Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Commute training
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commute 10km each way every day. Mostly cycle then often on a Friday will run and get a lift home.

I leave trousers, shoes, wash bag, towel at work. New ones Monday, take them home Friday.

Other than the run which I normally incorporate my long run into I dont consider the cycling training. In fact I make an effort to ensure my cycle commutes are as easy as possible so they dont impact my other training.
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My commute is a large part of my training, but it's not remotely comparable to being in a city. 8-mins through town is my easy warmup, then 30-120min quiet lanes to work, Camb/Herts/Essex/Suffolk border. This morning was 75mins steady with hill efforts on tt-bike, this evening will be shorter with a run straight off the bike at home. I had to slow once slightly for an oncoming lorry on a narrow lane, with little other traffic, unclipping only upon arrival. Lockers/showers/gym etc are here, and I have the luxury of a partner working on the same campus who pops my day-bag in my locker. On other days I have the option of a 7+ mile trail run. A fortunate place to work, by UK standards, and in the years here I've selected my home village, and now home town, on the basis of the quality of commute.

Not much help re the Manchester question I'm afraid, but faced with that I'd look for off-road rides/runs and nearby pool/lake/river swims.

As for efficacy, Lucy Gossage used her commute for much training when near here.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to know when to take it easy though. If you're riding in 4-5 days a week, you can't afford to do all that at intensity as you'll end-up in a big hole if you're doing a lot of other sessions. I routinely force myself to pootle along, in order to keep my powder dry for my other sessions; I really see the commute on a very slow heavy bike as good 'conditioning' both physically, and in poor weather, mentally.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
You have to know when to take it easy though. If you're riding in 4-5 days a week, you can't afford to do all that at intensity as you'll end-up in a big hole if you're doing a lot of other sessions. I routinely force myself to pootle along, in order to keep my powder dry for my other sessions; I really see the commute on a very slow heavy bike as good 'conditioning' both physically, and in poor weather, mentally.

Which is why I have basically ditched commuting by bike the past 15 months.

I don't want to compromise my actual main training with unhelpful fatigue. And added to that, I've been pretty tired already that the extra bit of faff associated with cycle commuting has not been a desireable extra mental stress. Also the risk of injury. Almost all of my "offs" on a bike have been commuting - stupid things like not seeing a fat hose pipe in the office building grounds, some oil on the ground turning into the loading bay of the office building etc.

I'll probably get back to it after VLM as I will need to try and ramp the bike miles up fairly quickly, and a lot of my weekends are tied up to get proper rides in.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I will need to try and ramp the bike miles up fairly quickly, and a lot of my weekends are tied up to get proper rides in.

This is why I'm grateful that I can do it! The long weekend rides are harder to fit in when you prioritise family commitments, sports clubs etc.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting is effectively most of my bike training. I'm lucky that I have a quiet country commute of between 15 and 25 miles depending on my choice of routes, it is mostly flat but there are enough rises to put efforts in if I wish. I can basically mimic any standard turbo session on my ride home from short VO2 sprints up hills to long 2x20min TT efforts on fairly straight roads with no traffic lights.

Add to that the fact I can actually take an hour for lunch if I wish, so potential to run in daylight all year round and it is a significant difference over my previous workplace. It makes a huge difference to family life, being able to get in the door with training done for the day, only slightly later than if I take the car.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Add to that the fact I can actually take an hour for lunch if I wish, so potential to run in daylight all year round and it is a significant difference over my previous workplace. It makes a huge difference to family life, being able to get in the door with training done for the day, only slightly later than if I take the car.

Yep, it's good for the work-life-balance Thumbs Up
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that I'm quite fortunate that they provide towels at work, that and lockers and showers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: