Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training Peaks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
stenard wrote:
You can't do a 1hr run for 200 TSS? Something is wrong with your zones. I think running is a little bit more, but the general principle of 100 TSS/hr being the max still loosely applies.

For reference, my 2hr15 run yesterday, with >17k at Target MP+10s/km in the middle, accrued me 200 TSS precisely.

What TSS score is training peaks outputting (on the website): TSS, hrTSS or rTSS? That will help determine which zones are causing the problem.

There are 3 options
TSS = 200
rTSS = 90
hrTSS = 63

Unless you have a running power meter like stryd, then TSS for running is meaningless (it is actually what I use). rTSS is the TP next level accuracy option, but requires your "running pace zones" to be accurate. I dont like this metric - I'm not sure how it can be the "next best". I use hrTSS when I don't wear my stryd - I generally get reasonable correlation between TSS and hrTSS. For example, yesterday's run that I mentioned was 200 TSS and 192 hrTSS.

12k easy, with some strides, is usually about 70 TSS for me. So in the same ballpark as your hrTSS value.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
stenard wrote:
You can't do a 1hr run for 200 TSS? Something is wrong with your zones. I think running is a little bit more, but the general principle of 100 TSS/hr being the max still loosely applies.

For reference, my 2hr15 run yesterday, with >17k at Target MP+10s/km in the middle, accrued me 200 TSS precisely.

What TSS score is training peaks outputting (on the website): TSS, hrTSS or rTSS? That will help determine which zones are causing the problem.

There are 3 options
TSS = 200
rTSS = 90
hrTSS = 63

Unless you have a running power meter like stryd, then TSS for running is meaningless (it is actually what I use). rTSS is the TP next level accuracy option, but requires your "running pace zones" to be accurate. I dont like this metric - I'm not sure how it can be the "next best". I use hrTSS when I don't wear my stryd - I generally get reasonable correlation between TSS and hrTSS. For example, yesterday's run that I mentioned was 200 TSS and 192 hrTSS.

12k easy, with some strides, is usually about 70 TSS for me. So in the same ballpark as your hrTSS value.

You solved it: I use my garmin to calculate running power, and I can see in Garmin connect that my Threshold is around 500w. However there was no running power in TP, so it was using the default, which is 270W cycling power. so when I did my run today @370w TP assumed that it was massively above my threshold
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
You solved it: I use my garmin to calculate running power, and I can see in Garmin connect that my Threshold is around 500w. However there was no running power in TP, so it was using the default, which is 270W cycling power. so when I did my run today @370w TP assumed that it was massively above my threshold

In which case, I'd suggest you go back through all the running activities that have a running power score, and manually select hrTSS or correct TSS somehow. Or at least check the numbers make sense.

When I first started using Training Peaks when I began coaching, the automated import did not like running power for some reason, and despite having set a running FTP, it still worked it all out off cycling FTP. As with you, my running power numbers are a lot higher than my cycling ones, so it was overstating TSS substantially. The sad bit was having all those PMC numbers plummet!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

In which case, I'd suggest you go back through all the running activities that have a running power score, and manually select hrTSS or correct TSS somehow. Or at least check the numbers make sense.

When I first started using Training Peaks when I began coaching, the automated import did not like running power for some reason, and despite having set a running FTP, it still worked it all out off cycling FTP. As with you, my running power numbers are a lot higher than my cycling ones, so it was overstating TSS substantially. The sad bit was having all those PMC numbers plummet!

All fixed and recalculated. I am no longer in a hole, however, my CTL is now a chunk lower
Poet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
All fixed and recalculated. I am no longer in a hole, however, my CTL is now a chunk lower

YAY! How much lower?
What's the TSB gone up to?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: