Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-17/18 min 5k thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good session Sam.

Any upcoming 5k's or parkruns as a guide?

Jeff
twhat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Time to get this thread back on track Wink Christmas is a time for spare tyres anyway, don't worry about it!

Did a session yesterday of (6 minutes hard, 6 minutes threshold)x3 on the roads, and ended up going through 5km in 16:59! Brutal session, and the legs are beat up today. Hoping for a decent smash out at the Chichester 10km in Feb and then Cambridge Half in March

Kin ell. Happy new year. I'm back on the case with 5km for the next 3 months. NO races planned other than XC and parkrun until early summer i think. I ran a 20.00 on tired legs in early DEC but that was Hadleigh parkrun, very hilly probably costs 90secs, and i actually won it thanks to the leader taking a wrong turn (i was catching him anyway Wink ). I seem to have made progess between nov XC and Dec XC so reckon im in close to 18 minute flat course shape. With no marathon to worry about there are no excuses.
Ive been doing a lot of S&C since August and it really seems to have helped keep my fitness up, hopefuly with some renewed focus i can hit some new pbs in spring...
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Time to get this thread back on track Wink Christmas is a time for spare tyres anyway, don't worry about it!

Did a session yesterday of (6 minutes hard, 6 minutes threshold)x3 on the roads, and ended up going through 5km in 16:59! Brutal session, and the legs are beat up today. Hoping for a decent smash out at the Chichester 10km in Feb and then Cambridge Half in March

amazing effort, you've finished before I've started! Very Happy
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twhat wrote:
TriSam wrote:

Kin ell. Happy new year. I'm back on the case with 5km for the next 3 months. NO races planned other than XC and parkrun until early summer i think. I ran a 20.00 on tired legs in early DEC but that was Hadleigh parkrun, very hilly probably costs 90secs, and i actually won it thanks to the leader taking a wrong turn (i was catching him anyway Wink ). I seem to have made progess between nov XC and Dec XC so reckon im in close to 18 minute flat course shape. With no marathon to worry about there are no excuses.
Ive been doing a lot of S&C since August and it really seems to have helped keep my fitness up, hopefuly with some renewed focus i can hit some new pbs in spring...

Good stuff, what kind of S&C are you doing?
twhat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was related to my lower back issues from early summer.. a mixture of PT / physio prescribed stuff. Lots of lunge variations with stretches/twists/ onto a BOSU. Plank, side plank,more core work Adductor and glute stuff with a swiss ball. Some upper body with dumbells and machines.. chest press, shoulder press, seated row, lat pull down. I actually started squatting with 40kg recently too, that was a bit scary but I can see how it is so highly recommended by the gym goers. I’ll try deadlifts once my back feels 100% but I’ll get guidance at first! Also doing one legged stability stuff with the bosu. Cobra/Cat/Superman stretch for the lower back. Step ups, pelvic thrusts. Obviously not all in one session !!
To be honest i've quite enjoyed it all.. 40 mins is plenty of time in the gym so 2/3 times a week is easy, generally on the days after I’ve run as I am only now going past 3 runs per week again. It gives me variation and tends to make me feel better in terms of recovery especially in my lumbar area. I’m 44 now and its something ive always neglected so I aim to maintain it....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52
Page 52 of 52

Jump to: