Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What would you struggle to give-up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: What would you struggle to give-up? Reply with quote

So I'm doing dry January in solidarity with my wife. I don't think it will be that difficult tbh, and I reckon I could go a month or more without meat too (wife is pescatarian, so we don't eat a lot anyway).

Giving-up Caffeine though, that would be very taxing! I normally try not to have it after 7pm, but this month I'm going to try and wean myself down to 4 cups a day (first thing, one when I get to work, a coffee at 10, then another tea after lunch). I really struggled when I was with the in-laws over Christmas, as I kept getting decaf tea made for me all the time; I felt so sluggish, although that could also have been the diet Rolling Eyes
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done dry January for over 20 years. When I started I was in my 20s and drinking every Thursday, Friday & Saturday night fairly heavily so a clean month seemed like a good idea.

I don't drink much now but it's become a bit of a habit to carry on with it and it seems a shame to break my run. I don't miss the drink at all and find it also focusses the mind on eating a bit better too so works all round.

My big weakness is coke, not the hard drug, fizzy pop. I always drink diet but it's still very acidic and the dentist bo11ocks me every time I go about the state of my enamel. I've tried drinking more water but never last long before I'm back on the pop again.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought about it for about a nano second....it's not that I don't need to do it, but that I have no will power and will then beat myself up when I fail...

..thus I have just decided to crack on for now, but to train more...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drink a lot of tea. I could probably replace a lot of that with plain water, but, I love a brew.
Alcohol, is fine. I've not been a big drinker for years and can go weeks without a drop, but at this time of year I do tend to let things slip.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bread.

I have tried to cut down on my bread intake, but there's nothing that is as cheap, simple, conveninent, filling or just bl00dy delicious! I know thats a major cause of my little abdominal duvet; that and beer. I don't drink a lot, but i do like a ocuple of bottles on a friday night, or a glass of wine on a Fri and Sat. So very moderate.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had various periods of giving up booze, and I suspect like with a lot of theses it's not the actual alcohol you are missing but the ritual around it. I don't drink a lot theses days but I miss the ritual of a beer on a Friday evening when the kid has gone to bed.

I would find sugar hard to give up, I try to cut down but never seem to make to much of an impression.

So many races so little time.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do dry January but I have 5 bottles of whiskey, several bottles of vodka, a couple of rum 4 bottles of tequila, 1 bottle of gin and several other assorted drinks that are all burning a hole in our drinks table.

I am not so weak I could not leave them there and do a dry January, but having that much alcohol waiting at the end would lead to a very thirsty February Laughing

That might miss the point slightly. So I will gradually get through that over the next few months then consider an alcohol free period when it could really count!

Count for what I don't know, as I still have no race plans for next year...

I am really not sure what I would struggle to give up. I have done the hardest thing quite a few times, Carbs, and have always managed sustained periods of abstinence. I have done caffeine (pointless) and alcohol quite a few times too.

My problem is not temporary abstinence, that's' easy, it's not falling straight back into bad ways right afterward that I fall down on. I think these "months" con ourselves into believing we are not hopelessly addicted...
Chrace

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you struggle to give-up? Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Giving-up Caffeine though, that would be very taxing! I normally try not to have it after 7pm, but this month I'm going to try and wean myself down to 4 cups a day (first thing, one when I get to work, a coffee at 10, then another tea after lunch). I really struggled when I was with the in-laws over Christmas, as I kept getting decaf tea made for me all the time; I felt so sluggish, although that could also have been the diet Rolling Eyes

I used to drink 3 cups of coffee per day and then a load of diet coke. Went to the inlaws for a Christmas where there was no coke and just a cup of coffee per day. I broke down badly, massive headache, completely gone.

So I took that was a wake up call when I found out I was basically a caffeine addict and started reducing it. I hate the idea that my body would crave something so out of my control, and that I might end up with problems in an extreme 20 hour IM where I wouldn't have access to the stuff.

Now doing 1 cup of coffee per day, rigidly, and have switched to caffeine free coke. Can quite easily do a day without a cuppa but still enjoy it in the morning.

tl;dr - don't do a cold turkey. It fecking hurts.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink caffeine after midday so see no need to give that up. I'm not doing dry January because I don't want to. Also, does it really count if you're drinking on New Year's eve after midnight?

I will give up alcohol later in the year to avoid pointless calories and stop it interfering with training I should be doing. I've stopped for 3 months before, so hoping it wont be a problem this time.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just bring some fruit/herbal tea bags to work, I reckon I can reduce my caffeine, as it's the habit of having a 'brew' that I rely on. Maybe just caffeine first thing and a mid-morning coffee. Although not sure how I'd cope after lunch Rolling Eyes Very Happy
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What would you struggle to give-up? Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Bread.

The second I read that, I realised this was true for me too. I don't often have bread in the house, but when I do I love the stuff (nothing better than a fresh loaf and thickly spread butter), and when out and about I will eat quite a lot of sandwiches. I don't know how I would replace that convenience eating. I struggle to get a quick lunch when abroad in places which don't seem to have a sandwich culture. There's just nothing equivalent that's cheap, easy and moderately sized available.

Chrace wrote:
tl;dr - don't do a cold turkey. It fecking hurts.

Helpful, being at the end of the post Wink
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What would you struggle to give-up? Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I struggle to get a quick lunch when abroad in places which don't seem to have a sandwich culture. There's just nothing equivalent that's cheap, easy and moderately sized available.

Boycott SE Asia?

I swear all I ate was chicken, rice & pak choi when I was there Very Happy
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What would you struggle to give-up? Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:
I struggle to get a quick lunch when abroad in places which don't seem to have a sandwich culture. There's just nothing equivalent that's cheap, easy and moderately sized available.

Boycott SE Asia?

All depends on that valuable commodity though - time!

When i was travelling i didn't miss not eating bread for months on end ... but i had the time to sit at roadside, err, eateries and scoff down rice meals. i can't do that at home. Well i could, if i was super organised and made lunches every evening and that sort of stuff ... but that really isn't top of my list of stuff to do! After the kids have finally gone down i either want to go out running or just relax!

Work is my biggest problem. Again, by not always being as organised as i should be i often can't be bothered to make a packed lunch and end up buying crappy sandwiches crisps etc. Working in a Uni means an endless supply of food that is too tempting! I try to fill in the gaps with muesli, but that's still very carby and i'm not a massive veg lover. I eat it because it's healthy, but i can't say i enjoy it particularly (not in a healthy form anyway!! )
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i could chow down a bottle of Huel every day instead! Facebook assures me it's the way forward!! Very Happy Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What would you struggle to give-up? Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
stenard wrote:

Boycott SE Asia?

It wasn't chicken Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: