Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
12 years to Climate Change Armageddon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: 12 years to Climate Change Armageddon Reply with quote

So this UN report.

Will we as a global people sort our stuff out over the next decade?

Sadly I am not holding my breath. Too many vested interests, egos, opportunists power grabs, fear of change, comfort zones, echo chambers, la de la de la.

Sadly I doubt that we are sufficiently evolved as a species to place nationalism and relative advantage to one side, for the greater good. Would love to be proved wrong though. This is one area where I have hope, but no real expectation.

Will our planet get renamed Water or Fire or choke?

I mean come our we can’t even get a government to work as a team far less a planet.
Something real bad happens to US during Trumps 2nd term..75%
Michelle Obama president in 2024...65%
In the next 10 years ww3 will start..47%.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta hand it to the UN...

$320m in air travel expenses last year...that's some vested interest...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the UN report from some mad bint (Sorry ladies) from crime ridden Brazil called Raquel Rolnik .... yeah, we should treat UN reports seriously Rolling Eyes
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should take climate change seriously. I don't see how the fact the UN spends 320m on flights is terribly relevant

And clearly any report written by a woman or a report written by someone in the developing world immediately invalidates it.

I really do not understand people who deny climate change.... Lets say that climate change is being overstated, what exactly is the downside of becoming more efficient and emitting less waste? Now lets say that climate change is a serious threat, what is the consequence of ignoring it
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
We should take climate change seriously. I don't see how the fact the UN spends 320m on flights is terribly relevant

deary me...

mattsurf wrote:

I really do not understand people who deny climate change.... Lets say that climate change is being overstated, what exactly is the downside of becoming more efficient and emitting less waste? Now lets say that climate change is a serious threat, what is the consequence of ignoring it

all in favour...with an emphasis on ALL...

Tony Stark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't we focus on birth control rather than worrying about which car we drive or how many air miles we do? Global 1 family 1 child solution is what is needed and if we are really that bothered the technology already exists to limit reproduction - nobody has to invent anything new. Failing that then population control via natural causes will be along pretty soon anyway, so it will all work out fine in the end, not that many of us here today will be around to see the worst of it anyway.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Why don't we focus on birth control rather than worrying about which car we drive or how many air miles we do? Global 1 family 1 child solution is what is needed and if we are really that bothered the technology already exists to limit reproduction - nobody has to invent anything new. Failing that then population control via natural causes will be along pretty soon anyway, so it will all work out fine in the end, not that many of us here today will be around to see the worst of it anyway.

we already have a degree of birth control in place...in part cultural, but mostly economic...

GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

And clearly any report written by a woman or a report written by someone in the developing world immediately invalidates it.

I don't deny it at all - I just don't think UN reports are anything except politically motivated, poorly supported nonsense from an organisation which has a track record of loony tunes authors.

If you want to be treated seriously then use authors with credibility because the UN hasnt got much. It really hasn't. If people like Trump want to deny it, then its like shooting fish in a barrel to pick fault and discredit the content.

There are plenty of very credible, verifiable reports which are more thna neough - but when anything comes out of the UN, its not realy credible when you have such politically motivated 'authors'.
SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:

I don't deny it at all - I just don't think UN reports are anything except politically motivated, poorly supported nonsense from an organisation which has a track record of loony tunes authors.
Wow! Tell us what you really think. Can you substantiate these three accusations GrahamO?

Quote:
If you want to be treated seriously then use authors with credibility because the UN hasnt got much. It really hasn't.
the U.N. does have its issues that is for sure (some appalling), but it is one organisation that works hard to recognise that we are all people sharing our planet. Who better to lead on such global issues?

Quote:
but when anything comes out of the UN, its not realy credible when you have such politically motivated 'authors'.
GrahamO is there one report that has got your goose, or do you really think that everything output from the U.N. is like you say?

This isn’t aimed at you GrahamO, but generally there seems to be two types of people in our world (and people can move between them as their life changes) those who basically say “we are all humans sharing this planet” and those who say “sod you i’m OK Jack.”

With 200 nations and how ever many corporations, that’s a lot of “Sod you I’m ok Jack.” The U.N. seems to be one of the few places in our world that at least tries to say “look we are one people sharing one planet let’s try to get along and make the best of it.”

Perhaps it really is time for the Homo branch of life to take another evolutionary leap. Erectus, Sapien, Sens8 Twisted Evil (it’s a fun Netflix series, but you can also see the evolution of Homo (ie us) from Palentology, though that stops here and now only looking at the past).
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
GrahamO wrote:

Wow! Tell us what you really think. Can you substantiate these three accusations GrahamO?

Quote:
If you want to be treated seriously then use authors with credibility because the UN hasnt got much. It really hasn't.
the U.N. does have its issues that is for sure (some appalling), but it is one organisation that works hard to recognise that we are all people sharing our planet. Who better to lead on such global issues?

Quote:
but when anything comes out of the UN, its not realy credible when you have such politically motivated 'authors'.
GrahamO is there one report that has got your goose, or do you really think that everything output from the U.N. is like you say?

This isn’t aimed at you GrahamO, but generally there seems to be two types of people in our world (and people can move between them as their life changes) those who basically say “we are all humans sharing this planet” and those who say “sod you i’m OK Jack.”

With 200 nations and how ever many corporations, that’s a lot of “Sod you I’m ok Jack.” The U.N. seems to be one of the few places in our world that at least tries to say “look we are one people sharing one planet let’s try to get along and make the best of it.”

Perhaps it really is time for the Homo branch of life to take another evolutionary leap. Erectus, Sapien, Sens8 Twisted Evil (it’s a fun Netflix series, but you can also see the evolution of Homo (ie us) from Palentology, though that stops here and now only looking at the past).

They are an organisation that points out fault with others and then goes to lunch. They have failed spectacularly with their original remit and have successfully expanded to create a whole host of other self appointed remits...a great example of mission creep if ever there was one that gets great support from the other international elites, pseudo elites and wannabe elites.

I would add to your category of people...there are those who know that we are sharing a planet and do something; there are those who know that we are sharing a planet and want you to do something, and there are those who would like and need a share of the spoils...

SloggingScotsman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who do something.

Which for people like me is pretty much limited to generating thought. Which I have been doing for decades now.

Those who want others to do something

Possibly because they don’t know what to do. Effectively.

Those who want to share the spoils

That is normal human nature.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:

Those who want others to do something

Possibly because they don’t know what to do. Effectively.

The UN has just released a report on the subject....

Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the UN says or does on this is almost irrelevant; it's what World leaders do that counts. Legislation to mitigate for climate change is what matters.

Even compared to 20 years ago, we do recycle a lot more waste, and electric/hybrid cars are becoming more commonplace. But it takes time. But Govts need to incentivise greener behaviours from business; supermarket packaging still seems like low-hanging fruit as a starter for 10.
jayski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed by the sheer cluelessness around this whole topic.

Recycling in itself is not a solution - glass for example, takes more energy and co2 to recycle than to produce new.

Electric cars are an abysmal idea. At the end of their useful life we will be left with a massive problem and nobody seems to discuss the energy used in production of these vehicles (far higher than conventional cars)

We just need to consume differently. That will have an incredible effect.

People need to stop buying lots of the cheapest crap possible and start buying a few things that they can love, cherish and keep.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayski wrote:
I am amazed by the sheer cluelessness around this whole topic.

Its Tritalk - not MENSA Very Happy

Anyway, one has to live in the real world so your suggestion will never work.

And until you can figure out how to make 6 billion people change their entire lives, then wringing your hands won't do anything.

The enemy of Good, is The Best, so demanding the best from everyone will get you absolutely nowhere.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: