Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Joe Skipper changed bike?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
If Joe is posting pictures that include his bike then people are probably noticing what he is using and discussing it, so the message is spreading organically Rolling Eyes

I can understand this to a point. I've often thought the people you want to know what kit they use is not the top pros who get given it free but the ones a level down who have to buy it themselves, what are they actually spending their money on? The number of interviews I've heard recently where the athlete has said "I only work with companies/products I would use anyway" it must be a line fed to them to try and create the impression they aren't in it for the free stuff.
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Sean Kelly who said that the "best bike I've ever ridden" was always the one that he was being paid to ride at that point in time Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Chrace wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Don't go on Insta brah. Period. Twitter barely registers on my radar, and FB is pretty banal.

How are marketers supposed to reach out to me? Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Don't worry, they don't even attempt to reach out to old technophobic gits. Wink

You mean the old technophobic gits who may have a little bit of money to spend?

Precisely. Although I think I was pretty early in buying the Favero Assiomas by my standards! I normally give it a few years before I buy 'new' technology, when they've sorted the gremlins.

Point is, if someone is banging-on about a product on Youtube, I'm cynical. If a long-term poster on here or ST raves about something, I'm more receptive. I feel that Forums are a last bastion of 'modesty' where people aren't trying to shove stuff down other people's throats for gain (ego or selling).
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Point is, if someone is banging-on about a product on Youtube, I'm cynical. If a long-term poster on here or ST raves about something, I'm more receptive. I feel that Forums are a last bastion of 'modesty' where people aren't trying to shove stuff down other people's throats for gain (ego or selling).

Definitely agree with this. I would put a lot more weight on experiences described here than any online "reviews" or social media plugs, except for maybe DCR.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trend now seems to be towards bunging AGs a box of gels who then plaster your name all over FB, Insta etc. rather than using the equivalent amount of money to sponsor a genuinely talented pro or up and coming youngster.

The AGs get to pretend they're some kind of pro and #tag all their posts with their "sponsors" and the brand is plastered all over social media compared to a smaller number of actual pro's, in my mind to the detriment of the sport.

For those on ST, the artist formerly known as Pubes did a post a while back about what he termed "Profameteurs" which was quite amusing. He could be a bit of a d1ck but he did have his moments.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Is_there_any_worse_species_in_the_triathlon_ecosystem_than_the_profamateur%3F_P6238925/?search_string=profamateur#p6238925
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is important to a pro, is not necessarily important to you or me: of course I am looking for performance, but I am also looking for quality, a piece of equipment that will be reliable and will work for a long time, a bike that I can maintain myself

I would tend to trust people on this forum and people in my clubs, I tend to trust people who write good quality blogs, however, I am skeptical about many recommendations I see on facebook

Magazine / sporting media tests are also very suspect, the reality is the companies who provide significant advertising revenue will also receive more favorable test results
r0bh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe has just popped a photo of his new bike on Facebook and tagged in Quintana Roo so I guess it is a new sponsor
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0bh wrote:
Joe has just popped a photo of his new bike on Facebook and tagged in Quintana Roo so I guess it is a new sponsor

he said it was on that post....also he said its the fastest bike hes ever ridden, much like the previous Ribble he rode. some one commented on that very point Wink
hammerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
The trend now seems to be towards bunging AGs a box of gels who then plaster your name all over FB, Insta etc. rather than using the equivalent amount of money to sponsor a genuinely talented pro or up and coming youngster.

The AGs get to pretend they're some kind of pro and #tag all their posts with their "sponsors" and the brand is plastered all over social media compared to a smaller number of actual pro's, in my mind to the detriment of the sport.

For those on ST, the artist formerly known as Pubes did a post a while back about what he termed "Profameteurs" which was quite amusing. He could be a bit of a d1ck but he did have his moments.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Is_there_any_worse_species_in_the_triathlon_ecosystem_than_the_profamateur%3F_P6238925/?search_string=profamateur#p6238925

Most AG'ers i know with a "sponsorship" especially from a supplement company end up giving up weekends to be on a stand at trade fairs or shows. Here's 10% off our product, now give us unpaid work for x days!
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Most AG'ers i know with a "sponsorship" especially from a supplement company end up giving up weekends to be on a stand at trade fairs or shows. Here's 10% off our product, now give us unpaid work for x days!

Inspired isn't it. Using (exploiting) peoples' egos to get them to promote stuff for you, for very little outlay.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:

Inspired isn't it. Using (exploiting) peoples' egos to get them to promote stuff for you, for very little outlay.

Some triathletes just have no shame Smile
http://www.220triathlon.com/news/brownlees-to-open-the-london-bike-show-and-triathlon-show-london/12757.html
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly related subject, a swimmer from my kid's club is now a GB swimmer and record holder. They came back recently and did a talk and training session for the kids - charge £8 per head. So after 7+ years of swimming for the club and receiving all the help from the volunteer coaches, officials, parents etc. over that time, the best they can give back is a one-off chargeable session (pool etc. was already paid for as it was a normal training night). Seems a bit mercenary to me, I would have thought it was an opportunity to pay a little back to your home club who have effectively sponsored you for a long time.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Seems a bit mercenary to me, I would have thought it was an opportunity to pay a little back to your home club who have effectively sponsored you for a long time.

That's astonishing, but rarely the norm in my experience of similar situations, although none in swimming. In fact I can barely imagine it - I'm kind of hoping that the fee was actually a money raiser for the club, but I am sure you would have known.
ttowel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
r0bh wrote:

he said it was on that post....also he said its the fastest bike hes ever ridden, much like the previous Ribble he rode. some one commented on that very point Wink

To be fair, every bike or wheel Joe has ever had, has been the fastest he's ever ridden. Same with trainers, wetsuit, skin suit, helmet etc.

Thats what sponsorship is all about
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: