Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IRONMAN Hamburg 2019 - Rumble in the M45 Jungle
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valleyboy74

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: IRONMAN Hamburg 2019 - Rumble in the M45 Jungle Reply with quote

Looking to do my first Ironman next year and due to holiday restrictions as I’m a teacher it’s looking like Ironmn Hamburg. Looks a great city and we plan to make it part of our summer holidays but really concerned about the swim after this years got cancelled. I know it can’t be helped but would not consider it complete if I hadn’t done the full distance. How much was this year a one off or is the Alster prone to high levels of algae?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any locals that could offer some insight?

Cheers all
valleyboy74
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the ITU race 2 weeks before and the water quality was supposed to be good, it looked a bit manky but I was alright after.

It's hard to say but I don't think they've ever cancelled the ITU swim in there.

There's been problems with a few swims because of the heat this year, Switzerland was non-wetsuit, Bolton nearly got cancelled because of algae. Oddly Tallinn nearly got cancelled today for being too cold.

It was a nice place BTW, and the bike is pan flat, although most of it is single carriageway, nice smooth tarmac, but unless you are near the front it might be hard overtaking or avoiding drafting. A lot of it is single carriageway

Jeff
valleyboy74

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallin and Switzerland were the other options, Switzerland is out now as it’s a week earlier and as we are hoping to go on holidays straight after Tallin has limited options to fly direct.

Strangely the pan flat bike course of Hamburg is another reason that’s slightly putting me off as I’m much stronger on a climbers course, IM Wales would suit me and I’m only an hour away but have done the LCW twice so not much of a thrill doing it again and I ride there regularly anyway.

Good to know that swimming is usually ok, will probably go with it and hope for a more ‘normal’ summer!
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tallinn was fairly flat on the bike, ~700M total, but the run was a bit lumpy.

How about Maastricht, it was a nice place, bike course changes every year though, but was lumpy, if not as bad as Wales etc.

It's also a really nice place, swim is in the river which seemed clean without much flow. But as with a lot of Europe, can get warm.

Jeff
valleyboy74

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jeff, looked at Maastricht but seems really hard to get travel to and looking to fly to Majorca straight after for a family hols.

Think Hamburg has all that I need, just hope the swim is on.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valleyboy74 wrote:
Cheers Jeff, looked at Maastricht but seems really hard to get travel to and looking to fly to Majorca straight after for a family hols.

Think Hamburg has all that I need, just hope the swim is on.

Vichy could be ruled out for the same reason then?
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me Maastricht was only about 2-3 hours from the ferry at Rotterdam.

FWIW, the swim looks like it was non-wetsuit this year.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've started looking at flight options and hotels in the city. There are direct flights from Bristol for sensible money, which is a bonus. Could end-up being a coin toss between this & IMCH. Not sure how the slightly later date into the school holidays would fit domestically.

Either way, could be another German speaking Ironman - I'm yet to do a branded one outside DE/AUT (Frankfurt, Regensburg & Austria x2 plus Roth). Much nicer roads over there too; last 2 Full dist races have been on UK roads Mad
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be another warm one though, not sure it sold out this year, or was very late so I might see how things go as I do fancy it. The longer you leave it though entry fees, flights & accommodation go up.

I think it might be a quicker course than Barcelona as the swim shouldn't be as choppy.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Could be another warm one though,

I think that goes for anything on the Continent - you take your chance. I've had two races over 35 degrees out of 5 on the Continent, two that were wet & windy, and one that was high 20s and about right!

My two bad races were the hot ones Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Jorgan on Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
JeffB wrote:
Could be another warm one though,

I think that goes for anything on the Continent though - you take your chance. I've had two races over 35 degrees out of 5 on the Continent, two that were wet & windy, and one that was high 20s and about right!

My two bad races were the hot ones Rolling Eyes

Tell me about these Jorgan, they sound interesting....
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

Ah, but you won't have heard about Austria in 2009, Jonny-come-lately Wink Split my head open on a low bridge the week before; ambulance to A&E to be sewn-up. The race was a classic lesson in bad pacing on the bike; first lap in 2:28 then died a death on the marathon, walking most of it after 20km in & out of portaloos. Spent 2 hours in the medical tent at the finish, 3 IVs. It was a shame, as I was as fit as I'd ever been. The end.

Still scraped a sub-11 though Finger
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

Ah, but you won't have heard about Austria in 2009, Jonny-come-lately Wink Split my head open on a low bridge the week before; ambulance to A&E to be sewn-up. The race was a classic lesson in bad pacing on the bike; first lap in 2:28 then died a death on the marathon, walking most of it after 20km in & out of portaloos. Spent 2 hours in the medical tent at the finish, 3 IVs. It was a shame, as I was as fit as I'd ever been. The end.

Still scraped a sub-11 though Finger
Twisted Evil Very Happy Very Happy

Yeah i only have the one IM to cling on to ... a sub 12 first try as an unexperienced athlete at Wales is probably worth a 10.30 on an easy course though surely?!?! Confused Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Yeah i only have the one IM to cling on to ... a sub 12 first try as an unexperienced athlete at Wales is probably worth a 10.30 on an easy course though surely?!?! Confused Wink

Depends how bad the weather was at Tenby I guess; but I'd say worth an hour (at your speed) if it was a kind weather day vs. a fast course. The KQ standard is about 40 min slower for Male fortysomething - If I was to hazard a guess.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably say an hour as well for Tenby, Lucy G only just got under 10 hours today but has done sub-9 on faster courses.

Although I'm not sure they've ever had good weather there, part of the challenge.

It was a good race, part of me would like to do it again, but another part remembers how tough it was and I'm not TC Laughing

Mind, if Jorgan turned up it could be nearly 30c with your track record

Jeff
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: