Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
TrainerRoad.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="gingerbongo"]
Wheezy wrote:
TBH mate, not sure that after the injury you’ve had, I’d be attempting a hilly race in 9 weeks’ time at all.[/quote

What plan will see me fit and healthy and not totally carp when i start running again; regardless of whether i race or not. I'm realistically only going to get out 3 times a week, so was thinking the low volume sweetspot base one??

That’s probably what I’d do in your shoes. Just don’t do any of the leg drills / force drills that they sometimes include. Sweetspot sessions would be safer, and I guess if you focus on higher cadence rather then force that might help your running fitness to not deteriorate too much?
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm due to test FTP again soon and want to do the ramp test that TR are doing, without signing back up for it.

Does anyone know the protocol? I know they take 75% of your final minute power, but where does it start and how does it ramp? It is 10w per minute? 15w per minute? What % does it start etc?

I know I can re-start my account but wanted to ask before I pay £12 just to test.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warm up is 5 mins @ 46% it then adds 6% every minute and keeps going indefinitely until you stop.

I have no idea how they work out the FTP based on this though.

TBH I don't like it!

I don't think it can be accurate and more importantly, I always test low Laughing

It might be good for newbies who cannot pace but for me, I much prefer the 8/20min traditional tests.

And when I say prefer I mean as a result. The ramp is undoubtedly a lot easier than 8/20mins above your FTP!
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Warm up is 5 mins @ 46% it then adds 6% every minute and keeps going indefinitely until you stop.

I have no idea how they work out the FTP based on this though.

TBH I don't like it!

I don't think it can be accurate and more importantly, I always test low Laughing

It might be good for newbies who cannot pace but for me, I much prefer the 8/20min traditional tests.

And when I say prefer I mean as a result. The ramp is undoubtedly a lot easier than 8/20mins above your FTP!

Thanks very much for the details. Smile

20 min tests ruin me. I've finally learned how to pace one and I hate them, I'm sure everyone does. I have to mentally prepare for days!

I'm going to try the ramp test tomorrow. Just starting a Zwift training plan for 6 weeks so will to this now and in 6 weeks. I've a pretty good idea of where I am today so will see if it comes out the same.
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramp test done.
Managed to squeeze a the last minute out at 349w, giving a 262w FTP.

I was expecting to come out close to 255w, but mavbe I don't test well over 20 minutes? I'll see how the next week's training goes and maybe re-adjust down.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the ramp test has given me a consistently higher value than the old 8 minute test I used to do. Great for the ego but not so great when you're trying to complete the subsequent sessions. Mad
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my ego is well and truly battered either way with my paltry watts. I've got plenty of excuses, i mean reasons though! Did i mention i only weight 35kg, so w/kg is still pretty high Very Happy
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my 262 is probably high and my 250-255 expectation was probably realistic.

Should be a fun week finding out Very Happy
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly feel that I Score low on the ramp test. I have an uncanny ability to hurt for 8 mins, but 20 I score low two so maybe it's actually I score high on the 8 min.

But when I do I find the resulting workouts hard but doable, whereas on the ramp test I am constantly finding the Workouts east and hence adjusting on the fly.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thikn mine is just about right. I picked a session last night - Cartwright - and it was right on the cusp of 'i hate this and i want to stop' and completing the whole session on target. After the first of 4 sets i never thought i'd complete it, but it seemed to have been pitched perfectly. Legs were battered at the end.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-signed up to this to ensure I got the grandfather pricing that expired last night, $99 for the year so works out nice and cheap per month.

Want to hit it hard over the winter but not really sure where to start as there is soooo much choice on there Confused Confused
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweetspot base.

Traditional base is very long and boring.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
sweetspot base.

Traditional base is very long and boring.
Ta much, will check it out Smile
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to the end of Sweetspot base - low volume 1. I'm not going to move onto the second phase of sweetspot base but instead repeat 1. I haven't done many of the 90 minute sessions so I'm going to focus on those from next week, with a second 60minute session. Not going to do the ramp test as I feel I've maintained, rather than increased ftp.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i'm gonna give the sweet spot base mid volume one a go, should be able to manage the 5 sessions a week without too much bother, not looking forward to the ramp test mind you!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 66 of 67

Jump to: