Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Blaenafon number 36 CANCELLED
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Blaenafon number 36 CANCELLED Reply with quote

Back for its 34th year, the oldest continually held triathlon in the UK.

Promising a new run course, with the summit of the Sugarloaf above Abeargavenny being the half way point on the run, 1800 feet of climbing, at least its downhill most of the way back. Its still got the Tumble mountain as the big climb on the bike.

Entries opened this morning and still only £35 for Welsh/English Tri members.

https://www.entrycentral.com/yfenni-blaenafon-triathlon

Y Fenni Tri Club Abergavenny.

Last edited by NoTriBri on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my enter and not do race. Maybe next year! Smile
TSH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaenafon number 34 Reply with quote

NoTriBri wrote:
Back for its 34th year, the oldest continually held triathlon in the UK.

Promising a new run course, with the summit of the Sugarloaf above Abeargavenny being the half way point on the run, 1800 feet of climbing, at least its downhill most of the way back. Its still got the Tumble mountain as the big climb on the bike.

Entries opened this morning and still only £35 for Welsh/English Tri members.

https://www.entrycentral.com/yfenni-blaenafon-triathlon

I know Bri - we gotta get behind it and promote it - but it's not BlaenafonTri is it? I miss that old race Sad
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry TSH missed your reply. I miss the 'original' Blaenafon course, raced that 9 times, only 1 DNF (double puncture). This years run course sounds good, but without last years extreme bit.

Now over half full.

'Can you handle it?'

Clashes this year with LLanelli Tri, my favourite place to race, of those I can still get round.

blindcider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just entered. Sounds a beast
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A partly domesticated beast now unfortunately Wink

You'll enjoy it.

NoTriBri

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on Blind Cider? It was a cracking day, yes I caught the sun & now look like a beetroot. I was on the Mount/dismount line shouting at all & sundry.

Had the lot in transition. 1 guy wanted to rack his bike just as he was supposed to be starting the swim. Several people trying to ride their bikes through transition. Had 1 rider return to the mount line, sent back by a marshal a mile up the road, no helmet. I'd missed it & the transition marshals had missed it. Whoops.

Great race, great competitors, great club to work with, Y Fenni Tri (I'm not a member). Number 35 next year.

Great to see our Spike still performing at the sharp end, still in the top 10 & Best real old man in the race.

And of course even better to have a catch up although brief with La Marquise. Wonderful that they make the long trip from home to see us in sunny South Wales. Hope to see you guys in the Autumn if that race works out.

blindcider

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoTriBri wrote:
How did you get on Blind Cider? It was a cracking day, yes I caught the sun & now look like a beetroot. I was on the Mount/dismount line shouting at all & sundry.

Had the lot in transition. 1 guy wanted to rack his bike just as he was supposed to be starting the swim. Several people trying to ride their bikes through transition. Had 1 rider return to the mount line, sent back by a marshal a mile up the road, no helmet. I'd missed it & the transition marshals had missed it. Whoops.

Great race, great competitors, great club to work with, Y Fenni Tri (I'm not a member). Number 35 next year.

Great to see our Spike still performing at the sharp end, still in the top 10 & Best real old man in the race.

And of course even better to have a catch up although brief with La Marquise. Wonderful that they make the long trip from home to see us in sunny South Wales. Hope to see you guys in the Autumn if that race works out.

Sadly I didn't make it. My Achilles tendon has been giving me hell and I couldn't quite shake it in time for me to risk the mountain run with a 24 hr race coming up in July. Will keep an eye out for next time though.
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Blind Cider, good luck with the big event, hope its all sorted by then. 35th anniversary race next year.

Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Brian, are you doing it all again in 2018? I haven't done this event since 2011 and it's the hardest short course event I've done; alhough Perranporth on a wet & windy day with 5ft surf comes very close - and is the only event where I've felt like mother nature was literally trying to kill me!

Obviously the 2011 Blaenavon route had some horrendous climbs on the bike, but did it include the Tumble? I ask becuase I was looking at a list of the UK's best climbs and wonder if I've already done it; although it looks like the route only took-in the upper part, having accessed it via that really narrow mud/gravel & pothole strewn back lane, which was very steep....obviously!
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a back seat these days & just help out. But number 35 is in the planning stage. Are you coming to join us? Entries will open early/mid December I believe, but will update when I know for certain.

Sunday May 13th at Abergavenny. Officially my 20th. 10 I raced 5 I organised 5 helped out plus 1 when I just turned up for the buffet. Very Happy

The old bike route didn't take in the Tumble, same mountain, The Blorenge but the narrow lane we used wasn't The Tumble, Oak lane makes The Tumble look easy. The two roads join at the top of The Tumble climb. The second climb out of Beaufort over Llangynidr moors is a lot easier, this part of the route is shared with the Brecon Titan middle distance.

Unless Mike changes the route, which he has threatened. Exclamation

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in 2011 I did the tougher bike route; figures. That climb up Oak Lane would have been better on a CX bike!

Yeah, I'm considering doing it again. I was thinking that my new Canyon Endurace would be ideal if the course was anything like 2011. I did it on my Giant TCR road bike last time, but some disc brakes and wider tyres would have made it more pleasureable (that's relative). Blaenavon is the only Triathlon I've done on a road bike for over 20 years, it was that rugged. I would have been better off with one at Perranporth this year too, but that was mainly due to the wet/windy weather, which meant 3x sketchy descents would have been way better on disc brakes (and done faster).

If you could just marry-up Perranporth's swim with the Blaenavon 2011 course, then you have something utterly dreadworthy Very Happy
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
So in 2011 I did the tougher bike route; figures. That climb up Oak Lane would have been better on a CX bike!

Yeah, I'm considering doing it again. I was thinking that my new Canyon Endurace would be ideal if the course was anything like 2011. I did it on my Giant TCR road bike last time, but some disc brakes and wider tyres would have made it more pleasureable (that's relative). Blaenavon is the only Triathlon I've done on a road bike for over 20 years, it was that rugged. I would have been better off with one at Perranporth this year too, but that was mainly due to the wet/windy weather, which meant 3x sketchy descents would have been way better on disc brakes (and done faster).

If you could just marry-up Perranporth's swim with the Blaenavon 2011 course, then you have something utterly dreadworthy Very Happy

We tried are hardest, but even Gareth Buffet failed on that one .

The roads used now are almost into 21st Century, proper tarmac & everything, & only 4 cattle grids to cross. There is no warning needed any more about using carbon/light weight wheels!

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoTriBri wrote:
The roads used now are almost into 21st Century, proper tarmac & everything, & only 4 cattle grids to cross. There is no warning needed any more about using carbon/light weight wheels!

Kind of a shame really; the old course was borderline cyclocross in places, and the climb up 'The British' was basically like cycling on a tarmac patchwork quilt Laughing Knarly as fook.

After I did a course recce in 2011 I seem to remember asking if the RAF had dropped an airfield denial weapon on some sections Very Happy

Run looks longer now?
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The run is back to its original 9 miles ish I think. Its varied every year at Abergavenny so far as Mike tries to find the 'best' route. Think most were quite happy with last years run. But that wont stop Mike having a tinker with it again.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: