Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Tenby Long Course Weekend
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Tenby Long Course Weekend Reply with quote

Looking forward to it, although not sure the long term fine weather forecast will make it proper prep for September.

Anyone else?
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tenby Long Course Weekend Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Looking forward to it, although not sure the long term fine weather forecast will make it proper prep for September.

Anyone else?

Yep, I'm in. First time as a family holiday, so we are Kiln Park. Mrs FP just txt me to say the Taff Kids kit has turned up for Little One Smile

If we are going by last year's weather for IM prep, a week in the Hebrides in Winter might be more apt Very Happy
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in also. There is about 25 of us coming on mass.
Looking forward to another good weekend.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in too. Camping at Kiln Park. Really looking forward to it, only heard good things.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a mini TT get together could be in order? Cool
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my weekend is done.

Swim: 90 mins
Bike: 6.47
Run: 4.26

Didn't tickle!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry missed the get together request...

Had a mighty fine weekend.

Swim 1:08. One of the most enjoyable swims ever. As it was far less bouncy than any of my IM Wales swims I could really appreciate the setting etc.

Bike 6:06. Reminder of what brutality exists on this course, and also what a great job the much maligned WTC do in getting us mainly closed roads to race on for IM compared to the numerous hold ups and delays you always get with a big sportive and traffic on the roads.

I also got an hour added to my time for not setting off within my wave slot for the start, so officially got 7:06. Never known that at a sportive!

Run 3:33. Surprised myself here with a really decent run. Held back early and as a result had a really strong second half of the run while many others were fading.

Overall some good form indicators and a really enjoyable weekend. Loved it.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Sorry missed the get together request...

Had a mighty fine weekend.

Swim 1:08. One of the most enjoyable swims ever. As it was far less bouncy than any of my IM Wales swims I could really appreciate the setting etc.

Bike 6:06. Reminder of what brutality exists on this course, and also what a great job the much maligned WTC do in getting us mainly closed roads to race on for IM compared to the numerous hold ups and delays you always get with a big sportive and traffic on the roads.

I also got an hour added to my time for not setting off within my wave slot for the start, so officially got 7:06. Never known that at a sportive!

Run 3:33. Surprised myself here with a really decent run. Held back early and as a result had a really strong second half of the run while many others were fading.

Overall some good form indicators and a really enjoyable weekend. Loved it.

I heard a lot of people got slapped with that extra hour. Though i doubt it makes much difference for most who are using it as a big training weekend. Out of interest, what was your reason for not hitting your slot? A friend of mine had said that they wanted to get out earlier where it would be cooler and less traffic ... which seems sensible, but i get why the organisers tried to discourage it.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was allocated Wave 3, the final wave of the 112 mile sportive. I think the long course athletes were spread across the 3 waves, along with the 'sportive only' riders.

I wanted to 'race' it solo, on a TT bike - as a fair few long course athletes did. The thought of setting off behind most of a 4,000 strong field, many of them looking for a pleasant noodle around Pembrokeshire in Groups made this much harder - and more dangerous - I knew there would be traffic, held up by peletons going at 15mph, and I'd be stuck behind those. So I wasn;t especially happy being wave 3.

As it was I wasn't that much early - I rolled up around midway through the wave 2 slot - there was a queue - I joined it and started probably about 10-15 mins before wave 3 was due to begin. And I had issues with traffic and slower riders throughout the 112 miles working through the field.

Had I known this would cost me an hour then I would have gone off with wave 1, had a much cleaner, safer and faster ride and happily copped the hour as a fair price to pay.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I was allocated Wave 3, the final wave of the 112 mile sportive. I think the long course athletes were spread across the 3 waves, along with the 'sportive only' riders.

I wanted to 'race' it solo, on a TT bike - as a fair few long course athletes did. The thought of setting off behind most of a 4,000 strong field, many of them looking for a pleasant noodle around Pembrokeshire in Groups made this much harder - and more dangerous - I knew there would be traffic, held up by peletons going at 15mph, and I'd be stuck behind those. So I wasn;t especially happy being wave 3.

As it was I wasn't that much early - I rolled up around midway through the wave 2 slot - there was a queue - I joined it and started probably about 10-15 mins before wave 3 was due to begin. And I had issues with traffic and slower riders throughout the 112 miles working through the field.

Had I known this would cost me an hour then I would have gone off with wave 1, had a much cleaner, safer and faster ride and happily copped the hour as a fair price to pay.

Pretty much echoes what i had heard. Pity you didn't know that from the start as you said. Never mind.

Are you aiming for Tenby again TRO, or just fancied a jaunt in the Pembs sunshine?
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my 4th IM Wales in September. 2012, 2014 and 2015 the others. Love/hate the race!
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More later as I'm at Services having lunch but looks like I came 176/606 and last year was 385/550 so a massive 200 odd place improvement for me.

Pretty happy with bike leg, 91st overall.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the results are a real reflection on performance (sorry!) as there may be a fair few who copped the penalty hour on the bike.

Haven't even checked my result, but with that hour I'd be well down...
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Not sure the results are a real reflection on performance (sorry!) as there may be a fair few who copped the penalty hour on the bike.

Haven't even checked my result, but with that hour I'd be well down...

That's on them. I wasn't happy with my wave time start either but I took the time to check with Matthew who assured me my time wouldn't actually start until 8.45, no matter what time I went off. His rationale was to avoid pinch points, plus his Tenby permit allowed the course to be open for 1hr longer.

I was pretty annoyed at having to slice through the slower riders but at the same time, assumed that what he said was legit and lined up when I was meant to.

Other observations:

Taff Kids - great fun for the kids but having Reception go off last made zero sense to me. Some of the little ones were bored and a few were crying.

Bike: This event is far too big now for it not to be on closed roads and trying to climb Wisemans and Narbeth on the 2nd lap with much slower riders on the short distance (and quit a few LCW riders that don't know how to pace) is an accident waiting to happen.

Fourth Medal: Not sure how that went this year? I didn't hang around after my marathon. I have a 4th medal from last year and we were hanging around so long that I wasn't willing to repeat it this. Hopefully it went off a bit quicker?

Great event but that was my third and last, at least until they close the roads.
SidSnot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great weekend. Well done Activity Wales Events
Swim 54:56
Bike 5:42
Run 4:08....ouch
Happy with swim and bike. Run - underestimated the hills and heat and overestimated my ability so suffered the last 6 miles
Lesson learned, back again in September for 3rd IM Wales
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: