Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift, anyone from TT land on it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
ttowel wrote:
Seems that way, consistently coming down the order with highest power and highest w/kg but on a wattbike, the transition from flat to hills kills me. Both due to the momentum penalty, and the fact that I cannot sustain 10+ w/kg for long.

Is that a Wattbike at home or the gym? Just wondering how you connected to Zwift using the WB.

Does the Wattbike not Bluetooth to your tablet or phone?

I'm just wondering if I could Zwift in the gym, connecting it to my phone/app. I assume I'd need to use 4G/data though.

If the gym doesn't have wifi then yes, you would need to use 4G/data.

There was a guy using a Wattbike at my gym a few weeks ago who appeared to be playing on-line poker while he was pedalling Shocked His effort levels on the bike seemed quite erratic Wink
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
TriSam wrote:
I did the Zwift "Long FTP Test" last night and got a new PB for the 20 minute test by over 15W. Not sure I 100% believe the result, so will do a couple of test sessions with the new FTP numbers, but a good sign that things are going in the right direction.

What don't you believe, the power meter/trainer?

I've been using the same power2max for all my rides, indoors and outdoors and this ride seems to have been a bit of a jump in performance compared to my training.

I've been working off an FTP of 290W for a while, and the recent test result gave me an FTP of 307W. Not too big to be unbelievable entirely, but a ~6% jump is quite substantial
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:

I've been working off an FTP of 290W for a while, and the recent test result gave me an FTP of 307W. Not too big to be unbelievable entirely, but a ~6% jump is quite substantial

Has your P2M had the temperature compensation 'remap' (assuming it's one of the older Classic models).
ttowel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is at home, the wattbike has bluetooth and links straight to laptop or via the old 310xt garmin dongle.

Works fine on both, but need to re-pair BT every time i use it.

Will work in a gym with wifi, but you might not get the companion app to work if using 2 devices on an open network.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone doing Zwift Tour of Watopia April 2 to May 26

https://zwiftinsider.com/tour-of-watopia-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1xph81tLuL2qVFp2a-kpHZYlhMSkHvPoxrEZgMaVpipZV12IaA-3P87G4
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Flat 2 lap race in NY, Raced with "B" group, despite nominally 3.2-3.9w/kg, my average was 4.1w/kg. I stuck with the lead group of 10, flats were fine, but surges on the short up hills were insane, I am convinced that this is how the experienced Zwifters break the groups, once on the flat the effort drops enough to catch your breath, however, on one hill I did drop 1s off the back and had to work like mad for 30s to get back on the peloton, luckily I had a drafting bonus to give me a short recovery when I was back on

As usual I couldn't hold the sprinters in the last 200m, but a 6th place finish is OK. Even though my w/kg were the highest in the lead group, my max 30s was only 600w compared with over 1000w for the top 3 who sprinted the finish

Bit worried that ZwiftPower is going to move me to "A" as last 2 races have been over 4w/kg - I am only just hanging with the "B"s at the moment

23km, 39m54s, 292W AP 300W NP

Seems that way, consistently coming down the order with highest power and highest w/kg but on a wattbike, the transition from flat to hills kills me. Both due to the momentum penalty, and the fact that I cannot sustain 10+ w/kg for long.

The Innsbruck circuit is a killer for me. Managed to break away on a final lap, get 10 seconds to see it all evaporate at the hill when riders are 10-12 w/kg. Can hang on for the sprint but come nowhere. Best chance for me is to attack with 5k to go and need about 330w plus to stay ahead.

Maybe it is the nature of being a triathlete, but my 15s and 1m power is well down on all of those ahead of me, my 5 min power I am in the top 3 and 20min power I am top. I would like to race on the Alpe Du Zwift to see if the ability to hold a constant power is a greater benefit
TriSam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
TriSam wrote:

Has your P2M had the temperature compensation 'remap' (assuming it's one of the older Classic models).

Good question. I'm not sure! I believe I bought it after this issue was solved, is there a page anywhere I can find more info out?
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
TriSam wrote:

Good question. I'm not sure! I believe I bought it after this issue was solved, is there a page anywhere I can find more info out?

Didnt temperature compensation get included from models released since 2012? I bought my classic in 2014 and it was the new firmware (never had to change it or update anything)

Do you track your zero offset number, even informally? I know for example that my classic will normally read about 964, whereas my Type S will read about 1022. DCR always says it's worth making a mental note of these, as if they suddenly shift then that can be an early warning that something's going awry with the hardware.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT Sport 1 now British Cycling Championship on Zwift.

Last edited by JaRok2300 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
BT Sport 1 now ZZ British Cycling Championship on Zwift.

Haha, just came here to post the same thing!
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not grabbing me. I think it would be better if they showed a bit more of the riders in the studio. You get no perception of the effort from the Zwift screen.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I felt the exact opposite! I felt really motivated to give zwift a go!
I actually thought they did quite well with the picture in picture of the riders faces on screen. With the metrics on screen, etc, it was pretty interesting.

Certainly some zwift specific aspects to the gaming side. Learning about power ups was interesting (altho not sure how you then activate them?), and there certainly seems to be an element of knowing the course. I couldn't quite figure out how you can tell everything about the course with the data on screen etc (the commentators seemed to be picking up more data than I could perceive), but I was quite impressed by the interactivity of zwift.

In all honesty, having something like this on live TV is exactly the kind of thing that might incentivise me to give it a go at some point.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably a lost cause as it's never appealed to me so this wasn't likely to produce an epiphany.
I think a roving reporter and camera in the studio moving between the riders and maybe even grabbing a few words (on the easier sections) would have combined well with the main view.
The power ups and the like are exactly what turns me off, I'm a bit of a purist (or old curmudgeon) and just think that detracts from the best rider winning. I have the same issue with Formula E and even Formula 1 with the DRS compared to Moto GP for example.

Last edited by JaRok2300 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Power ups are pretty useful, they give a 30 second benefit, the feather reduces rider weight by 7kg, the van provides the draft effect of a Van, so long as you are riding in the draft of another rider, the helmet reduces CDA by 25%

I use the Van to give me a 30 second recovery, which I really need if I have worked hard to get back onto the pack, the feather I think that zwifters use to break the pack on short climbs, the helmet is great on the final sprint or trying to beak the pack on a downhill section

You will see the power up displayed on the top centre/left of the screen, it is enabled either by tapping it with a touch screen, or hitting spacebar or by tapping it in the companion app (which is also great to use while riding/racing on Zwift)
Wheezy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after following this thread for a while I decided to sign up to Zwift last night. Genuine coincidence that the racing on BT Sport was on; honest! I had tried the demo version a few weeks ago and was a bit 'meh' about it, but thought I might as well give it a go, even though I know that Trainerroad has worked really well for me in the past. But I'm struggling a little with motivation at the moment so I thought something new to play with might get me fired up a bit. I'll have both up until IMCH then decide which to ditch.

I can see how it completely sucks you in. I haven't got a full smart trainer so not as 'real world' as it can be, but even so, it was quite enjoyable and my hour seemed to go by pretty quickly. Might give a race a go next week.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: