Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman - Market saturation or decline?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Regarding Tenby. A few points:

- Iconic event with great support.
- Domestic entries up due to travel costs and Brexit uncertainty.
- It's one event, not a trend.

To counter:
- Barcelona is also sold-out and traditionally has a very large UK entry
- Very different event profile to Tenby
- While September races may be attractive to early Kona hunters, that is not going to sell-out a race. Maybe summer training is the bigger attraction.

TBH, Tenby is the only IM race that appeals to me, based mostly on the reports on this forum.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you're cherry-picking. If you look globally, there are a lot of events that are struggling for entries; look at Australia and north America.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I still think you're cherry-picking. If you look globally, there are a lot of events that are struggling for entries; look at Australia and north America.

I think they have diluted the quality of events.

The new 70.3 at Vendee is chock a block sold out, can't get an entry for love or money.

Why? I counter you a 'fast course' with a beautiful easily accessible location, smooth roads and a palatable swim and run. Also see 70.3 Rapperswil (not a fast course).
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

The new 70.3 at Vendee is chock a block sold out, can't get an entry for love or money.

Why? I counter you a 'fast course' with a beautiful easily accessible location, smooth roads and a palatable swim and run. Also see 70.3 Rapperswil (not a fast course).

I was surprised Rapperswil sold out, last year it didn't sell out until May - with the strength of the Swiss Franc on top of usual Swiss prices, this is not a cheap event. However, the swim and the bike are stunning, much of the run is non-descript.
TSH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Regarding Tenby. A few points:

- Iconic event with great support.
- Domestic entries up due to travel costs and Brexit uncertainty.
- It's one event, not a trend.

To counter:
- Barcelona is also sold-out and traditionally has a very large UK entry
- Very different event profile to Tenby
- While September races may be attractive to early Kona hunters, that is not going to sell-out a race. Maybe summer training is the bigger attraction.

TBH, Tenby is the only IM race that appeals to me, based mostly on the reports on this forum.

IMWales - I've seen a trend over recent years that I think a to of others have too! It's the first race in the season to qualify for Kona - the top 10 places in my age group were stacked with Europeans. Conversely, a lot of spots get rolled down at Bolton because it's too close to Kona!

Qualifying at IMWales enables people to plan training, travel etc a year in advance removing quite a lot of uncertainty - it's also quite a cost saving against Bolton, where my friend qualified and subsequently cost her nearly £10k, supply and demand dictates that you can only buy what's available! The Europeans have cottoned on to this and it is a massive advantage in terms of planning, and if they don't Q, race again etc instead of putting all their eggs in to one basket, and having to peak twice in one year (or even 3 months!)

So, I think IMWales has sold out because of it's location and reputation, but mostly because it's in Sept with so many slots. Just IMO....
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I was surprised Rapperswil sold out, last year it didn't sell out until May - with the strength of the Swiss Franc on top of usual Swiss prices, this is not a cheap event. However, the swim and the bike are stunning, much of the run is non-descript.

Almost all of the IM runs are non-descript IMHO. (unless you like running around a city). Even something like Tenby is mainly up and back on an A road.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSH wrote:
So, I think IMWales has sold out because of it's location and reputation, but mostly because it's in Sept with so many slots. Just IMO....

But how many enter an Ironman genuinely believing they are competitive for a Slot, especially in a race you know will be targeted as an early KQ? I would imagine this would account for maybe 100 extra entries (mainly foreign). I'm going with event reputation and Brexit as drivers for 'staycation' entries.
TSH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
TSH wrote:

But how many enter an Ironman genuinely believing they are competitive for a Slot, especially in a race you know will be targeted as an early KQ? I would imagine this would account for maybe 100 extra entries (mainly foreign). I'm going with event reputation and Brexit as drivers for 'staycation' entries.

Good point, well made! The last ones I've done, the front end was stacked with racey europeans - down to top 25 in the main age groups. Maybe you're right, stay at homers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: