Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Nice 70.3 (2019) WC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, I've just commented on your Strava upload.

Sounds like you've had a good race, splits seemed good.

3:29 for 70.3 is crazy though.

How many so far then? Time for a list yet?

Jeff
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
See you there everyone! Just got my medallion at Bahrain!

Well done. Hopefully will see you there if I get myself sorted out and put in a decent early season race

Oman could be a possibility
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
Great stuff, I've just commented on your Strava upload.

Sounds like you've had a good race, splits seemed good.

3:29 for 70.3 is crazy though.

How many so far then? Time for a list yet?

Jeff

mattsurf wrote:

Well done. Hopefully will see you there if I get myself sorted out and put in a decent early season race

Oman could be a possibility

Thanks Jeff and Matt. Just got into the office back in London after an overnight return flight Yawn Not what I originally had planned, but just as I went to book flights, the other days shot up in price meaning last night was the economical option in premium economy.

Loved the race. It's definitely a super fast one. The first hour was c41kph off only 203 AP (209 NP). Tailwind helped there for sure, but even coming back into the wind I averaged 36kph. Probably did begin to fatigue a little, as I was in the mid 190's wattage wise on the return. There were a few more twists in that section though, with some sharper corners into and out of the F1 track, plus some relatively sharp turns on the track itself. All the rest was the fast lane of the 3-4 lane highway. Overall I did 198 AP / 203 NP for pretty much bang on 2:20. Averaged 38kph, which I think is the fastest I've ever done in a race, including sprints!

Felt I swam well, but the final turn to home was straight into the rising sun. Couldn't pick the swim exit at all, and ended up swimming a bit extra there. Thought I was going to finish under 30mins, but did about 30s over. Official time has me at 31mins. Probably the only slightly annoying bit ... race briefing said the timing mat would be on the final step of the staircase into the water, so to take your time going down before starting the race. That can't have been the case, so I wasted time there thinking I was being sensible and cautious.

Run was flat, but could definitely feel the wind. The long headwind stretches were the only time my average pace slipped above 4:45/km, on laps 2 and 3. Most of the rest of the time I was on about 90mins pace. The pace splits on the Ironman app are completely inaccurate by the way! It certainly started to get fairly hot by the final lap, and on the highway there was no shade at all. The ice soaked sponges were nice, but they were already running out of water at some aid stations when I was still running. I hope they managed to restock for the sake of the later finishers.

I've read the thread on ST and they're saying no wind at all helped the new WR by Kristian. I wouldn't agree with that. I felt there was quite a significant directional wind, although maybe it was just a bit lighter than normal.

Had a fun awards ceremony, as I randomly sat down on the Norwegian table without realising. Ended up having some lengthy chats with Kristian and Gustav. Casper was on the table too, but he left earlier than the others. They're all really nice guys. Given their ages, they have so much potential.

I'll hopefully get the full race write up done this week. Already did a chunk at the airport last night, but had to try and sleep on the flight itself!
FrankieS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 in from Bahrain, got my confirmation email last night and registered this morning so it's all seeming a bit real now! Looks like I'm going to need to learn to go fast on hills Blank Stare
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankieS wrote:
+1 in from Bahrain, got my confirmation email last night and registered this morning so it's all seeming a bit real now! Looks like I'm going to need to learn to go fast on hills Blank Stare

Ditto on the hills. Bahrain played to my strength ... Nice, not so much. It's definitely a case of just getting there for me!

I was in awe of your time, and then realised you're Pro! Great racing!
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Quality, well done! What were your splits to qualify and what AG are you?
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankieS wrote:

Well done too!
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
stenard wrote:

Thanks.
0:31/2:20/1:32 for 4:28 overall
M30-34

I got a bit lucky, as my AG was definitely slightly weaker than others. I would have only finished 16th in M25-29 and 27th in M35-39. It was definitely a fast day. Last year, my time would have had me 42nd overall including both M and F Pros. This year I was 90th.
FrankieS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! (this is going to be a pun-tastic event, I can tell already) And thanks for the well dones Smile

I got pretty lucky too, hadn't realised 2 of the 3 ahead of me already had slots. Wasn't sure about this slots-instead-of-points malarkey for pros but it turns out to have its upsides Very Happy

stenard wrote:
TriSam wrote:
stenard wrote:

Thanks.
0:31/2:20/1:32 for 4:28 overall
M30-34

I got a bit lucky, as my AG was definitely slightly weaker than others. I would have only finished 16th in M25-29 and 27th in M35-39. It was definitely a fast day. Last year, my time would have had me 42nd overall including both M and F Pros. This year I was 90th.

JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankieS wrote:

Well done, I'm sure you won't struggle on the hills, and plenty of time to get some practice in.

Jeff
crumpy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top results, Stenard and FrankieS.

Just had a look at the course for the first time. All the about the bike, eh. Basically 35km climb!?
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:

Just had a look at the course for the first time. All the about the bike, eh. Basically 35km climb!?

Yep, anyone for Alpe d'Huez tri as a training camp Smile

Jeff
FrankieS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crumpy wrote:

Thanks Very Happy and yeah....... the 35km of descent is what bothers me more :-/
crumpy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankieS wrote:
crumpy wrote:

Thanks Very Happy and yeah....... the 35km of descent is what bothers me more :-/

True. If it is wet, will be truly sketchy. I can imagine whatever the conditions, there will be plenty flying past me on the way down. That's why I definitely intend to descend it on the Thurs and / or Friday before the race!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That descent will be sketchy regardless.

Issue with the 70.3 Worlds is that the race is done by AG waves. Your AG will spread out as normal, but you'll have uber-bikers from waves behind flying past and you'll be catching slower riders from earlier waves.

With 3 speeds of rider you need your wits about you taking lines into corners etc when descending - I found this coming down Lookout at Chattanooga last year and that's nothing like as long/technical as this could be.

I was M50-54 and we had M25-29 starting 12 min behind us.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: