Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Sub 11 Ironman Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Hm, so doing a Zwift race followed by a 41 min Brick run took more out of me than I'd anticipated. Go figure! I shouldn't be surprised, as it's my first Brick after Zwift racing, and an undulating 8km-odd (4:40/km) is probably a fair ask after riding at or above threshold for nearly 50 mins. In fact my best 20 min power was above FTP.

I've been 'fragged' the last few days, unsurprisingly.

this is where treadmills do have value - the ease of turning every Zwift session into a brick session...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Hm, so doing a Zwift race followed by a 41 min Brick run took more out of me than I'd anticipated. Go figure! I shouldn't be surprised, as it's my first Brick after Zwift racing, and an undulating 8km-odd (4:40/km) is probably a fair ask after riding at or above threshold for nearly 50 mins. In fact my best 20 min power was above FTP.

I've been 'fragged' the last few days, unsurprisingly.

and there's me having a rest day thinking I am still keeping up with the Joneses.

Still, demon bike set tmr Twisted Evil
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:

and there's me having a rest day thinking I am still keeping up with the Joneses.

Still, demon bike set tmr Twisted Evil

Saturday is my usual rest day; I nearly always feel exhausted all day with the change of routine and running around with the kids! May actually give the Zwift racing a miss on Sunday morning and just go for a pootle on my posh endurance bike.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

18 weeks out, and starting to feel I’m in a good place. First long run this week at 22km, average a steady 5:00 pace on very tired legs so confident I’d match at IM.
Done a few weekend club rides around 120-130km and distance is feeling easier than this point previous seasons, but only ~27kmh so still a big question over going longer, faster, alone, with no change in bike.
Most important, mentally enjoying the consistent training again, becoming routine around 10 hours and nice sustainable balance in life too. Can see how can increase the hours a bit as get closer too.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri'ing Swimmer wrote:
18 weeks out, and starting to feel I’m in a good place. First long run this week at 22km, average a steady 5:00 pace on very tired legs so confident I’d match at IM.
Done a few weekend club rides around 120-130km and distance is feeling easier than this point previous seasons, but only ~27kmh so still a big question over going longer, faster, alone, with no change in bike.
Most important, mentally enjoying the consistent training again, becoming routine around 10 hours and nice sustainable balance in life too. Can see how can increase the hours a bit as get closer too.

That all sounds good TS, and I'm in much the same position. My swimming's gone off the boil while cycling's ticking over and I've made some good gains with running, consistentlyu hitting 20-25m for the last 4 weeks. Not big numbers by any means but considering I'd all but given up on any form of running, I'm very pleased. Need to get some longer bike rides going at the weekend although I've been keeping the trainerroad turbo sets going consistently.

I'm finding that 10hours is around my limit too. If I do much more than this I just start to feel really wiped out during a working week. I'll be able to get some bigger weeks in during the Easter and summer hols but ultimately 10-12hours is what I've got to play with if I want to be consistent.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hit 10 hours every week so far this year, but conversely expect Easter to put the mockers on that as we're away over the long weekend and of course time off whilst kids not at school. It might be the 'rest' I need though. Still no long rides, but plenty of volume with commuting.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first IM it took me til April to build to 20mpw, which at time was most I’d ever done, and held 20-22 til Outlaw. This time I’ve had 4 weeks at 20mpw already so will probably build further to 25mpw to aim for 3:15-3:30. Any further training time should be all on the bike but time will tell how that goes.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest week in ages last week at 14h05m (well since I did Brevet Cymru which was 16hrs alone!). First 3h ride since last summer too, and my legs felt tired all day afterwards. Still, good to get the volume in and yesterday early morning was actually pretty benign weather compared to during the week which was miserable.

Right, meetings all day, gotta go.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling a bit, at the moment. Two weeks of feeling really run down and ended up having a day off last Tuesday with a virus thingy which has proved difficult to shake off. Every TR turbo session I have done recently has ended prematurely or I've had to dial it right back and spin out the hour. I did an ftp test over the weekend and I'm 30 watts down. I knew I would sacrifice a bit with increased run volume, but that seems a hell of a lot.

On top of that, I went out and got myself injured. Completely my own fault as I had entered the Palace half last week. It was a cold morning and I just didn't warm up enough (at all) and went straight out at sub 1:30 pace. % miles later I'm hobbling with a calf strain. If it didn't hurt so much, I'd kick myself for being so stupid.

Hopefully going to reset this week, focus on the bike and get a couple of swims done. Just a dip, but frustrating when things had been pretty consistent.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a nice group on here looked like going well for aiming sub-11, hope this isn’t the start of everyone getting derailed. Better now then in 8 weeks time, but hope you and PCP back on track soon.

I’ve only recently realised that when I lost all ability to do tough turbo sessions two years ago in Feb and lost ~25W from FTP coincided with adding run volume. So far I’m managing ok, but starting to get tired. Doubts creeping in whether started training too hard too early, so might just back off or at very least stop building run volume for a bit.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid enough week last week, 10:30 with no long bike ride.

TBH I was a bit worried about my cycling as I couldn't maintain any deent power on the new flux 2 (in zwift) and was thinking my powertap had been lying to me. As it turns out it just needed a firmware upgrade and calibrating with the utility app. Yesterday's ride had me in the wattage I would have expected with the powertap. Still plenty of room for improvement but in a better place than 2 years ago when I did the Outlaw.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Peru wrote:
Still plenty of room for improvement but in a better place than 2 years ago when I did the Outlaw.

Outlaw 2017 was my last Long Dist too. Did you go sub-11 there? What's on the cards this year?
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Pedro Peru wrote:
Still plenty of room for improvement but in a better place than 2 years ago when I did the Outlaw.

Outlaw 2017 was my last Long Dist too. Did you go sub-11 there? What's on the cards this year?

No I didn't, I did 13:28 but there was 46 min T1 due to a self-inflicted tyre issue that was very stressful and will not happen again!

Also, my taper wnet all wrong. I did the coast to coast in a day 4 weeks before. After this I felt very flat, not physically but mentally and emotionally. I really struggled to do any real training and on the day of the outlaw I just couldn't push any power on the bike. I think the 'taper' and the T1 debacle contributed to a poor bike. Swim went to expectations (1:13), the run went great until 26km when I started to slow down rapidly and did 4:28 in the end.

I am swimming better than I was then, my FTP is higher now than July 2017, my running is in about the same place. Sub 11 will be a push but that's the point (for me).
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still think there's a bit of sandbagging going on here and some should be on the Sub 10 thread. 1:20 half from Poet

Luckily I can still stalk the thread as I'm too indecisive, lazy or tight to actually enter one! Although Hamburg still has entries Wink

Although I'm currently suffering the after injuries of the ultra so running is a struggle, just as I was getting some form back.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Still think there's a bit of sandbagging going on here and some should be on the Sub 10 thread. 1:20 half from Poet

I think that would be a very quiet thread these days. I suppose I could go there too, and yank Poet's chain, but that would be about it.

My post-turning-forty times are trending down, toward low 10 again. That bunch of 10:0*s is galling though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 71 of 72

Jump to: