Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Your Garmin Questions Here
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Your Garmin Questions Here Reply with quote

Thought I'd better liven the Forum up with some useful stuff Wink

Just so happens I finally got a 920XT on ebay for a reasonable price, and whilst I've managed to set it up & customise the screens for me (that took some time!) I have a question about multi-sport activities, not using Triathlon or Duathlon 'mode'.

Today I used the turbo, then did a treadmill run. I moved between 'Indoor Bike' & 'Indoor Run' modes, and for some reason, I have no data (Power or HR) on Connect. When I used just 'Indoor Bike' last night, I got all that data (Power/HR). On my Polar RCX5 I could just move between individual activity modes and get data on upload, maybe not here.

What did I do wrong?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's a good price...there are loads on there...

sorry, no idea what you did wrong...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing I need to save after each activity when moving between individual modes, unlike the Polar. I'll just set-up a custom 'brick' mode which should hopefully address this.
tommy060289

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has it saved as a multisport activity on garmin connect?

If you click on the activity there should be some tabs in there to select just the bike or just the run and will probably give oyu the data you are after!
sbezza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say, did you save each activity seperately, if not then that will probably explain the incorrect saving of data.

I have only ever used the Triathlon mode to record multisport activities, when doing a brick session for example I save each part of the brick seperately.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today's 'issue' is counting swim lengths. I did 5x400 and 3 were counted as 375m; I take it it doesn't like my tumble-turns or lack of strokes either side of a turn i.e. a lot of gliding?

Is this watch set-up for grab-turning triathletes? Very Happy
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about your 920 issues, I sold mine and opted a 620 & 810.

My 810 isn't picking up my speed sensor on my turbo wheel, it was until a couple of weeks ago and has now stopped. I've put a new battery in it and TrainerRoad is picking it up but not my Garmin.

Garmin said it may be the 810 but that recognises my PM and HRM. They are out of warranty too so no free replacements.

I don't really need it other than for vanity to log mileage after turbo sessions but hate it when things don't work.

Any ideas?
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I'm guessing I need to save after each activity when moving between individual modes, unlike the Polar. I'll just set-up a custom 'brick' mode which should hopefully address this.

You shouldnt need to.

I'd never used a manual multisport before, but just followed the basic instructions sat at my desk, and it worked recording the HR data.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1420967973

The only thing you have to do that the instructions don't specify is, quite logically, press the enter button on the new mode you want to switch to.
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So today's 'issue' is counting swim lengths. I did 5x400 and 3 were counted as 375m; I take it it doesn't like my tumble-turns or lack of strokes either side of a turn i.e. a lot of gliding?

Is this watch set-up for grab-turning triathletes? Very Happy

Simple question, but are you on the latest firmware? Regardless, it might be worth switching back to another recent version of the firmware. They're constantly tweaking the swim recognition algorithm, and with everyone having slightly different swim strokes to others, it tends to be that one algorithm works best for one person, and in trying to fix it for another person, it can cause issues for the original person.

The general rule with regards firmware updates that specify a swim algorithm change is that unless the firmware is adding other new features/fixes you definitely want, don't bother updating if you're getting good lap swimming recognition.

Separately, if you're so inclined to fix your training logs, you can amend the file using this: http://www.swimmingwatchtools.com/
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:

My 810 isn't picking up my speed sensor on my turbo wheel, it was until a couple of weeks ago and has now stopped. I've put a new battery in it and TrainerRoad is picking it up but not my Garmin.

Garmin said it may be the 810 but that recognises my PM and HRM. They are out of warranty too so no free replacements.

I don't really need it other than for vanity to log mileage after turbo sessions but hate it when things don't work.

Any ideas?

Presumably you've tried unpairing and re-pairing the speed sensor?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy060289 wrote:
has it saved as a multisport activity on garmin connect?

If you click on the activity there should be some tabs in there to select just the bike or just the run and will probably give oyu the data you are after!

Ah okay thanks. Looked on the desktop site (who does that eh?) and it does have a bike & run tab. Sorted Smile Didn't see that on the mobile app.

Treadmill running does throw-off some of the running dynamics doesn't it! At least my foot balance is only 0.2% off 50/50 though.

stenard wrote:

Simple question, but are you on the latest firmware?

Separately, if you're so inclined to fix your training logs, you can amend the file using this: http://www.swimmingwatchtools.com/

Yes, I'm on 8.20.0.

Thanks for the link above.
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
PCP wrote:

Any ideas?

Presumably you've tried unpairing and re-pairing the speed sensor?

Yes, unpaired it and changed the settings on the 800 (It is an 800, not an 810 as the original post) to just speed sensor then tried all the alternatives (speed/cadence) etc
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you getting on with measuring swim distances Jorgan? I've just started using a 910 and find mine often measures 1L short.

Garmins advice for common sources of error:
- Inexperience in lap swimming
- Switching stroke type mid-length
- Stopping or walking mid-length
- Dramatic changes of speeds mid-length --> tends to cause extra laps
- Performing drills that affect arm motion
- Interruptions from pool traffic --> again tends to cause extra laps
- Failing to setup pool size properly
- Using a pool that is too small for your level of swimming proficiency

My errors always seem to be on the first length of any interval, so I'm wondering if the watch needs a longer pause between starting the watch and me pushing off. Or if because I'm only in a 20m pool.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Yes, I sometimes get 1L short as well. Generally it's pretty accurate now though, I think I just need to make sure the watch 'knows' I'm tumble-turning so I just try to make the motion of my left arm more dramatic to let it know I'm changing direction.

Last week I tried using the lap button on a 3K swim (every 500m) but that seems to have cocked it up somehow. It has the overall time down correctly of 45:** min, but actually only recorded 1500m taking 23:** as some of the intervals registered as 0m. I did have to stop it a couple of times to replace my pullbuoy (it slips if I wear jammers) - and I think perhaps just taking a few seconds penalty to adjust it might have prevented the 0m laps?

Does anyone else press the Lap (left) button when swimming?
MarkyMark76

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

Does anyone else press the Lap (left) button when swimming?

Yes. In between swim sets i use the lap button. Seems to work ok.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: