Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bronchiectasis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bronchiectasis Reply with quote

Wr1927 wrote:
Hey guys,
Long shot, but any of you still on here? I am a keen club cyclist who was riding centuries and such like earlier this year, but diagnosed with Bronchiectasis (ct scan) in the summer and have suffered a huge decline in performance / ability since, with recurring chest infections and endless courses of antibiotics. Just wondering how others have coped longer term? Thanks!

Not quite the same but I have acute bronchopulmonary aspergillius

(basically a fungal growth in my lung with all sorts of nasty side effects including scarred lungs) I've had symptoms for nearly 3 years and been diagnosed for nearly 2. In that time I've raced several IM's, and some swim and bike events.

To simplify it my experience/advice would be
- try and avoid getting ill at all cost. I have had a lung infection every 6 months for nearly 3 years now and it is a nightmare on several levels (much harder to get rid of than for a well person, kills fitness etc.). For this winter that is my no 1. priority and I have decided I will be start being rude to people if necessary, leaving social occasions etc if someone is around with a cold/flu. It is simply not worth it
- My top end has taken a big whack both near maximal exertion and duration at or above threshold. It is simply too uncomfortable to breath hard for very long, which on top of itself being a problem it means this level doesn't get trained much so there is a bit of a spiral there.
- Sub threshold pace and endurance hasn't suffered at all though (I can do the high end stuff enough for this level's development)
- Swimming helps keep my lungs 'firing well' more than just 'another exercise'. Something to do with the breath control and process for swimming.
DOUBLEDEE777

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: diagnosed today with this disease Reply with quote

I am so happy to have found this forum posting. I am a triathlete who transitioned to aquabike this year and even competed at worlds in Denmark in July I had a serious illness three years ago and developed pleurisy secondary to pericarditis. I thought it was behind me and although I have noticed a decrease in my performance and speed I assumed it was a result of getting older. I am almost 56. I recently got sick and it turned into pneumonia pretty quickly. After 11 days on antibiotics i was still running a fever and feeling very tired and weak A ct scan revealed my bronchiectasis. I have been competing in tris for 8 years. But with this diagnosis I was worried this was the end of my tri career, this gives me hope.
StevieW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just stumbled across this thread. I am lifelong asthmatic and was diagnosed with Bronchiectasis about a year ago after a series of chest infections that lead to a chest x-ray and CT scan. After about six months of consultations and sputum tests, I was told that I have a resident colony of microbateria intercellulare and was prescribed a 2 year course of 3 antibiotics to be taken Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
The meds had an almost immediate effect, and this past summer, I had my best ever season in triathlon participating in 6 sprints, with my best ever results. More importantly, I haven't felt this well in years.
My Consultant was very pleased to hear about my training levels even though I don't do masses in comparison to the distance guys, and he reckons this is a good way to reduce the infection risk with Bronchiectasis as it keeps the mucous moving.

Good luck to everyone with this condition.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: