Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Triathlon Sports Science Nutrition Study: Help wanted please

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon G.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Triathlon Sports Science Nutrition Study: Help wanted please Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I’m wondering if any TriTalkers could possibly help my daughter Emily out with her dissertation on triathlon nutrition. She is in her final year at Salford Uni doing a degree in Sports Science
Your commitment would just be to keep a 4 day nutrition diary and fill in a general knowledge questionnaire about food nutrition. All responses are kept anonymous and confidential.
Originally, it was only for triathletes who do a minimum of 5 events a year (at sub elite level) – but she has now broadened it to anyone who has done some triathlons and still does other endurance type events e.g. running/cycling.
If able to help, please email her at…
e.galloway@edu.salford.ac.uk
saying something like…
“Hi Emily, I’ve heard about your triathlon nutrition study and would like to take part”
It would be great if some of you could help. It would be much appreciated if you could email her in the next few days as the deadline for new participants is 20th March. Also, hopefully, the feedback from the study would be beneficial too?
Thank you,
Simon G.
Simon G.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the people who've agreed to take part. She's asked me to emphasise that there will scientific based feedback from the results - if that's of interest? Still time for others to email her Very Happy
Cheers,
Simon.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd noticed that no one had responded....i was intrigued as to how the responses could be kept confidential...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Simon G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have responded - by emailing Emily directly.
When you apply, you are given a participant number so as to ensure anonymity etc. It's all covered by the ethics procedure that all students have to adhere to and have approved by their tutor before beginning their dissertation.
I'm doing it myself too
Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon G. wrote:
Some people have responded - by emailing Emily directly.
When you apply, you are given a participant number so as to ensure anonymity etc. It's all covered by the ethics procedure that all students have to adhere to and have approved by their tutor before beginning their dissertation.
I'm doing it myself too
Smile

you miss the point...anonymity isn't confidentiality...

Simon G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, basically, this is accredited by her university - in the same way that there will be something similar for the thousands of other students nowadays when they conduct research relating to their dissertations - so there's nothing to worry about Smile
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon G. wrote:
Okay, basically, this is accredited by her university - in the same way that there will be something similar for the thousands of other students nowadays when they conduct research relating to their dissertations - so there's nothing to worry about Smile

if that were correct - which thankfully it isn't - it would say an awful lot about the education system...hopefully thousands of students will understand the difference between anonymity and confidentiality.

For clarity...the nutrition information provided cannot be classified as confidential if it is going to appear in a study...

stenard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, why would you care about confidentiality? I'd hardly consider my porridge a competitive edge.

If you are undertaking some ground breaking nutrition programme, that is effectively IP, then fair enough, but then just dont participate? Confused

Genuinely intrigued to understand why else confidentiality, if anonymity is built in, is of concern.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Out of interest, why would you care about confidentiality? I'd hardly consider my porridge a competitive edge.

If you are undertaking some ground breaking nutrition programme, that is effectively IP, then fair enough, but then just dont participate? Confused

Genuinely intrigued to understand why else confidentiality, if anonymity is built in, is of concern.

if you work in any form of clinical practice, you cannot offer confidentiality and then publicise it...it is not a good start to not understand the difference between two fairly basic concepts...

In the loosest sense you can discuss general findings - 50% of athletes do this - but you cannot report that 1 athlete does that..it breaks the confidentiality agreement...

For the researcher, the risk is that one athlete will indeed offer a significant insight into a certain practice which would add great value to the research...but the researcher would face a choice of not including it in the study or being unethical...

Better to get the terminology right in the first instance...

stenard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry. Yes, hadnt seen that was what the OP claimed
Simon G.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I thought it was quite clear from my OP that I'm just the father of a 20 year old girl (and long term Tri Talker Smile) just giving her dissertation study a "heads up". I’m sure many people on this forum who have children will appreciate that.
I don’t have access to Salford University “ethics procedure” but I feel sure that as many thousands of students undertake similar studies across many subject areas every year that it will have met the agreed criteria. Similarly, for whatever format the results are presented in.
I have spoken to Emily about it and the feedback will not identify any person or individual piece of data in any form.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was going to reply to the taking offence post...but it has been taken down...which is fair enough...however, i am still going to post this because it was my initial reaction..

There is a learning opportunity here on a topic that has risen its head several times of late. It allowed the OP to correct the initial post if the study guidance was incorrectly interpreted. If however that is the guidance provided by that Uni's ethics committee, then a moment of reflection may allow some corrective action to take place...if not now, then certainly in the future.

Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I'd hardly consider my porridge a competitive edge.

No, you need to be on the '10K' (hours) products for that #sorted
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: