Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ultra / Trail Running - General Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 156, 157, 158  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veggieboy wrote:
ed_m wrote:
Crawley is a nice track.... when the weather is ok.

But the town is a sh1thole no matter what the weather is like

most towns are.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ultra Reply with quote

Maca_Lad wrote:
I've got a 12hr track race down in Crawley on Saturday. Just think of the panoramic views I'll have! Wink
flippin eck maca, we are chalk n cheese on this one. Good luck with that. Bet my race takes longer!!! Horrendous strong 'feels like minus 5' Northerly winds forecast FFS but it should be dry thank feck...
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
Crawley is a nice track.... when the weather is ok.

The 1st 5 hours each direction are a breeze... Smile
2010-ChesterMara3:50|FM13:59:59|DIUK33:29|BW13:43
2011-GinPitMaras8.47|FM13.10|Outlaw12.40|HOTH|BW13.50
2012-Crawley12-54mi|Duk40-7:45|Enduro100-26.49|Outlaw12:57|TR24
2013-Gin Pit Maras|Lightning12Hr|FM|Outlaw|Steelman|ROF131Mi
GraemeH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dukeries in a couple of weeks for me - anyone else in. Then a return to Al Andalus in Spain in July Smile
Maca_Lad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ultra Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Maca_Lad wrote:
I've got a 12hr track race down in Crawley on Saturday. Just think of the panoramic views I'll have! Wink
flippin eck maca, we are chalk n cheese on this one. Good luck with that. Bet my race takes longer!!! Horrendous strong 'feels like minus 5' Northerly winds forecast FFS but it should be dry thank feck...

Entered track race just to give it a try, see what it's like, never know I might take to it.

I am still deciding whether to do Enduroman 100. I'll see how the 12hr track thing goes and make a decision.

The week after the track race I am doing the XNRG Pony Express. Maca_Lass is doing it too. It's a 2 dayer, 30 miles each day, darn in the 'pancake flat' New Forest. I'm hoping I'll be in good form for it, albeit slightly fatigued from recent stuff.

The Dukeries is a nice race. Doubt I can make it this year, but I'll be back somewhen.

Al Andalus, hasn't swimdunce done that one?

There is a race in spain just outside Madrid called the Gran Trail de Panalara, about 63miles, I want to do it. Maybe for 2014.

Btw, I've come up with a lovely off road 26 mile run route around where I live. I am approaching the local school to see if they want to organize an off road Mara to raise money for the school. Let's see what happens Wink
johnnyff102

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a new event called the Equinox24 on 21st/22nd September based at Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire.

12hrs day and 12hrs night, well worth a look.

Free camping, music, trade stalls etc.

www.racetime-events.co.uk
www.equinox24.co.uk
www.facebook.com/racetimeevents
www.facebook.com/equinox24
www.twitter.com/racetimeevents
www.twitter.com/equinox24run
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a proper ultra / fell runner after adding a decent FellsMan to my CV. Is that the ultimate hard core event?

How hilly is the Lakeland 100? I gather you can do that in road shoes tho.

The thing with The FellsMan is, altho its 'only' 61 miles, it's not just the 11,000 feet of climbing but the terrain thats the challenge. Lots of open tussocky moorland, navigation out in the complete wilds (Fleet Moss!), and with it being earlier in the year than the tothers, it can still be very boggy in places. Complete minefield basically. I've never suffered with frozen wet feet before until this race.
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
smitters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
I feel like a proper ultra / fell runner after adding a decent FellsMan to my CV. Is that the ultimate hard core event?

Top work. The route description is fearsome and I can't imagine what non-footpath based racing is like. How did you find the grouping aspect as I've heard both good and bad (and connivingly tactical) things about it.
Toyota_Crown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We arrived and left as an evenly bunched group of four, so there were no issues, or tactics to be connived at, tho yes, I am becoming aware of the pro's n cons you could connive at Wink all part of the race i spose!!
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
markie r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:

7000m Very Happy

yeah you can do it in road shoes as there's a fair bit on good tracks and paths. there's also a fair bit on shyte paths too though. you've also got to run through the night which slows everybody down to varying degrees and messes with most peoples nutrition, and even though it's on paths, it's still dead easy to get lost when it's pitch black, foggy raining and your all on your own in the lakes. and it's 43 miles further, which isn't like runing 43 miles, it's like running 43 miles after you've ran 61 already. not that i'd know as i've dnf'd twice, but suffice to say 40 miles seems like a long way to go when you've done 66 and been on the go for 14 hours through the night.
smitters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it worked well. I was suspicious of grouping but am sure I wouldn't have finished with such a good time left to my own devices on the Longmynd 50. There's something quite motivating about working with complete strangers. That said I dropped out of my first grouping as they were going too fast. I do believe only one of their gang ended up finishing though, so you takes your choice I suppose.

That said, in the same event the front runners basically race until grouped and whoever gets to the grouping point first essentially has won since they don't race for long enough to ungroup in the morning.
Internal Cake Engine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this grouping thing of which you speak? Just informal groups or is there something official going on?
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:

The thing with The FellsMan is, altho its 'only' 61 miles, it's not just the 11,000 feet of climbing but the terrain thats the challenge. Lots of open tussocky moorland, navigation out in the complete wilds (Fleet Moss!), and with it being earlier in the year than the tothers, it can still be very boggy in places. Complete minefield basically. I've never suffered with frozen wet feet before until this race.

Top Cat TC Laughing

good man
markie r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padding wrote:
What is this grouping thing of which you speak? Just informal groups or is there something official going on?

nearly always informal, you kind of spread out over the first 5 or 10 miles or so of a race and then end up moving at roughly the same speed as other competitors, so form little groups. if they are a bit too quick, you get left behind, and if too slow you leave them or they hold you up. they come into their own if a) you can't map read, b) you get lonely easily, c) you running through the night or d) there are fit burds racing.
Swimmingdunce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padding wrote:

In the Fellsman, it's an official thing. If you arrive at a roadside checkpoint after 7pm, then you have to make a group of at least 4, and stick together. The officials make a note of who is in the group and if one person breaks the group, the whole group gets disqualified. It can lead to tensions when one or two are feeling strong and somebody is tired - I've been in both situations.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 2 of 158

Jump to: