Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
QUARQ Vs Assioma

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: QUARQ Vs Assioma Reply with quote

My Quarq Elsa was replaced under warranty, Brilliant service from Quarq. I now have a Quarq DFour power meter as replacement. On Sunday I tried it out to see how it compares with Favero Assioma pedals. It was immediately obvious that Assioma and Quarq interfere with each other, so both PMs were dropping out at pretty much the same time, also Favero wouldn't connect to phone app, as soon as they were separated, all was fine.

If this is common, It does beg the question how DCRainmaker manages to ride with multiple PMs at the same time

However, when I did compare the output of the 2 PMs, excluding any dropouts, the plot is amazingly close, with the QUARQ reading 0.52% higher - plots shows a 10 minute segment in middle of ride

JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar test with a Powertap & a P2M a while back and they played together fine.

They were both Ant+ which I think has a range of frequencies, are you on that, Bluetooth or a combination of both?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I did a similar test with a Powertap & a P2M a while back and they played together fine.

They were both Ant+ which I think has a range of frequencies, are you on that, Bluetooth or a combination of both?

I assume Ant+ on both, QUARQ connected to Garmin 935, Assioma Connected to Garmin Edge 130, One HR strap connected to both on Ant+

I will probably give it another go on the Turbo Trainer at some point, however, the results I got were good enough to show consistency
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how the two power meters can "interfere" with one another when connected to separate head units. That would be the same as saying if you're in a group ride, and two different riders have two different power meters, you're going to suffer the same interference. I don't ever recall hearing that kind of issue. It would be widespread in the pro peloton if it were a legitimate issue.

I'm going to guess you were inside doing the testing? If so, the fact they both dropped out at the same time would suggest to me you were encountering household interference. I've had that on the turbo on a few occasions.

Separately, I have just bought a smart turbo (Elite Direto - the newer 2% claimed accuracy version) and it is reporting numbers about 5W higher than my power2max. That would seem to support the view of others on this forum like Jorgan who I believe have always felt the P2M slightly under reported raw power.

I actually have the real graph comparisons, as DCR ran them for me on his analyzer, as I asked him a question he didnt know the answer to (shock horror!) - namely, which power value an Edge defaults to if it's connected to both an ant+ power meter and an ant+ FEC smart trainer. Answer was the power meter
https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/public/506aba29-8a27-49b9-491f-1c115bef5a09
(I connected the P2M only to the 920xt, the trainer only to the trainerroad app, and both to the 520)

Strangely, in other testing, the powertap SL+ rear hub I have under reported slightly versus the same power2max. That made sense at the time given it's further along the drive train. Yet the Direto and the powertap would be in the same place (at the rear hub), and if it were possible to compare both at the same time, would then result in a larger differential at the same place of measurement. So who knows.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I can't see how the two power meters can "interfere" with one another when connected to separate head units. That would be the same as saying if you're in a group ride, and two different riders have two different power meters, you're going to suffer the same interference. I don't ever recall hearing that kind of issue. It would be widespread in the pro peloton if it were a legitimate issue.

I'm going to guess you were inside doing the testing? If so, the fact they both dropped out at the same time would suggest to me you were encountering household interference. I've had that on the turbo on a few occasions.

Separately, I have just bought a smart turbo (Elite Direto - the newer 2% claimed accuracy version) and it is reporting numbers about 5W higher than my power2max. That would seem to support the view of others on this forum like Jorgan who I believe have always felt the P2M slightly under reported raw power.

I actually have the real graph comparisons, as DCR ran them for me on his analyzer, as I asked him a question he didnt know the answer to (shock horror!) - namely, which power value an Edge defaults to if it's connected to both an ant+ power meter and an ant+ FEC smart trainer. Answer was the power meter
https://analyze.dcrainmaker.com/#/public/506aba29-8a27-49b9-491f-1c115bef5a09
(I connected the P2M only to the 920xt, the trainer only to the trainerroad app, and both to the 520)

Strangely, in other testing, the powertap SL+ rear hub I have under reported slightly versus the same power2max. That made sense at the time given it's further along the drive train. Yet the Direto and the powertap would be in the same place (at the rear hub), and if it were possible to compare both at the same time, would then result in a larger differential at the same place of measurement. So who knows.

I was riding outside. It seems unlikely to be chance as both PM's had drop outs, it is the first time I have experienced any drop out on the Assioma, except for one time when the battery in the left pedal was flat.

It does seem strange, and I was not expecting it - will keep an eye on both PMs to see it I have any issues

This morning the Assioma was fine.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: QUARQ Vs Assioma Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
It was immediately obvious that Assioma and Quarq interfere with each other....]

I wonder if that as my issue on the trainer, with my P2Max & pedals. That said, it did drop out a few times on my road bike too, with no other PM fitted. Can't have helped though.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a significant flaw.
If other nearby power meters can cause drop outs, then I can't help but believe the issue would be being widely reported. With the prevalence of power meters nowadays, pretty much everyone who rides in any kind of group would be encountering issues.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen drop-outs with my Assioma pedals when they try to connect to more than 1 head unit. They are stable once connection is established, although I did have a problem early on when I may or may not have had different crank lengths set on different head units (can't be sure).

Now, if I turn on my watch once I already have a connection to something else, it will drop in and out while connection is established, then settles down. So, if your other devices were trying to connect but failing, I can imagine that causing drop-outs.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15h battery life on the Assioma must be very conservative. I checked battery level last night, and it was still well over half and I reckon I've already done over 15h since the last charge (well I've only charged them once so far this year!)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: