Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Horse vs bike at Windsor Triathlon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Also I suspect that the at the race brief, riders were warned that crossing the center line would result in a DQ, you can see a couple of bike pass just to the left of the center line, even though the road ahead is straight an clear.

I've been at many race briefings where it is stated that crossing the centre line is an immediate DQ, and heard stories where the rule has been applied with no consideration of whether it was the safer course of action at the time. Human Race stated all riders were told to obey the highway code, which would allow you to cross the centre line if the oncoming lane was clear.

But none of this excuses drafting so close to the bike in front that you have no where to go where to go except to hit another road user. I may be wrong, but I thought part of the reason for triathlon being non-drafting is the safety aspect, and getting permission for an event that potentially involved packs of cyclists on an open road would be next to impossible. If councils/police etc believe triathlon means packs of cyclists they are not going to give permission for the events.

--
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevb wrote:
Looks like I need to adjust my riding to ensure I move out in very good time to get in the horses field of view and not cross through the blind spot;

I spoke to a few riders in the past and generally they were simply asking that we give a shout out when passing from behind, e.g. "passing on the right", and give plenty of room.

It'll alert both horse and rider and I am always greeted with a "Thank you" when doing this. Simples really.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
kevb wrote:
Looks like I need to adjust my riding to ensure I move out in very good time to get in the horses field of view and not cross through the blind spot;

I spoke to a few riders in the past and generally they were simply asking that we give a shout out when passing from behind, e.g. "passing on the right", and give plenty of room.

It'll alert both horse and rider and I am always greeted with a "Thank you" when doing this. Simples really.

Ah interesting. I have always worried that shouting might startle the horse. I tend to slow right down and coast. My freewheel is pretty noisy so usually announces my arrival fairly well.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

Finally, I am sickened by some of the comments posted on this video, some people have real issues with cyclists, I find it really upsetting that people hate me because by trying to keep myself fit and healthy, I am delaying them on their journey for another Burger/pizza/beer

This is the root of the problem in this country. Infrastructure, cycle lanes etc are all well and good but a large portion of car drives actively dislike cyclists. They don't know, or more worryingly don't care, how to safely pass and some even purposely close pass to make their "point".

I can't understand the mentality. I've held you up for what 30seconds? You must be a really important person if you need those 30 seconds. Its not like where I ride there are loads of cyclists, sure they are a few. I've had tonnes of stupid remarks and aggression from twats in cars and endless people passing too close.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
kevb wrote:

I live in area where I regularly come across horse riders and know a few of them too and do exactly the same. Always get a thank you or a smile as I pass and often exchange the odd friendly comment about getting a lift up the next hill.

I always think we are ambassadors for cycling when we are out and all our actions make the situation either better or worse for everyone. This latest footage has made it worse and it will take a lot of positive interactions to even begin to undo the damage.

I also acknowledge the other points re motorists who just have it in for us and nothing will change their mind, sad state of affairs!
snowie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Finally, I am sickened by some of the comments posted on this video, some people have real issues with cyclists, I find it really upsetting that people hate me because by trying to keep myself fit and healthy, I am delaying them on their journey for another Burger/pizza/beer

This is the root of the problem in this country. Infrastructure, cycle lanes etc are all well and good but a large portion of car drives actively dislike cyclists. They don't know, or more worryingly don't care, how to safely pass and some even purposely close pass to make their "point".

I can't understand the mentality. I've held you up for what 30seconds? You must be a really important person if you need those 30 seconds. Its not like where I ride there are loads of cyclists, sure they are a few. I've had tonnes of stupid remarks and aggression from twats in cars and endless people passing too close.

There are good cyclists / car drivers & bad cyclists/car drivers.
& most cyclists are car drivers.

The bad cyclists make it worse for the good cyclists & the bad car drivers make it worse for the good ones.

Having done Windsor a few times, human race are only interested in the profit, I have never seen a marshal on the bike course & if human race had more marshals watching out for drafting then incidents like this would not have happened.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a video going around FB, where the passenger in a car, passing a bike, pushes a rider off the road as the car passes, the rider and bike then do a cartwheel into the verge as the car speeds off.

It looks like it was in the UK as the vehicles are on the left

Given the number of total idiots, copy cats are are a real fear... looking at some of the 3000+ comments, there are many suggesting that they will do the same thing "for a laugh"

I hope the original posters of the video are found and changed with attempted murder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C12DyoxywAg
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in hunting country, so i see as much poor riding as I do cycling around here...

i agree with the HR sentiment, not too many marshals to be seen...

i raced (ok, I ran) at my local 10k last night...on quiet country lanes....with 60 marshals out on the course...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
There is a video going around FB, where the passenger in a car, passing a bike, pushes a rider off the road as the car passes, the rider and bike then do a cartwheel into the verge as the car speeds off.

It looks like it was in the UK as the vehicles are on the left

Given the number of total idiots, copy cats are are a real fear... looking at some of the 3000+ comments, there are many suggesting that they will do the same thing "for a laugh"

I hope the original posters of the video are found and changed with attempted murder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C12DyoxywAg

Possibly from here: https://twitter.com/DarkestJedi/status/1011620566422441988

Or he has nicked it from somewhere else too...
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never raced Windsor Tri, but I was out that way on my long ride while the race was on and my route took me on part of the course but in the opposite direction (Drift Road towards Henley). I was probably there at about 10:30 and I didn't see that many racers, so I guess either a gap between waves or most people were off the course by then, but the junctions that I passed all looked to be well marshalled and I saw 3 or 4 motorbike marshals in the space of less than 5km.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain Plumb, fined a total of £926.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-47009149?fbclid=IwAR3f4zwiWB7kDbhGlYYt-Otx4C_EtroHcgnKCkwennq3hGmuuH9vJ5crbe0
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doonhamer wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-47009149?fbclid=IwAR3f4zwiWB7kDbhGlYYt-Otx4C_EtroHcgnKCkwennq3hGmuuH9vJ5crbe0

Idiot cyclist who frightened horse and rider, not causing any injury, is given lifetime triathlon ban and fined £926

While driver who pulled out infront of cyclist on roundabout is given 6 points and fined £200, despite rider suffering life altering injuries

https://road.cc/content/news/255259-driver-fined-after-pulling-out-triathlete-roundabout

I am in no way condoning Iain Plumb's behaviou, or questioning his fine, however, motorists do seem to get off very lightly
snowie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Doonhamer wrote:

Idiot cyclist who frightened horse and rider, not causing any injury, is given lifetime triathlon ban and fined £926

While driver who pulled out infront of cyclist on roundabout is given 6 points and fined £200, despite rider suffering life altering injuries

https://road.cc/content/news/255259-driver-fined-after-pulling-out-triathlete-roundabout

I am in no way condoning Iain Plumb's behaviou, or questioning his fine, however, motorists do seem to get off very lightly

frequently the law & sentencing is in conflict with its self.
Symes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His fine was £216 so closer to the driver's fine, the total included £600+ court costs and compensation and victim surcharge.

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "lifetime triathlon ban" was imposed by Human Race on their events too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: