Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Home Treadmill recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barryc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Home Treadmill recommendations Reply with quote

Anyone have recommendations for a home treadmill?
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#outdoorsisfree Very Happy
Tigger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
#outdoorsisfree Very Happy

#outdoorshasnolightingatnightanditsquitescaryrunningdownnarrowwindyroadsinthesnow Very Happy
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, wait for Black Friday or post Xmas sales. We got a Reebok ZR10 down from £1399 to £399! That was in Jan 2014. Whatever you do, get an extended warranty and keep it, as it will break at some point, and the call out fee is generally more than the cover! We've been through two running decks (made of MDF and I weigh 73kg) and a primary circuit board in that time. Tbh I rarely use it now, and probably need to fire it up to make sure it doesn't seize; great if the weather's sh1t though.
twhat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Firstly, wait for Black Friday or post Xmas sales. We got a Reebok ZR10 down from £1399 to £399! That was in Jan 2014. Whatever you do, get an extended warranty and keep it, as it will break at some point, and the call out fee is generally more than the cover! We've been through two running decks (made of MDF and I weigh 73kg) and a primary circuit board in that time. Tbh I rarely use it now, and probably need to fire it up to make sure it doesn't seize; great if the weather's sh1t though.

eh ? Thats the best time to go out running.

I see they are marketing Zwift for treadmills now. Mad
I'm no technophobe but some things should be sacred.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first treadmill run in ~6 years tonight, managed 6.5km which is probably furthest ever, and only because partner was running on the one next to me. Enjoy turbo sessions but find treadmill incredibly hard menatlly and also physically Confused
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got ours when my wife was pregnant during the winter - so she could power walk on it. The main uses for me have been when I did multiple brick reps on it alongside the turbo. Tbh I can run faster outside, I too find treadmills a bit weird. But for some people they are a good way to get them running when it's wintery outside, or indeed if time crunched, you can whip-on a pair of shorts & go run for 20 mins in any weather.
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah was particularly impressed you had one with your hatred for repetitive run courses! Razz
Yeah can see how can be very useful I just wouldn’t use enough to ever have at home I don’t think even if Tri became bigger part of life. Would like a turbo to be able to get into Tri more though!
hillwall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one second hand - Pro-Form 1450 I think. Retail price was something like £1500 and I got it a year old for £250. It had been hardly used (As most second hand ones will be) so pretty much brand new. I went second hand as new ones in my price range didn't go above 16kph and I wanted the option of doing that occasionally.

I've had it a couple of years now and had no problems. Often used it quite a bit with up to 50 miles a week on it. I use it mostly due to working at home (it is in my office along side my turbo) as I can jump on it and do 5 miles yet be able to answer the phone or see emails coming in if I need to. I have a TV in front of it and tend to watch boxed sets rather than films as these seem to stave off the boredom more.

I mostly do about 5 miles at a time but I have done long runs on it up to and including marathon distance. My only annoyance is that it needs restarting after 100 minutes as it clearly has a timeout setting on it. It stops a bit abruptly at the 100 min point.

I had several naysayers on here when I asked about one (reliability, gait etc) but have found it a great piece of kit for me and my circumstances. The only issue I have had is working out kph to min/mile in my head but when I realised it was approx 12kph = 8min/mile, 14kph = 7min/mile and 16kph = 6min/mile this was solved.
chris432626

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m looking at buying one too, ProForm seem to be okay and a bit cheaper than life fitness etc.

General advice seems to be, get at least a 2.7hp motor and 2 inch+ rollers.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to walk on it, a woodway curve is probably your best option.

The other woodways are excellent for running.

Most treadmills have a cut out (the ones i did both my indoor records on annoyingly cut out after an hour), but i think you can override this on certain makes/models..

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris432626 wrote:

General advice seems to be, get at least a 2.7hp motor and 2 inch+ rollers.

.... the best one you can afford, and extend the warranty.
SammyS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the market for the same deal. I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in my own home. Have read tons of reviews, just need some real world recommendations
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammyS wrote:
I'm in the market for the same deal. I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in my own home. Have read tons of ,just need some real world recommendations

Hello, and welcome.

Do you do all your training inside, if so how do you adapt to triathlon events?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammyS wrote:
I'm in the market for the same deal. I have wanted a treadmill for ages. I don't like paying for gym memberships (just a personal thing) and hate the idea of jogging about outside so prefer to work out in my own home. Have read tons of reviews, just need some real world recommendations

Dont jog then...it's a waste of time...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: