Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wattbike atom or pro

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Wattbike atom or pro Reply with quote

Thinking of getting one of the above. I have used the pro & trainer but not the atom. Has anyone used both?
Looking for pro’s and con’s of both!
Whisk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not tried the Atom, but I believe it's a better option for Zwift because it works more like a smart trainer. The old-style Wattbike is a standalone machine which can be used with Zwift, but the resistance obviously doesn't react to what is happening on the screen.
snowie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pro but looking to get an atom (or similar) as smart trainers seem the way forward.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious - why get a trainer like that instead of e.g. a Tacx Flux and a cheapo road bike to put on it permanently?

I considered a full rig but only because it could then be used by my wife (easy to change setup). Since she decided that she had no idea how I could sit and do biking indoors I dropped that idea and saved the money.
dairic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo is a no go really.
Wife and kids will be using it, so a bike they can just get on is the answer.
Can't work out whether the atom with the smart facility is the way forward to to stick with a pro which is bomb proof?
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Wattbikes are designed for gym use and are pretty bombproof, but they take up a lot of space and they are very heavy to move around. That's obviously not an issue if you've got the space to set it up in a home gym and leave it there. The fan resistance can also be pretty noisy if you're doing higher power efforts.

The Atom is designed for a home environment, so it's much smaller and I think the magnetic resistance is probably a lot quieter.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: