Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Staffs 70.3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mossimus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Staffs 70.3 Reply with quote

Hi. How much of a PITA is the split transition for someone turning up by themselves. Presume some sort of transport is laid on?

Would Stafford or Cannock be best place to stay?
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are plenty of opposite views but it is the worst event I've ever done, albeit I did the 1st year so it is probably better now. The transitions were way too far apart and too hard to get in and out of, the swim entry was so narrow that they couldn't get everyone in the water on time.

The morning buses were ok for us but stories of lots of competitors late for the swim because buses were full of spectators.

Positives - The course is a good, honest, challenging course.

There is a good chance they have sorted all the negatives, but I'm definitely not chancing it for £300 though.

Last edited by PCP on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
I'm sure there are plenty of opposite views but it is the worst even I've ever done, albeit I did the 1st year so it is probably better now. The transitions were way too far apart and too hard to get in and out of, the swim entry was so narrow that they couldn't get everyone in the water on time.

The morning buses were ok for us but stories of lots of competitors late for the swim because buses were full of spectators.

Positives - The course is a good, honest, challenging course.

There is a good chance they have sorted all the negatives, but I'm definitely not chancing it for £300 though.

I did the second year and thought it was terrible, far worse than any of the independent events I have done in terms of organisation
charlton89

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've signed up to 2019 so will see what it's like. I'm hoping they change run course again as last year's looked terrible. Constantly turning corners
Blueisthecolour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it this year. While I'm not keen on split transitions everything ran smoothly.
gaz147

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it in the first year. It's a while ago now so all I remember is that getting your bags back at the end was a nightmare (a bit like queuing up at the bar and trying to get served with hundreds of others trying to do the same thing) and spending the entire Saturday trying to get registered / racked and in and out and between the various locations. For me it was a lot of logistical hurdles that you don't have at other races so I've not bothered since.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlton89 wrote:
I've signed up to 2019 so will see what it's like. I'm hoping they change run course again as last year's looked terrible. Constantly turning corners

I don't see IM Wales in your future! Very Happy
snowie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it first year it was run& something’s such as shuttle buses & bag collection were a complete fcukup.
Did it 2nd year & it was much better
Doing it again next year, it’s a good course with good support

Split transistors are always a pain but easily sorted
mossimus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split opinions then, well have entered now and hotel booked in Stafford. Will try and persuade OH to come with me to avoid transport issues.
snowie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossimus wrote:
Split opinions then, well have entered now and hotel booked in Stafford. Will try and persuade OH to come with me to avoid transport issues.

With the road closures OH may find it difficult to get around ( but not impossible).
A map is often better than sat nav

The shuttle buses take athletes first & spectators later.
pip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done this twice. The split transition is a PITA but worth it, IMO. I was registering quite late on Saturday, i took my 7 year old with me (not a good idea as they are not allowed into transition so i had a 7 year old hanging around on her own outside), i faffed around lots and it took ages. If i did it again (i would do it again btw as i like the race), i would
- register early on sat
- prepare a list of everything i need in each transition bag instead of faffing
- bring tyre levers instead of having to beg a mechanic to sell me some (!), see above note about faffing
- if i had someone with me, get them to take me to the swim start and then they could drive to stafford to meet me at the finish
- stay in stafford, the area around the swim is, erm..., well not sure how many hotels there are there

A few more notes
- i swim quite well (35 mins) but am a slower cyclist. I am also quite experienced but i was sh*tting myself a bit at the start of the bike course. People were riding like idiots, coming really close and cutting people up. The roads are quite narrow. Once you are off the first bit, its fine.
- Great support around the course and a really enjoyable race IMO
tin pot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the transitions are fine.

I also had my first and best performance there. Watch out on the lanes at the start of the bike course though, unless it’s changed there are some unexpectedly sharp turn early doors.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10K ‘18 50:31 '16 54:01 '13 54:46
blindcider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin pot wrote:
I think the transitions are fine.

I also had my first and best performance there. Watch out on the lanes at the start of the bike course though, unless it’s changed there are some unexpectedly sharp turn early doors.

Unless they have changed the course there is a particularly evil turn right onto a pretty steep climb early on that you can't see until almost on it leaving little chance to get in the right gear.
Foggo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear they have put on shuttle buses on race morning from Stafford centre to the race start, is that right? Are they ok & reliable?
Or would I be better to drive to the start in the morning & collect the car after the race? Is it a hassle and difficult to get back to the start area car parks after the race via shuttle buses?

Finally, whats the bike course like, is it a fairly fast course?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: