Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Nike Vaporfly 4% Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Yes.

A NikeID is just an online account.
It doesn’t get you a “deal” on the Next% though, so you’ll still have to stump up £210-£240 depending on which model you buy.

There are only three retailers of these shoe. So not much shopping around to be had. I’ve found Nike to be the cheapest.

What’s a “semi-quick” half? Dipping under 75 minutes?
I always thought that time was unachievable for me.
Since getting these shoes, I can taste it.

Just to reiterate;
I started running properly again in June 2018, after a five year layoff.
I was 77kg come Race day in March 2019.
Previous PB was 82mins at 72kg about a decade ago.
Recent parkrun times prior to the half were;

Oct 2018 - 21:33
Nov 2018 - 20:02 (I got 19:56???)
Jan 2019 - 19:45
Feb 2019 - 19:14
Mar 2019 - 18:42

March 2019 Run was done in Zoom Fly SP and torrential wind and rain.
Anyhow...Jack Daniels told me that time was about an 86 minute half...my aim was just a sub 90 minute one, to build on.

...race day was eight days after the 5km, with the Vaporfly 4%.
I lined up with the sub 1:25 pacers, then eked forward to the 80 minute ones.
The pace felt comfortable and I flew through 5km in 18:37, but it felt easy!!!

So I just carried on running at my rough 5k pace for 21.1km. Simples.

I’m going back to do parkrun this weekend, hoping to go someway under 18

Sorry, I meant semi-quick for me! Haha. I don’t have the time or desire to train specifically for a half this summer, but hoping that whatever I do end up doing (mix of everything from track workouts to 40-50 mile trail runs) will put me in reasonable shape. I’m thinking more like sub 80, maybe. PB was a couple of years ago – 77.27 – less than a week after a really bad case of D&V. Went with the sole aim of <75. Had I paced to maximise my time, I’d say low 76 would have been likely. I do think I can go under 75 though, if I want to try again. I did that build up on the massive volume, no speed work principle and it worked pretty well. But with children and life now, I’d have to go for a more traditional higher intensity lower volume style.

I’d probably ‘just’ go for the 4%s … got to keep some room for improvement! Haha.

That’s some progression there though Poet! I’ve matched last year’s Parkrun PB already (in my first one this year) off no real focus – so down at 17.35 at the moment. I am hoping to be back in sub 17 shape in the next 4-6 weeks. Hence the question around the shoes … are they going to help me on my journey?!
Poet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d say yes....
But make sure the house doesn’t kill you first.
I’m wrecked after two weeks of DIY and training.

I’m also hoping to be in PB breaking sub-17 shape in the next six weeks.
Trying to do a 34:xx 10km first weekend of July (Pb is 35:01, breaks my heart)...aiming for a 75 minute HM in October at Manchester (for the Championship VLM entry)

I wouldn’t even be contemplating the above without the trainers.
#JustSayin
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
I’d say yes....
But make sure the house doesn’t kill you first.
I’m wrecked after two weeks of DIY and training.

I’m also hoping to be in PB breaking sub-17 shape in the next six weeks.
Trying to do a 34:xx 10km first weekend of July (Pb is 35:01, breaks my heart)...aiming for a 75 minute HM in October at Manchester (for the Championship VLM entry)

I wouldn’t even be contemplating the above without the trainers.
#JustSayin

Sounds very similar to me, but my 10km from a few years ago was 35.07, so not quite as bad! Though every one since then i managed to c0ck up. With the form i was in, and the people i was regularly competing with i should've been closer to 34 than 35. Must have just been too soft! I think 10km is the worst distance of all personally!

House stuff is coming to an end now, so hoping to have some time back! I flippin hate DIY with a passion!
Poet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look around at the next start line, most of the quicker runners are wearing the 4%.

You are the odd one out if you do not have them.

Therefore, you simply must buy them.

I rarely used to pay over £80 for my running shoes, and still love a bargain (if it fits), but I'm used to shelling out the £££ for work shoes and casual trainers, so biting the bullet for these had the blessing of my wife.

Plus, it was less than the disc wheel my clubmate was offering me Wink
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are the odd one out if you do not have them.

Yellow start yesterday.... Very Happy Very Happy

Was even more apparent when we lined up for the start....orange and blue with swooshes everywhere.
Poet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow = championship or GFA?
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also interesting that Nike are the only company paying big bucks athlete endorsements. A few 2nd tier on New Balance (Calum Hawkins?) and maybe the odd Asics, but Adidas nowhere to be seen.

I'm sure a few years ago it was the other way around. All the front guys were in Adidas and Nike was nowhere.
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Also interesting that Nike are the only company paying big bucks athlete endorsements. A few 2nd tier on New Balance (Calum Hawkins?) and maybe the odd Asics, but Adidas nowhere to be seen.

I'm sure a few years ago it was the other way around. All the front guys were in Adidas and Nike was nowhere.

I noticed that. Adidas had 1 runner in the top 10 of men/women. A long time Adidas athlete I know in SA moved to Nike this year.

My sister works for Adidas and massively dodged the question when I asked what they were doing about the hype of Nike this year.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Nike certainly had a hiatus as a serious running brand imo; during the naughties. They seem to have bounced back big time. Brands like Asics that were big then, are way less prevalent now.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tri seems to still be pretty well spread out - i guess it's not exactly a prolific sport, financially speaking, so you need to go where the £$ is coming from. You see a lot of NB, Asics, Hoka, Zoot etc. Don't actually recally seeing many Nike trainers though.

Wonder how many pros will be looking to negotiate out of their footwear deals if they think they are potentially going to be shipping secs/mins to their rivals?!
tommy060289

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 2:48:31 yesterday compared to 2:50:something back in 2017. I don’t remember entirely but felt like there was worse headwinds than 2017 in London this time (not terrible but have had better (and worse) and yet I finished lower down the pecking order by something like 30-40 places.

Obviously there is more to the competition and race day but a phenomenal amount of those around me had Vaporfly on and even saw two pairs of %next

Since I can’t get them in a 13, I’ve come to the conclusion that they should be banned. It’s clearly an unfair advantage, and if you believe the marketing of 4% faster, 4% faster than your baseline? Isn’t this admitting the shoes make you faster! I currently run in Hoka Tracers which would be a sort of ‘cushioned-racing flat’ but you couldn’t claim they made me faster, surely all they would do is allow me to reach my maximum potential, as opposed to an actual bonus from the energy return on the carbon fibre?

[/sourgrapes]

On a side note I saw some truest horrific running form in the Vaporfly, people internally pronating later in the race as they fatigued I’m amazed they didn’t snap their ankles!

Hoka have their own sort of version which is the carbon rocket, essentially a Tracer with a carbon insole, I’m tempted as they do freak foot sizes but I’m not sure of going to a 1 mm drop and also they don’t quite have the results to demonstrate that the Vaporfly do.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the 4% and it's carbon plate cousins don't really reward forefoot running; you're better-off mid or heel striking to get the benefit of the carbon plate. The fellrnr review seems to bear this out too iirc.
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Yellow = championship or GFA?

Yellow is the new name for Red GFA start

Can start on blue champ next year Very Happy
Poet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Tupperware.

what did you do?
And how much of it is the trainers? Wink
Tupperware

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Nice work Tupperware.

what did you do?
And how much of it is the trainers? Wink

2:51 last year in the heat, 2:39 this year with VFs (similar training build up). Not planning to run it again in my usual trainers for the benefits of science Very Happy. Safe to say temperature had a big impact, but I am sure the trainer's made a difference.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: