Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Trampolines

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Trampolines Reply with quote

Looking at getting a (probably) 10ft trampoline for the little one (actually now the big one) this Christmas. There are absolutely heaps of them out there though.

Any experience on particular brands to avoid/go for? Any types of designs that cause more issues than others? Anything in particular to be aware of?

Don't really want to spend any more than £200 unless i'm really gaining some serious benefit to breaking the budget.

My first draft internet scour has thrown up Plum as being a decent looking option ... ?

Cheers
GB
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i often see second hand ones up for sale - worth a punt?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

That's the kind of thing i'm wondering about. If anyone has any experience of the risks of going 2nd hand. I guess if the springs or legs are rusty, that's not exactly going to be a secret, neither will tearing/loosening of the threads holding the canvas parts together. Guess i just chuck the kiddo on and find out if it still bounces good enough!! Very Happy Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

That's the kind of thing i'm wondering about. If anyone has any experience of the risks of going 2nd hand. I guess if the springs or legs are rusty, that's not exactly going to be a secret, neither will tearing/loosening of the threads holding the canvas parts together. Guess i just chuck the kiddo on and find out if it still bounces good enough!! Very Happy Very Happy

i was thinking about safety...but at least you get to visit lots of people's houses and have a play Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only advise is to get a square or rectangular one, rather than a round one. Easier to fit into a corner or against a fence and therefore takes up a bit less space in your garden.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help but Kudos for the vague mid 90's Simpsons reference Laughing
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not poor quality or failure of the trampoline that will cause injury. Vast majority of trampoline accidents fall into 3 categories:
A: 2 or more people on the bed at once, colliding with each other.
B: Bouncing/falling off the bed onto the outer frame, ground or nearby object.
C: Neck/back injuries whilst tying to somersault

So,
A: always supervise and never allow 2 or more to bounce together
B: always buy a trampoline which has a robust safety enclosure
C: do not attempt to somersault on home trampolines, even if an experienced club trampoliner
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Can't help but Kudos for the vague mid 90's Simpsons reference Laughing

Wink
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB, I'll need to check emails when I get home.

About 2 years ago I got a 12ft Plum with cover, ladder and ground anchors for about 200. I'll see if I can dig out the online site.

So far it's been brilliant. The reason for a 12ft is that you can relatively safely have two kids (sub-10 years old) on at the same time without them smashing their heads together immediately. Three is just about doable as well, but four is just mayhem and should be avoided...

The cover is actually a great thing to have and shouldn't be underestimated. We have trees nearby so not only does it make it easy to clear leaves and crap, but we also seem to be in a flight corridor for pigeons who release excess weight at take-off. When we got the cover off in the spring after a winter outside the trampoline was usable in minutes.
buzzing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the Argos one earlier this year - think it was 12foot at £150 - so far so good, and I'm always a little sceptical about the quality of Argos goods.

Before that had a 1970s style no padding, no net trampoline but my heart couldn't take it anymore as the jumps got more elaborate.

Second going as big as you can - it looked huge as we put it up but fits in the corner quite well.
mw22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definitely get it anchored like Chrace!

Ours wasn't.... ended up going through the fence and into next doors garden during one windy night!

Apart from trashing a perfectly good fence... it was bent to he11 afterwards and binned.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:

C: do not attempt to somersault on home trampolines, even if an experienced club trampoliner

We started off with the best intentions but before we knew it had 6 on at a time trying to propel the youngest into orbit. The safety net and cushions blew off one bad winters, and our kids ended up doing every sort of flip known to man. Was probably the best £200 we ever spent though. We got a 14 foot round one for that price (10 foot sounds a bit small as they grow?). Good for stargazing too- comfy. Only one A&E visit & that was a false alarm.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

We started off with the best intentions but before we knew it had 6 on at a time trying to propel the youngest into orbit. The safety net and cushions blew off one bad winters, and our kids ended up doing every sort of flip known to man. Was probably the best £200 we ever spent though. We got a 14 foot round one for that price (10 foot sounds a bit small as they grow?). Good for stargazing too- comfy. Only one A&E visit & that was a false alarm.

Haha - knowing my daughter she'll be very quickly pushing the limits of what she and the equipment can do. To be honest, as long as it is manufactured properly and the safety nets etc are as good as they should be; the other dangers just fall, for me, into 'acceptable life risks'. I grew up doing stupid but fun things, and as long as i try my best to teach my children to appreciate and assess risk, then that's cool with me. I have no doubt there'll be injuries ... to be honest, it's just as likely to be me in A&E after trying to show off to the kids, i hardly have a solid track record as i sit here with torn cartilage and possibly MCL in my knee from doing stupid stuff!!

Thanks for the input though.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
fruit thief wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

Haha - knowing my daughter she'll be very quickly pushing the limits of what she and the equipment can do. To be honest, as long as it is manufactured properly and the safety nets etc are as good as they should be; the other dangers just fall, for me, into 'acceptable life risks'. I grew up doing stupid but fun things, and as long as i try my best to teach my children to appreciate and assess risk, then that's cool with me. I have no doubt there'll be injuries ... to be honest, it's just as likely to be me in A&E after trying to show off to the kids, i hardly have a solid track record as i sit here with torn cartilage and possibly MCL in my knee from doing stupid stuff!!

Thanks for the input though.

Glad it's not just me then. Starks comment there must be copied from some "we can be sued!" safety warning on the side of the trampoline. We regularly break all 3 of those rules. Smile

Only problem with the Plum we have is that the zip closure has broken so now it's only using the clips. It's enough to stop a kid flying out directly but I guess in extreme cases they could slip through. But it'd be at a lot lower speed so hey.

And yes, great for stargazing or cloud watching, good point. But who the hell would not try a somersault if they have a trampoline? It's like not eating the most awesome ice cream because it might be too cold.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Black Friday deal i actually ended up getting was a trampoline in the end!!

Went for this one, as it fit perfectly into the funny shaped gap i had, otherwise i could only go to 8ft circular (wanted 10-12) unless i put on the actual lawn, and i dind't want it hogging up the space.

SkyHigh rectangular 7ft * 10ft for £249, which i didn't think was too bad.

It's arrived in boxes in the grandparents' garage, so haven't delved in myself to see what it's like yet. That'll be afun Xmas eve job ... especially if it's grotty weather!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: