Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
2015 IRONMAN UK (Bolton, Lancashire) - Official Race Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUst want to Congratulate my mate Dan Cobby and cycling buddy for coming 8th Overall at Bolton..... Top Performance, Top Bloke......
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
Is it just me, but looking at the results 80th-180th was it much more competitive this year?

Maybe more and more people are starting to pick up on the "rumour" that Bolton is a soft Qualifier ?

I don't want to comment on the truth of that as I think that's disrespectful to anyone who has qualified. But that's pretty irrelevant. as long as the rumour persists it is surely will start to draw in more and more hopefuls ?
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it is, less so now probably. so folks are dumb if they haven't picked up on it before.
Feck I Shocked nearly qualified* at Wales last year Disbelief
*would have turned it down mind but still Cool
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
warren226k

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
warren226k wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
shaggy's wrote:
according to my Garmin the run was long, oh well.
are you sure? it would be a world first for IMUK, or probably any MDot - it's been historically short, sometimes comically so. e.g. 2011.:

My distances - Bike - 180.25 (Garmin), 180.9 (Strava). Run - 42.84

2nd AG 69th Overall 01:09:47 05:44:07 03:33:03 10:35:22 Congrats on 2nd AG m8ey Thumbs Up Ask me for some tips on the run tho Razz Scorchin bike!

Cheers TC, I actually took your tip to walk up the hills - was that a bum steer to sabotage the opposition?!?! Actually, think it's wise if you really stride - allows a stretch, uses slightly different muscle groups, a chance to get some really deep breaths and lower heart rate, get some grub in and give the central governor a bit of respite. Was 9 mins down on leader at half way - closed to 1'40" by the end so the walking didn't hamper my pacing.
ironchimp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
Is it just me, but looking at the results 80th-180th was it much more competitive this year?

Maybe more and more people are starting to pick up on the "rumour" that Bolton is a soft Qualifier ?

I don't want to comment on the truth of that as I think that's disrespectful to anyone who has qualified. But that's pretty irrelevant. as long as the rumour persists it is surely will start to draw in more and more hopefuls ?

I'm sure TRO Saracen would love to hear more about that rumour!

Don't worry, the 'rumour' that IMUK is soft compared with, say, Germany, has been around since it's Sherborne days.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warren226k wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
warren226k wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
shaggy's wrote:
are you sure? it would be a world first for IMUK, or probably any MDot - it's been historically short, sometimes comically so. e.g. 2011.:

2nd AG 69th Overall 01:09:47 05:44:07 03:33:03 10:35:22 Congrats on 2nd AG m8ey Thumbs Up Ask me for some tips on the run tho Razz Scorchin bike!

Cheers TC, I actually took your tip to walk up the hills - was that a bum steer to sabotage the opposition?!?! Actually, think it's wise if you really stride - allows a stretch, uses slightly different muscle groups, a chance to get some really deep breaths and lower heart rate, get some grub in and give the central governor a bit of respite. Was 9 mins down on leader at half way - closed to 1'40" by the end so the walking didn't hamper my pacing.
100% not a bum steer Disbelief You've just felt the benefits. No brainer with such a steep hill out of town. Minimal time lost. Huge mojo recouped. You run the rest of it quicker. The real bonus is that you are much less likely to fade on the later laps. End result = quicker run split, and with less risk of blowing right up to a fecked shuffle.
Also, even if you did the same time as if you hadnt POWERwalked some hills, my way is much more enjoyable than a consistent plod/grind, as well as much less risky. At IM or ultra, PowerWalk / Run strategy RULES!! Cool Its plain dumb not to! IMO/experience obviously.

I'm still learning after 100 IMS FFS. At The Bastion the week before it's quite undulating and I cruised Run Lap 1 thinking there is no feckin way I could go slower. Albeit only a minute or two, I did Exclamation on later laps. So I cruised even steadier right from the start at Bolton. Result = my fastest MDot run slip Very Happy
And it's not like I'm getting any younger or fresher Rolling Eyes

anyone else doing Outlaw on Sun? Crazy
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr ME wrote:
Right, where do I start? I need to get this down while it’s still in my mind. This might be a long one…

I reached the red carpet and turned left instead of heading out for another loop and had that experience where I felt I could have run a 100m PB. I leapt over the line in 9.57.52.

I was just totally bewildered and strangely I felt great physically. The first time that happened was when I ran a sub 3 hr marathon. Since then I’ve felt certain that achieving a goal and feeling good psychologically mitigates the physical discomfort that comes after marathons and Ironman.

My wife hadn’t managed to get the athlete tracker thing working on her phone so she wasn’t sure of my placing and I knew because of the rolling start that the results might change a bit for the next 10 mins. I settled down to have the free massage and was still reeling from going sub 10. Even at this point I knew there must be a good chance that I’d got a slot but was in too much of a daze to really grasp it.

10 mins later I grabbed my bag, some pizza and cake and took out my phone. The results said i’d come 19th overall and 4th in my AG. I knew then that I was almost certain that I’d qualified.

The 36 hours since then have been a whir of events and emotions. Seeing my wife and family and being able to share my unbridled excitement with them has been great.

The awards ceremony was a new experience too - one of the slots in the M50-54? Category rolled to something crazy like 20th place and seeing the disbelief and tears of the guy who finally got it was something I’ll never forget.

I’ve said this before in previous posts but in many ways I’ve never really considered myself to be a ‘proper triathlete’. I’ve never been a member of a club partly because most of my training is done at unsiocial hours in order to fit around family time. In many ways it’s this forum that is my version of a club and its certainly this forum that has provided the belief, motivation and knowledge that has helped along the way. In particular the qualification reports written by Dan the Man in 2012, Funkin’ in 2013, and Nobbie’s report following his qualification at Frankfurt in 2013 have all been of real significance in helping me to find my way towards qualification this year. I’ve never met any of you but you’ve all been hugely influential in my training and my approach to attempting to qualify.
It’s mid July now and there’s no Kona 2015 thread emerged yet. Surely others must have qualified – maybe others take it in their stride but my levels of excitement and anticipation are like nothing I’ve experienced since getting married and having children. I may even have to start the thread myself!

It’s not yet been 48 hours but the reality of the expense of going to Hawaii is certainly starting to hit home. Like others I’m justifying my begging, borrowing and stealing on the basis that this will be a once in a life time thing for me. I’ll still do some triathlon and may even race Wales next year (they agreed that if I qualified for Kona at Bolton that I could defer my pace till next year). I’d like to have a crack at Alpe D’uez at some point too but this is probably the end of the line for me in terms of the competitive end of things. There are other things I want to turn my attention to post October.

Phil T, I had my fingers crossed for you at rolldown, hopefully you and TRO Saracen will get amongst it at Wales. I’ll keep my eye on that thread.

That was a great report. Congrats on your KQ and sub 10. Enjoy Hawaii Smile It's gonna be expensive this late in the year!
trimart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone post a link to all age group kona qualifiers please?
warren226k

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:
warren226k wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
warren226k wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
shaggy's wrote:

100% not a bum steer Disbelief You've just felt the benefits. No brainer with such a steep hill out of town. Minimal time lost. Huge mojo recouped. You run the rest of it quicker. The real bonus is that you are much less likely to fade on the later laps. End result = quicker run split, and with less risk of blowing right up to a fecked shuffle.
Also, even if you did the same time as if you hadnt POWERwalked some hills, my way is much more enjoyable than a consistent plod/grind, as well as much less risky. At IM or ultra, PowerWalk / Run strategy RULES!! Cool Its plain dumb not to! IMO/experience obviously.

:

Was only kidding TC - I always walk uphills if they're over 7-8% - I walked the hill up from the canal, the hill back up to Chorley New Road and that little blighter as you turned hard left after coming under the bridge coming back into town.

Anyway, what do you know about pacing?!? I see your splits on the uphill part of the loop from the timing mat at the Town Hall (lowest point) to the turn at the top of Chorley New Road were 23'23", 23'35", 23'25" - even I am pretty impressed by that (btw mine were 23'26, 24'16", 23'30 - good finish but too much of a drop off on lap 2).
Toyota_Crown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two Poo FFS in town at end of the first and third downward occasions. So it wasnt a run-walk strategy but a run-poo Laughing
teach me to get up earlier and get sufficiently 'abluted' in time. #novice

I took 3 or 4 10-15 sec walks along NCRoad too, more going up obviously. And the aid stations.
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
fruit thief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr ME for the link to your inspirational race report a few pages back
Mr ME

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Thanks Mr ME for the link to your inspirational race report a few pages back

No problem
If you're interested I managed to dig out the link for the follow up - the Kona report which may be even longer.

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98180&start=15

I've not read these for years but had another look through today. Nice to be reading about the old glory days!
Steelman
Ironman Wales
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piertown wrote:
Some cracking pics here https://www.flickr.com/photos/134471291@N07/sets/72157656028199896/with/19845503941/

Was just having a squizz through these after reading Mr ME's report again and about 3/4 of the way down the page is a young Lucy Charles in her first ever Ironman.

I didn't race in 2015 but was supporting and remember seeing her flying on the run. Who knew how good she would be?!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: