Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 156, 157, 158  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markie r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten about the enforced groups at fellsman (imagine being forced to run anywhere near TC!) Didnt the group size used to be ten or twelve or something daft?
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
imagine being forced to run anywhere near TC!
as if you could keep up and be anywhere near me at a grouping point FFS, get a grip, your a troll not a deluded dreamer! Razz

seriously, this isnt a big guys course. so much yomping up hills, defo a light guys event
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
markie r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I can climb ffs. The bits of the Lakeland I did do weren't flat ffs. There's nearly a 2000 ft climb in the first 7 miles.
markie r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly 'the wall' which I also did last year, and finished, was pretty flat though, as was ennerdale.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
Erm, I can climb ffs. The bits of the Lakeland I did do weren't flat ffs.
Remind me why you DNFd? Sick?
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
markie r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
markie r wrote:

2011 I stopped too long at 60 miles as I was slightly a head of my schedule (20 minutes) when I got going again my left calf had ballooned and was pulling the tendons in my knee all over the place. Stopped 7 miles later. Lesson; don't stop for too long at comfy friendly checkpoints

2012 couldn't eat/ drink anything after about 2 pm- thought it might just a bit of pre race nerves- started the race and went well but couldn't eat or drink anything and after 40 miles and 20 hours through a cold wet lonely night could feel the wheels coming off. I had literally had less than a small cup of water to drink and nowt to eat, and is been sick a few times. Dropped out at 44 miles after a couple of hours sleep to try and kick start my metabolism.

Back this year to race the 50.
Toyota_Crown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markie r wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
markie r wrote:

2011 I stopped too long at 60 miles as I was slightly a head of my schedule (20 minutes) when I got going again my left calf had ballooned and was pulling the tendons in my knee all over the place. Stopped 7 miles later. Lesson; don't stop for too long at comfy friendly checkpoints

2012 couldn't eat/ drink anything after about 2 pm- thought it might just a bit of pre race nerves- started the race and went well but couldn't eat or drink anything and after 40 miles and 20 hours through a cold wet lonely night could feel the wheels coming off. I had literally had less than a small cup of water to drink and nowt to eat, and is been sick a few times. Dropped out at 44 miles after a couple of hours sleep to try and kick start my metabolism.

aww you've had sh1t luck there!!!
tho some would call it justifiable retribution from g0d Razz
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
markie r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
markie r wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
markie r wrote:

aww you've had sh1t luck there!!!
tho some would call it justifiable retribution from g0d Razz

yeah better to try and fail than never to try. twice.
Maca_Lad

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyff102 wrote:
We have a new event called the Equinox24 on 21st/22nd September based at Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire.

12hrs day and 12hrs night, well worth a look.

Free camping, music, trade stalls etc.

You forgot the web linkie.....

http://www.equinox24.co.uk/

and you didn't mention......

20% DISCOUNT OFF PRICES BELOW FOR FIRST 50 ENTRIES

I am doing the Thunder Run this year with my mates (whom I suspect haven't ran a jot) so I'll have a think about the equinox24 for 2014.

Right, well I did the Crawley 12hr track race. It was a little bit surreal, but also competitive which was the only thing that kept me going. Once I realised that runners were blowing up and dropping out and I began moving up the leaderboard it became very interesting. As soon as I got a sniff of a podium finish I just had to keep going.

There was blow up after blow up. Fast starters, uber competitive, sudden demise.

I ran for 100k and after that couldn't motivate myself to run any more so I then just walked. Nearly everyone else was walking at this point anyway. 1st place guy was too far ahead and 3rd place was miles behind.

To be honest, I think 100k is about my limit on running. My pace fades to about 10 to 10.5 mins per mile and it really doesn't feel comfortable. I begin to walk, around 14min mile pace and it feels really nice. It's a no brainer at this stage in the day.

I hit the 100k point in 9h45, after that I manage to walk another 9 miles to clock up 71miles in 12hrs. I got 2nd place and 1st vet and a nice trophy!

Nutrition/Hydration: Mini cheddars, coke (loads of it) and rice pudding.

My legs felt pretty shafted after about 8miles due to London mara the week before. My legs are now well and truly fatigued but recovering, and certain parts have recovered really quickly, but a few areas feel a bit dodgy. So no proper running this week, just a 3 mile jog at run club on thursday and then head down to New Forest for the Pony Express.

There is a slideshow of photos from Crawley 12hr here:

http://markeaston.zenfolio.com/p557614270

A very sociable race. You spend 12 hours with these people doing lap after lap! Track racing ultra distance is a bonkers!

During and straight after the race (as with most endurance races I enter) I said to myself 'never again', but I am sure I'll be back at a track going round and round and round....... Wink

Interestingly, the winning male travelled from Ireland to race and the winning lady from Scotland. Long way to go for a track race?
Maca_Lad

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
I feel like a proper ultra / fell runner after adding a decent FellsMan to my CV. Is that the ultimate hard core event?

How hilly is the Lakeland 100? I gather you can do that in road shoes tho.

The thing with The FellsMan is, altho its 'only' 61 miles, it's not just the 11,000 feet of climbing but the terrain thats the challenge. Lots of open tussocky moorland, navigation out in the complete wilds (Fleet Moss!), and with it being earlier in the year than the tothers, it can still be very boggy in places. Complete minefield basically. I've never suffered with frozen wet feet before until this race.

Good work TC! A very nice addition to your CV indeed!

Visible, well trodden paths n trails do make off roaders so much easier.

A saw a profile of the hills, they are biguns!

I hope the frozen feet have thawed! Wink
Internal Cake Engine

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maca_Lad wrote:
I hit the 100k point in 9h45, after that I manage to walk another 9 miles to clock up 71miles in 12hrs. I got 2nd place and 1st vet and a nice trophy!

Good effort, and well done. Silverware too!
Maca_Lad

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padding wrote:
Maca_Lad wrote:

Good effort, and well done. Silverware too!

Trophies are great. Such a glory hunter! Wink

It was good training for RoF. Legs tired from London Mara forced me to run slower, which is something I need to do from the start for the RoF. One of the reasons I failed last year was poor pacing early on.
nookie180

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like i will be at endure 24 not sure in what capacity but will have the camper van and awning barbeque and beer wine whiskey ? whatever the team needs,

http://www.endure24.co.uk/

as many 5 mile laps as you can in 24 hours they bill it as an introduction to ultra running as you can leave the course at the cross over point and rest,
putt putt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work maca lad. I made tenative last min enquiries about the 6hr race but tbh my itbs would have hated it so prob for the best it didnt happen. One day though......
Triple IM 09, DecaIron (137h- 4th) 09, GUCR 10, 2.46 Mara Apr 11, 9.38 Roth 11, 9.57 IMUK 11 (Q Kona). 2012 - 5th AG nat dua, 9.27 TBW (1st). 2013 Tampa Dble (24.13 - 3rd), Oct Mara 2.49 (1st) 2014 Gin Pit 2.58 (CR)/3.15, AG Gold GB Duo March15 (50-54)
putt putt

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just looked at the results. surprised Adam H who is a class act didnt do more than 46miles in 6hrs. maybe he was well clear and just did what was necessary to win. ?

even 47 yr old triathletes can do a hilly 40miler in 5.20.......lol.....

it definitely appeals. why I am not sure...............the 12hr is a different kettle of fish though.....not runnable imo.
Triple IM 09, DecaIron (137h- 4th) 09, GUCR 10, 2.46 Mara Apr 11, 9.38 Roth 11, 9.57 IMUK 11 (Q Kona). 2012 - 5th AG nat dua, 9.27 TBW (1st). 2013 Tampa Dble (24.13 - 3rd), Oct Mara 2.49 (1st) 2014 Gin Pit 2.58 (CR)/3.15, AG Gold GB Duo March15 (50-54)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 3 of 158

Jump to: