Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Disc brake rotors

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Disc brake rotors Reply with quote

Just got some new wheels and putting rotors on them.

My stock wheels came with RT81 rotors and brake incredibly well. I bought some SRAM Centerline rotors for the new wheels and they brake like crap.

Any recommendations on 6-bolt 160/140 rotors?

All Shimano seems to be centerlock stuff. Do I really have to splash out on some Hope kit?
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake rotors Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:

My stock wheels came with RT81 rotors and brake incredibly well. I bought some SRAM Centerline rotors for the new wheels and they brake like crap.

All Shimano seems to be centerlock stuff. Do I really have to splash out on some Hope kit?

I thought all disc brakes were amazing?
(if I was on ST, I'd put "/pink" Cool )
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure there wasn't any kind of protective coating on the new discs that may have contaminated the pads?

I don't see the discs making as much difference to the braking performance as you seem to indicate.
I'd try giving everything a good clean with brake cleaner and see if they improve.

Apologies if you've done all that but worth stating just in case.
Chrace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake rotors Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Chrace wrote:

I thought all disc brakes were amazing?
(if I was on ST, I'd put "/pink" Cool )

Most, but not all. Smile You should try the ones on my commuter - they're downright dangerous. But I've also had both good and crap rim brakes.

I'll try clean them a bit JaRok, haven't done it yet. Thought manufacturers would have wanted to show their products as awesome out of the box, but perhaps not...
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about the pads - Shimano usually supplies resin pads as standard. Sintered are much better in most conditions, but they can eat some discs quite quickly.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
It's all about the pads - Shimano usually supplies resin pads as standard. Sintered are much better in most conditions, but they can eat some discs quite quickly.

I had top class braking on the old rotors with same pads though?
r0bh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some Aztec 140mm 6 bolt rotors to put on a second set of wheels, the other set have shimano centrelock 140mm rotors.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Aztec-Stainless-Steel-Fixed-Disc-Rotor-With-Circular-Cut-Outs_93469.htm

I swap them in and out keeping the same pads with no problems, maybe just a quick realign of the calipers.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question about squealing brakes. So I cleaned the pads & rotor thoroughly with brake cleaner, removed and sanded the pads to take off the glaze and they still squeal (albeit less). WTF is happening? Never used to happen, and the pads are not worn down; can't work it out.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Question about squealing brakes. So I cleaned the pads & rotor thoroughly with brake cleaner, removed and sanded the pads to take off the glaze and they still squeal (albeit less). WTF is happening? Never used to happen, and the pads are not worn down; can't work it out.

My son swears by taking a blow torch to his brake pads to stop squealing.

He does remove them from the calipers first.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: