Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Shipping bike in a cardboard bike box - Store packing costs?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldenboots

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Shipping bike in a cardboard bike box - Store packing costs? Reply with quote

I'm flying one way with a bike in a couple of weeks time, and have decided to go for a cardboard box rather than purchasing (and then having to store) a proper bike box.

Was thinking of getting the local bike shop to pack it for me, as I'd be asking them for a box anyway, but wondered if anybody had done this and had any experience? How much did your bike shop charge please?

Not keen on paying through the nose for something I could do with myself with a bit ore time and effort
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rather pedantic with this sort of stuff, and would rather do it myself so I know all the bits are there and know how to put them together again. LBS is better than me at mechanics so might be they have some clever way of dismantling that I won't understand when I get to put it back together.

I just don't want that headache, especially if it's travelling for a race. Plenty of other stuff to be worried about then.

Although, the idea of paying my way out of it does have it's lure. Are you planning to use a bike shop the other end as well?
Symes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second Chrace on this one, head to B n Q and get a bunch of pipe lagging and box it yourself, it's always found it easier to re-assemble something you've taken apart, not just bikes.

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
goldenboots

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be assembling myself on the other side as I'll likely have a lot more free time whilst searching for a job.

It was mainly to save a couple of hours of shouting at a bike that won't fit when I know it should that I was hoping a bike shop could help with - that to me would be worth a bit of £££, especially as I don't have that many free evenings remaining, but obviously it depends how much... £30 or so and we're talking... £60+ and I'll definitely be doing it all myself
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shaun - pretty sure a few people in the club have had bikes packed by nearby LBS's. A few did for Mallorca 70.3 when we headed out there for sure.

Apex list it at £35, including the box: https://www.apexcycles.com/workshop/

Glad to hear you'll be rebuilding. I raced with one of the guys who had it rebuilt at an LBS post-Mallorca the weekend after, and they hadn't torqued his extensions properly. They came loose, rotated round, so he could only ride on the base bar. Would much rather trust my own attention to detail!
goldenboots

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Stenard, Apex is a bit far now but will pop in to the local Evans and 'road cycle exchange' in Kingston tonight as they're both just around the corner
Chrace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be more than an hour for a decent mechanic (more likely a half), and they usually quote 25-40/hour in most places?

Fully understand the time trade-off, and if you got time on the other side to do it yourself then it's probably ok. I'm assuming you have built a bike before.
goldenboots

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
Shouldn't be more than an hour for a decent mechanic (more likely a half), and they usually quote 25-40/hour in most places?

Fully understand the time trade-off, and if you got time on the other side to do it yourself then it's probably ok. I'm assuming you have built a bike before.

No but there's always time to learn Very Happy Exclamation
goldenboots

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though saying that I was hoping it would be a case of just pedals and bars off, and potentially the rear derailleur, as you would in a permanent bike box. Is this not the case for a cardboard one?

Have certainly done the above plenty of times. This time though it is a CX bike with disk brakes which I am completely new to. Could be fun on the other side
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would do it myself. Anyway, two big things you'll want to do that I've not seen mentioned:

- Brace the frame/fork between dropouts, particularly the rear one. If it's a thru-axle, the traditional 'strut' axle braces won't work for travel. I have just used a bit of rolled tri-wall packing cardboard cut to length and wrapped around the thru-axle & taped in place.

- You'll want to put stoppers in the brake pads if they're hydraulic; either specific 'bleeds blocks' or again just shove some folded cardboard in there.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grade of box would be worth checking. Most bikes arrive in reasonably light boxes, but they come in a container...

depends on the bike, but certainly front wheel off, bars turned and dropped, saddle dropped and pedals off. Some boxes are big enough to leave the back wheel on which is added protection for the derailleur...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
the grade of box would be worth checking.

Obviously needs a NATO-spec tri-wall MFO box Very Happy
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
the grade of box would be worth checking.

Obviously needs a NATO-spec tri-wall MFO box Very Happy

absolutely Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
goldenboots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.... £40 at Evans which felt like a bit of a rip off.

Looks like a trip to Halfords this weekend to try and blag an old box to do it myself I guess
awildt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenboots wrote:
hmmm.... £40 at Evans which felt like a bit of a rip off.

Looks like a trip to Halfords this weekend to try and blag an old box to do it myself I guess

Why go to the big chains? The LBS will gladly offer you a bike box as the councils like to charge them extortionate amounts for bin collection, and you can never get bike boxes small enough to avoid overfilling a bin.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: