Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tenby Long Course Weekend
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSH wrote:
kevb wrote:
TSH wrote:
New bike course and new drafting rules for next year to resolve this perhaps?

Christ, I hope not! Did Ironman Wales there last year and loved it. Managed to get the wife on board for 2019, and we're just going to bimble round LCW together and enjoy the weekend.

The bike course is a 'sportive', so normal tri rules don't apply. Expect lots of sizeable groups riding around like complete nutters; one of the reasons I like non-drafting, I don't trust riding in a large group with people I don't know.

Expect changes ..............

Although they did allow Tri bikes, unlike RideLondon at the weekend.
tbh even though I was in a large, fast group at Ride London, I felt safer there than at LCW...the mix of cars, large groups and testosterone at LCW just didn't feel quite right.
Closed roads in both directions at RideLondon certainly helped, but not sure they could do that at LCW
IronVampiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
IronVampiro wrote:
Lots of cheating going on......lots of penalties. Frustrated

How so?

People heading out early (wrong waves) to avoid the traffic and heat.
Swansea Red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these comments are really reassuring to read having just entered for the first time!

Would it make sense to have different waves for people with different aims? i.e. those who want to TT it and those who want to have a social ride round with friends etc. Have they always asked your estimated bike imes in previous years? Was wondering if that was a sign of some sort of seeding system.

I can't see that there's a way they'll get closed roads for a Saturday in holiday season, would be nice though!
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swansea Red wrote:
All these comments are really reassuring to read having just entered for the first time!

Would it make sense to have different waves for people with different aims? i.e. those who want to TT it and those who want to have a social ride round with friends etc. Have they always asked your estimated bike imes in previous years? Was wondering if that was a sign of some sort of seeding system.

I can't see that there's a way they'll get closed roads for a Saturday in holiday season, would be nice though!

Yeah based on est or previous times. I can't see any way they can avoid the big bunches forming without sending different distances on different routes.
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swansea Red wrote:

Don't worry, it's still one of the best triathlon type events out there.
Swansea Red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
Swansea Red wrote:

Thanks, now I just need to convince the wife that Tenby is the perfect place to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary...
lutterworth1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my first LCW and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was there with a bit contingent from my Tri club, the only issue we had was either people riding solo in full TT kit, weaving in and out of people and screaming stay left stay left, then promptly coming to a grinding halt as soon as the road went up hill and weaving all over th hill or full blown lines of riders all in TT gear doing exactly the same not caring who’s ride they are ruining, one particular team having all been told not to cross the white line, were lined on the wrong side of the road overtaking groups of cyclists and traffic up a hill over a blind brow, then promptly turned left in front of everybody because they didn’t know there was a left turn, causing cars to break and cyclists to scatter, can’t remember the name or I would name and shame but it was something like team fastnobs or something.

I found the ride perfectly safe, it’s a sportive and like most sportives ive done I’d ban TT bikes etc.

I had not one issue with the traffic and in fact found the local drivers courteous and very patient considering some of the riding.

Will def do it again next year.
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swansea Red wrote:
Doca wrote:
Swansea Red wrote:

Thanks, now I just need to convince the wife that Tenby is the perfect place to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary...

Well Tenby is beautiful, no better place.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutterworth1 wrote:
It was my first LCW and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was there with a bit contingent from my Tri club, the only issue we had was either people riding solo in full TT kit, weaving in and out of people and screaming stay left stay left, then promptly coming to a grinding halt as soon as the road went up hill and weaving all over th hill or full blown lines of riders all in TT gear doing exactly the same not caring who’s ride they are ruining, one particular team having all been told not to cross the white line, were lined on the wrong side of the road overtaking groups of cyclists and traffic up a hill over a blind brow, then promptly turned left in front of everybody because they didn’t know there was a left turn, causing cars to break and cyclists to scatter, can’t remember the name or I would name and shame but it was something like team fastnobs or something.

I found the ride perfectly safe, it’s a sportive and like most sportives ive done I’d ban TT bikes etc.

I had not one issue with the traffic and in fact found the local drivers courteous and very patient considering some of the riding.

Will def do it again next year.

Must be a timing issue as I found the exact opposite. Most of the TT guys were pretty well disciplined, I had much more trouble with the weekend warrior wobblers who were more interested in riding along taking selfies than actually concentrating on what they were doing. Most of that was on the 2nd loop though, so riders doing the shorter distances I guess.

Like I said, that was my third and I won't be back. Too many dodgy riders and drivers don't really make for a safe day out.
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Too many dodgy riders and drivers don't really make for a safe day out.

There is some local chatter that it might be closed roads next year.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
FatPom wrote:

That'll be an improvement. Too many bikes and cars in the mix this year
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
FatPom wrote:

That would be the only thing that gets me back on that course. I'd go for the swim and marathon alone though because the weekend is just 'that good'

Smile
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
FatPom wrote:

That would be the only thing that gets me back on that course. I'd go for the swim and marathon alone though because the weekend is just 'that good'

Smile

Of course it would cost Activity Wales a lot of money to close the roads, hopefully this expense won't be passed onto the athlete.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already entered so they can't change the price for later entrants?
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
FatPom wrote:
WhittleFit wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Smile

Of course it would cost Activity Wales a lot of money to close the roads, hopefully this expense won't be passed onto the athlete.

I'd pay that pretty happily TBH.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: