Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nice 70.3 (2019) WC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Nice 70.3 (2019) WC Reply with quote

So, the old saying, if you go to roll-down you might get lucky happened to me yesterday at Edinburgh 70.3.

I did the race, had an abysmal swim which wasn't helped by being 200M longer and choppy, even the pro times were down a bit.

Wimped the bike a bit as I didn't want to cook myself, I've not really raced more than 3 hours since Oct 16 due to illness and injury. It's got a few digs in the middle and seems to go on all day, but was moving past people.

My 2 longest runs since the London marathon run\walk\shuffle have been a 13 mile run\walk and 13k at the slateman because of an IT band issue, so I've been averaging about 13 MPW, if that, flat on a treadmill or a parkrun.

My run wasn't terrible, 1:42 is nothing to write home about but a couple of us also got it as being a bit long, and it had ~280m of climbing. I'd say about 7-8 minutes slower than a flat course. Think I was ~ top 10% including the pro's on the run.

This got me 11th in the M45, and I couldn't decide whether to hang about, as it was my friend had said he wouldn't be taking the 4th slot and his wife came 3rd in her AG so I hung around to watch that.

They also gave away South Africa slots and just asked anyone to stand up if they wanted to go, there was about 4 unused female slots, and 36/37 men took theirs and then one more decided he'd go, so no need for the official roll-down. SA hasn't seemed that popular, and being so close it will probably be even more expensive now.

They got to M45 (for Nice) and announced there were 5 slots, more than I'd expected and only 2 of the top 5 wanted to go, I started to get nervous & excited, 7th took one, so still 2 left, no 8th, then when 9th never answered I knew I was in, the last slot went to 13th I think, I was too excited to listen after I got called out Smile

So, credit card is feeling sorry for itself but I've got 14 months to get flights\accommodation etc.

Only really going for the experience, clearly I'm not going to give anyone sleepless nights. Our A\G was stacked yesterday, the winner was an ex-rower I think and I think he was first non-pro also beating several pro's, 2nd & 3rd also did 4:45ish on a tough course.

It's a good race, but the roads are rough in places, there's a few cobbles in the last 5 miles, I'd say it was similar to Wimbleball.

Anyway, hopefully a few more of you will either qualify by being good or lucky for next year Smile

Jeff
tin pot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Smile
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K ‘18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Sir!

The 70.3 WC's are actually a great experience now - a bit low key when I first did in (Las Vegas, 2013), but last year in Chattanooga it was really special. Think Kona is on the shelf for all but the genetically gifted few who are also lucky enough to have a life that supports virtual professional athlete level training, so many more people are doing the 70.3 WC instead.

I really liked having the split male/female races over 2 days, so you get the see the 'other' race.

Nice will be an absolute cracker, only 2nd time it's been in Europe. 2020 is allegedly between Perth and Taupo/NZ so I think loads will be targeting this one and it won't roll as much as usual.

IF things go well in Weymouth I may be joining ya! Smile

Wonder if they can get the 70.3 course out to the IM climb....

Razz
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute stormer Jeff, well done dude!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Nice...in both ways!

So they were handing out slots for 2018 & 2019 WCs then? Nice is actually way more appealing to me than either SA or NZ; mainly due to cost of travel, but also the history there. Hmm, are there any more UK 70.s I could try and get a Nice slot at?

EDIT - Weymouth...mmmm.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

So they were handing out slots for 2018 & 2019 WCs then? Nice is actually way more appealing to me than either SA or NZ; mainly due to cost of travel, but also the history there. Hmm, are there any more UK 70.s I could try and get a Nice slot at?

EDIT - Weymouth...mmmm.

Edinburgh was the first race globally I think with Nice slots on the line. As you say, it was a rare race where they made it a dual qualifier.

Good work Jeff. I'd like to qualify for Nice if I could, but had presumed the domestic races wouldn't roll down at all. I think Weymouth will be fairly stacked, but it's on the list of potentials depending on how I feel after my IM (if it doesnt sell out before).

I'm actually thinking of doing a far away 70.3, as part of a longer holiday (say, something like SA and mix in a safari which is a holiday I've always wanted to do afterwards), and hope the competition for places there isn't as fierce as it will be in Europe.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

EDIT - Weymouth...mmmm.

Or Dublin (sorry Dun Laoghaire)
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to have a go a qualifying in Weymouth... probably going to be a little competitive
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Edinburgh was the first race globally I think with Nice slots on the line. As you say, it was a rare race where they made it a dual qualifier.

Good work Jeff. I'd like to qualify for Nice if I could, but had presumed the domestic races wouldn't roll down at all. I think Weymouth will be fairly stacked, but it's on the list of potentials depending on how I feel after my IM (if it doesnt sell out before).

I'm actually thinking of doing a far away 70.3, as part of a longer holiday (say, something like SA and mix in a safari which is a holiday I've always wanted to do afterwards), and hope the competition for places there isn't as fierce as it will be in Europe.

I fear Weymouth will be pretty stacked as well, assuming 50 slots? I was 7th AG and picked up the 3rd of 4 slots and that was for Chattanooga, which was never going to be as popular as Nice will be. I'm told the Irish 70.3 Dun Loaghaire (sp?) rolls way more than Staffs/Weymouth so worth considering. A mate has snaffled a slot there twice and he's MOP.

Remember 70.3's always roll, it ain't Kona. Mate of mine did Staffs with the intention of Q-ing, but left assuming his 28th/29th AG was nowhere near. He could have gone. Likewise STAY TO THE END, as many times I've seen slots get unclaimed - people have left after their AG didn't roll as far as their finish and then unclaimed slots get reallocated back to their AG - sometimes as far as 'hands up anyone who wants it'.

Going to another continent usually puts you in 'hands up anyone who wants to go' territory, but £££....
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Going to another continent usually puts you in 'hands up anyone who wants to go' territory, but £££....

For sure. But that's the thinking of combining with a one-off type safari holiday that I really want to do anyway. In that mindset, the flights are almost free ...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this year I'd be competing in M40-44, but hypothetically if Q'd would race next year in M45 as I age-up. Interestingly, M45 didn't look too stacked in Staffs.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Actually, this year I'd be competing in M40-44, but hypothetically if Q'd would race next year in M45 as I age-up. Interestingly, M45 didn't look too stacked in Staffs.

How does that work for IM? Do you qualify as M40 and race as M45 or do they move your result to the M45 agegroup before working out the qualifers?
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

How does that work for IM? Do you qualify as M40 and race as M45 or do they move your result to the M45 agegroup before working out the qualifers?

You would have to qualify as M40-44, but would compete in the WC the following year as M45-49.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

You would have to qualify as M40-44, but would compete in the WC the following year as M45-49.

So actually tougher to qualify if you want to race WC at the bottom of your agegroup. And do IM do age on the day or for the season?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:

So actually tougher to qualify if you want to race WC at the bottom of your agegroup. And do IM do age on the day or for the season?

Yes, if you qualify the calendar year before at the top end of M40 it's probably harder to Q, but then 'easier' to place at the WC as you're at the 'bottom' of M45, which is your category the following year* However, the majority people qualify for a WC in the same calendar year - certainly in the case of Kona (cut-off is Sep each year).

*Your AG is dependent on your age on 31 Dec that year. So being born at the start of Feb, I'm always the 'right age' for my AG anyway; in the northern hemisphere season.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: