldn't pay a 50% premium for the 5000's.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always preferred the Vitoria Corsa to the GP4000, however, the 28mm GP5000, feel nice to ride, with more grip than the Vitoria's, which is a real bonus in traffic, and the feel pretty quick. However, they are wearing at an alarming rate - after 1000km there is a lot of wear on the rear and the centre of the tread is starting to square off
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: