Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ride London 100
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now 7 for 7 on rejections. I even tried my mums address this time, to see if that would make any difference.

Doing the Etape this year anyway.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
I got my 4th rejection magazine from 5 attempts.

It's a great event to ride, but the ballot seems to be massively skewed against MAMILs from London and Surrey. None of my male cycling buddies have got in this year, but the women get in every time.

or its just the 10:1 chances of getting in, that apply to everyone ?

Its interesting though that you got a rejection and I got an email last night at 17:56 UK time just saying the ballot results would be out on Saturday.

Maybe it makes a difference being overseas but otherwise I cannot see how you know a result when I'm apparently still in the ballot unless you applied via a different route, or there are different ballots for different groups maybe ?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today I got an email saying;

Spoke with a chap on our morning ride, and he said he got the first email but was rejected by the second so it looks like hey have multiple ballots ?

August 4th here we come !
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the athletes I coach decided not to do it....and got in for the second time...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague at work had both her daughters get an entry in the ballot, while her husband didn’t get a place. I think he’s now got a charity slot.
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you just do it on Zwift?
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the organisers are trying to increase the proportion of women participating in the event, hence the many examples where women appear to have a higher hit rate in the ballot than men.

My club always puts in for teams in the BC team ballot. The last few years, we've only been allocated mixed teams. There's always lots of interest in the two men's slots in the team, but we struggle to fill the women's places because all the women who want to ride the event have usually already got a place through the ballot Rolling Eyes
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in this year. I got in a few years back as well but didn't take it up. This year i thought id just do it for the crack. hopefully my time means i'll get out early but i imagine there are 20000 people who think they can average 20mph + over a hilly ride.
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
I got in this year. I got in a few years back as well but didn't take it up. This year i thought id just do it for the crack. hopefully my time means i'll get out early but i imagine there are 20000 people who think they can average 20mph + over a hilly ride.

TBH 5 hours isn't a particularly fast time on that course. If there are people around you who are prepared to work, it's relatively easy to average 25mph for the first and last hours of the ride. The bit in the middle is a bit lumpy, but Leith Hill is the only really steep climb on the route and you have some nice fast descents to help with the average.

You probably need an estimated time of less than 4:30 to get a start time at the pointy end of the field.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
hammerer wrote:

TBH 5 hours isn't a particularly fast time on that course. If there are people around you who are prepared to work, it's relatively easy to average 25mph for the first and last hours of the ride. The bit in the middle is a bit lumpy, but Leith Hill is the only really steep climb on the route and you have some nice fast descents to help with the average.

You probably need an estimated time of less than 4:30 to get a start time at the pointy end of the field.

I entered with an estimated time of 5 hours last year and ended up going in the second wave..and finished in 4:19.
As above the first hours was quick...went through the first 20miles in 48 minutes. Brilliant fun tanking through London in a big fast moving peleton
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2016 Results - 3886 people did 5 hours or less out of 22,338 finishers so I'd suggest its actually not that easy given the demographic of the riders.
abadtriathlete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
2016 Results - 3886 people did 5 hours or less out of 22,338 finishers so I'd suggest its actually not that easy given the demographic of the riders.

I did it in 2016. I started just after 7am and finished at about 5:10pm. So many crashes. Both major and minor. I enjoyed it but I'd never do it again.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abadtriathlete wrote:
So many crashes. Both major and minor. I enjoyed it but I'd never do it again.

Maybe it would help learning to ride a bike next time if you're going to crash that much ? Razz Wink
abadtriathlete

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
abadtriathlete wrote:
So many crashes. Both major and minor. I enjoyed it but I'd never do it again.

Maybe it would help learning to ride a bike next time if you're going to crash that much ? Razz Wink

Good one!

However your behind your intended jibe at my bike handling skills there is an important point.

So many riders with no experience of being in a group. I saw so many riders with so little sense on the road. No shouts when passing. Riding slowly on the right or centre of the road.

I saw couple on TT bikes and few 4up TT teams testing themselves. If they want to ride like a TT rider enter a TT.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: