Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New car dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simoncrouch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I suggest a Ford Ranger Wildtrak, fully kitted and get your bike in the back no problem.

I currently have a rather excellent V70. Great car if a little dull to drive.
BMX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate cars overall but we currently have a courtesy new Vauxhall Insignia, utter balls, steering wheel full of poo-poops, seats that have destroyed my back, parking sensors that go off when you pull in to let oncoming traffic through, ~#*$ bleeps when I put a bag on the passenger seat and screens all over the place telling you what radio station you're listening to rather than anything usefull.

I hate cars.
Andy916

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
My Legacy is a '07 3.0R Spec B Tourer. It's a very nice car, and can be as lairy or sedate as you want (STI gearbox and chassis/underpinnings - but 3 Ltr NA engine). I think they only did it for a coupe of years; likes a drink it does!

I ran sprint and trackday Imprezas for a few years, up to 400bhp, which were exhilarating, thirsty and fragile. That was 2L with a big turbo though. In the Leggie or Forester do you get a full-size spare wheel? If so, LPG conversion makes a lot of sense for a heavier vehicle like that.

My triathlon vehicle of the last few months is a small camper. It's the size of a VW but a third of the price with a higher spec. Nissan Elgrand Jap import, with the same 3.5 V6 that you get in a 350Z. Rear camper conversion makes best use of space, with king-size bed from swivelled/flattened mid-row of seats. LPG conversion from someone who really knows their stuff, 85L tank in the spare wheel well. Smartphone app that maps the LPG forecourts, with current prices and satnav directions. Full tank of petrol too if you want massive extra range. At half the price of petrol it does the equivalent of 32-40mpg, and is cleaner/smoother/quieter than a disiesel will ever be.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, another huge bill for our POS BMW 520d means we're going to cut-loose; it truly has been a sh1t car as far as reliability/costs.

Fortunately I'd been looking at alternatives the last time we got a big bill, and having trawled though Autotrader looking at alternatives to the Subaru Outback, I can't see anything else I want for the same money (ca.£18k). All the premium German stuff is lower spec and expensive for similar mileage (and prob sh1t like our 520), the Skoda Superb is similar cost, lower spec, Passats are similar money lower spec. Have to admit to being a Subaru convert, and I like the niche aspect, and the fact that Japanese cars are well specced in top trim and the reliability (touches wood).

So I'm going to look at an Outback 2.0d SE Premium tomorrow in Bristol. Would have preferred Petrol, which is the only choice from 18MY, but petrol choices still limited/expensive.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So, another huge bill for our POS BMW 520d means we're going to cut-loose; it truly has been a sh1t car as far as reliability/costs.

Fortunately I'd been looking at alternatives the last time we got a big bill, and having trawled though Autotrader looking at alternatives to the Subaru Outback, I can't see anything else I want for the same money (ca.£18k). All the premium German stuff is lower spec and expensive for similar mileage (and prob sh1t like our 520), the Skoda Superb is similar cost, lower spec, Passats are similar money lower spec. Have to admit to being a Subaru convert, and I like the niche aspect, and the fact that Japanese cars are well specced in top trim and the reliability (touches wood).

So I'm going to look at an Outback 2.0d SE Premium tomorrow in Bristol. Would have preferred Petrol, which is the only choice from 18MY, but petrol choices still limited/expensive.

the Posh car will need to go next year and i am really impressed with my XV...but i don't really want two XVs...so not sure what to get next.

It will be petrol though...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a Legacy driver many years ago and loved it (although as a petrol engine I was getting <20mpg when I thrashed it).

Anyway, after I got rid of my 520d after it's catastrophic £3k gearbox failure at 105,000 miles (effing BMW POS as above), I went for a Volvo S60.

I had one of the originals back in 2002 and absolutely loved it - one of the most comfy and nice cars I'd ever driven. It got me hooked on Volvo for many years (several V70's after that).

So I got a 2017 S60 a few months ago for around £16k.... and wow, totally bowled over with it. I get 50+mpg (genuine) even though I give it some welly. It absolutely p*sses on my old 520d in terms of performance/acceleration - it really goes like sh1t off a shovel. It's an utter JOY to drive and in great comfort too. Up here North of the Wall where we're blessed with endless miles of good, empty, windy country roads, I feel like I'm in a Top Gear article when I take it cross-country. I often laugh out loud to myself as I power it through long, never-ending curves, clinging unrelentingly to the tarmac no matter how hard I push... the pleasure leaves me always looking for reasons to take it up the Glen on my own.

Mine's a saloon, but the estate is apparently as good. New model out shortly, I believe...

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye the V60 is a bonny car, but the boot is fairly small for a family estate; the Polestar model would be awesome though. I want something I can take 4 people, luggage and occasionally the bike dismantled on top of the luggage, like when we visit the in-laws in Glasgow (hope to ride up over the Campsies during Xmas). XC60 still a bit pricey for lower mileage high spec examples.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame they stopped doing the V70... whenever I did family road-trips in that, packing up was never a case of 'can we squeeze it in?' but more a case of 'do we need it? Dunno, put it in anyway, there's room'.

The V90, its replacement, looks really nice but is silly money.

My 15 minutes of fame
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
It's a shame they stopped doing the V70... whenever I did family road-trips in that, packing up was never a case of 'can we squeeze it in?' but more a case of 'do we need it? Dunno, put it in anyway, there's room'.

The V90, its replacement, looks really nice but is silly money.

And just to add, the XC60 was way too expensive for what it was. If you look at performance, MPG and space, the V70 beat it on all these hands down (and there was the AWD option as well) and was still several thousands cheaper.

My 15 minutes of fame
snowie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Kia Niro - there is no other car for a triathlon forum surely?

Hyundai 'kona'
doug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Hyundai 'kona'

There is even a Hyundai Kona Iron Man special edition (though this is more for the Tony Stark wannabes)

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/kona-iron-man/index.aspx

Or how about a Nissan Xterra ?

Ford used to do various m-dot tie in cars when they were a sponsor
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
snowie wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Hyundai 'kona'

There is even a Hyundai Kona Iron Man special edition (though this is more for the Tony Stark wannabes)

The audacious style and technical genious of money making... Very Happy

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
snowie wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

Hyundai 'kona'

or how about the Mercedes Marco Polo Ironman

https://www.mercedes-benz.at/content/austria/mpc/mpc_austria_website/de/home_mpc/mpv_and_camper_van/home/new_mpvs_and_camper_vans/models/camper_vans/marco_polo_horizon/fascination/marco_polo_ironman_2016.html

JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a Bilbo's get in on the basis he"s a mate of Frodo?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's done. We are now a 2 Subaru household, bought an Outback. Let's hope there's some snow again this winter, so we can pity all the prematurely smug 2WD SUV drivers who've bogged down Very Happy To be fair, our village is on the Cotswold escarpment, so it's either up or downhill to get there, and the main road through was closed due to snow in March (to lorries at least), so 4WD is useful.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: