Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
UK OW swim locations
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smitters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: UK OW swim locations Reply with quote

Having just had an extremely pleasant Easter weekend in Lyme Regis, it struck me that it might be good to run a list of OW locations tritalkers regularly swim at. The sea was millpond flat on the Sunday and I rather wished I had my wetsuit and someone knowledgeable on the currents/tides/location.

I'm sure I can't be the only TTer who'd find this useful as the season goes on an people head off for half terms/summer hols etc?

Anyway, my local is Lake 32 in South Cerney, which is close to Cirencester, Gloucestershire. Feel free to PM me if you fancy a swim, provided you'll wait for me slow backside!

Edited to keep the list at the top:

So, we're now at:

Smitters, Didds & I Tri Too: Lake 32 in South Cerney, which is close to Cirencester, Gloucestershire - 2010 thread here - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67672

Doug: Liquid Leisure (Slough) & Princes Club (Bedfont)

Percula: West Bay/Lyme Regis/West Chesil Beach

Mudman: Tripoli

Marris: Canvey Island (by the Labworth Restaurant)

Bazep: Gosford (Essex)

Jay Clock & ineedanorigina: For those near Woking/Aldershot/Farnborough, try Camberley in Surrey, just to east of M3. http://www.trisportuk.org/swimming/OpenWaterSwimming.aspx - The Quays , Coleford Bridge Road, Mytchett, Camberley, GU16 6DS. Good 750m lap and they are working on other improvements that will make it better.

Whizzer Argyll on the West Coast of Scotland. Pictures of venues and OW events can be found here: http://www.midargyllcycleclub.co.uk/web/index.php?option=com_expose&Itemid=61

Newarktricky & Toyotacrown We swim with Lincoln Tri here: http://www.activities-away.com/downloads/Lincoln%20Adventure%20Centre.pdf Monday evenings from next week 6.15 onwards will be the dedicated club session but there will also be public swimming there on saturday mornings 10-12.

alymarlow There's a good new lake now open in Eastleigh, Hampshire. http://www.lakesidemultisports.co.uk/

dj eck Portobello beach in Edinburgh - Edinburgh Road Club have a session every Friday evening at 6.30-ish everyone welcome. You get to use the local baths for changing and showers. Water quality can be a bit iffy sometimes.

Gullane beach a little further east in East Lothian is even better - spectacular location.

Loads of lochs around the central belt and up into the highlands. No restrictions on any of them. Tay, Vennacher, Lomond (Glasgow Tri and Fusion use it), Lochore Meadows etc etc - spoilt for choice

Hammerer & UKIronman Leybourne. Lovely lake close to Maidstone. Kent junc 4 off M20. Run by UKIronman himself. Very clean, and even have ducks and swans for company. 550m loop and 1331m all round. Regular tris there run by Team Outrageous...just need to have an assessment before you can swim though...nothing too difficult though...local council rules! 3 laps is exactly 4km.

corustrisec For all you sea swimmers here's a link to a surf website given to me by a surf dude. http://magicseaweed.com/Aberavon-Surf-Report/30/tide/uk/. This links you to Aberavon but the locations around the UK are all there. We also swim at Resolven lakes in the Neath valley but only by appointment with owner who uses it for jet ski-ing.

tonyshoe7 Harlow/Sawbridgeworth http://www.redrickslakes.co.uk/directions.htm Good few like minded triathletes turned up, a massuer was there and they had a tea/burger van, showers and toilets. Hardly any reeds/weeds touching your feet, water clear'ish, was cold but to be expected, one lap = approx 750m.

Leedsarmy Marlow, Bucks. New OW venue Spring 2010. http://www.openwaterswimuk.co.uk/ Wetsuit hire available.

Trismart Ellesmere, Shropshire. http://trismart.org.uk/default.asp?page=11 Home of the Ellesmere Triathlon.

DRB Durham and Cleveland Tri clubs train at Ellerton Park lake near Scorton, South of Scotch Corner on the A1

richieo - though not suggested directly
Badger wrote:
BTW, smitters: just saw a post about The Delph Quarry as another venue ...

richieo wrote:
I have found out today that The delph Quarry Eccleston where we used to swim allows open water swimmers/ triathletes to swim any time 9-5 7 days a week with the quarry open late on Wednesday til 9,

HOWEVER..... the session is un coached one and as requires 2 swimmers in the water together for safety

the belly Bosworth Water Trust Leicestershire. Thursday evening 6.30pm til late, Saturdays 7am til 9am.

tripaul & gah Details are as follows (gah has not been down yet)

"At Tallington Lakes Leisure Park, near Stamford, we are currently offering Open Water Swimming sessions in one of our Lakes. It runs on Wednesday evenings from 5pm-8pm and people can turn up anytime during the session and swim for however long as they would like during this time. It is £5 per session or £40 for 10 sessions. Tallington Watersports - 01778 34 7000 www.tallington.com www.tallingtonlakesproshop.com" .

Tri Hamster Boundary Water Park (near Holmes Chapel) has OWS on Thursday nights from 1800 til dark. £5 a session, no charge for registration. Water is much clearer than last year and was 19C(!) last week. Check out Uberfits website for full details.

RiRi 8 Acre Divesite in North Cave - Thursday evenings 6 - 8 I think. Saturday mornings too 8-10. Barracudas and 3Xtri swim there, but it's an open session. £3. They prefer you not to swim alone though. I found out by accident at the weekend that you can swim at Allerthorpe Lakeland Park near Pocklington in Mondays 6-7pm £2. Open to all.

Burned Out Boy Manor Park Sailing Club (Kings Bromley, Staffordshire). Note - new times for Saturday swims: 1pm until 2:30pm. This will start on Saturday 19th June 2010. The Tuesday evening time will not change.

AndyA Three Sisters Waterski Lake at J24-25 Wigan. Stuctured, coached session every wednesday at 7.00 for £5. Been a couple of times and intend to go all summer if possible, it seems a v professional, well run setup. If anyone wants to lift share from Burnley area, please PM me (see separate thread - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69474).

2jackallison Taplow - Maidenhead - www.taplow-ows.co.uk and Princes - Bedfont - www.princesclub.com - Both hire out wetsuits, Princes lake is free for Orca, XTerra, Sailfish and Zone 3 and Taplow is free for the first time then a tenner every time after that for Orca, XTerra and Sailfish stuff, this is refundable on the price of a wetsuit however. Note - 2jackallison works at both.

Norsemandave Isle of Wight: Wight Tri swim on Monday nights at Sandown on the Isle of Wight. Meet at 19:30 for a sea swim any thing upto 1.5 hours and Friday nights at Totland Bay again at 19:30. Both venues can have very strong currents big swells and big waves but that (and I quote Norsemandave here) "adds to the fun."

surfingh2o Sevenoaks: Haysden Lake - Seven Oak Tri Club (650m and 850m - 7pm to dusk) http://www.7oakstriclub.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=197

murraymonster Skipton: Craven Energy Tri swim at Coniston Hall (7-8 miles north west of Skipton on A65), in the estate's lake on a Tuesday eve through summer AND run aquathlons there every now and again. Swim brief is at 6.30 for a start at 7pm. For more info http://www.cravenenergy.org/

Last edited by smitters on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:45 pm; edited 14 times in total
patriciaa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be very careful about the tides, the sea is much more dangerous than a lake or a pool. And learn about the currents, and back currents that can pull you out to the sea. the sea is about 14 degC now Very Happy
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of stories about undertows, back currents, drags etc in the sea and I know lots of people drown every year, but as far I can see they are all f*ckwits who can't swim (by swimmer I would say comfortably able to knock out 3 or more miles front crawl if you really had to) and shouldn't have been in over waist deep in the first place. Apart from some channel swimmer a few years ago who submerged with about a mile to go and was never seen again, does anyone actually know of any proper swimmers who have drowned whilst out for a swim in the sea? I know a lot more cyclist who happily go out in the wet, ice etc or on busy roads and come to grief. Plenty of OAPs swim at Brighton every day of the year, without a wetsuit, and they seem to manage OK, but go to the wrong beach and you get some public servant with a yellow T-shirt and a bronze medallion for doing 2 widths trying to tell you what you should and should not do.

Of course you should not take unnecessary risks and maybe swim in pairs or get someone to watch you ( also wear a bright hat, I usually take a little keyring toy egg with a deflated ring if I am heading out too far off-shore), but the biggest problems I ever encounter are people calling the coastguard or RNLI to come and rescue me even though I am happily stroking away a few hundred meters off shore. The main thing I have leared from this is not to stop and rest or enjoy the view for more than 30secs or someone watching will panic. I seldom bother with a wetsuit, but with one on I am not sure I could drown if I tried. The biggest danger is always some to$$er stealing your shoes/keys/clothes/towel/bike or breaking into you car while you are out pursuing a harmless activity. If we had a few more resources dedicated to preventing that then I would be a happy man.
doug

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swim at Liquid Leisure or Princes Club

There's a good list here:
http://www.tri247.com/article_6750_Open+Water+Venues+(2010).html
smitters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points from posters two and three, but what I was getting at was that I didn't want to get into the sea without a local, hence starting the list so if someone is in an area on holiday, or on business, they have the possibility to PM or ask advice.

So far we have:

Smitters: Lake 32 in South Cerney, which is close to Cirencester, Gloucestershire - 2010 thread here - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67672

Percula

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
There are lots of stories about undertows, back currents, drags etc in the sea and I know lots of people drown every year, but as far I can see they are all f*ckwits who can't swim and shouldn't have been in over waist deep in the first place.

but go to the wrong beach and you get some public servant with a yellow T-shirt and a bronze medallion for doing 2 widths trying to tell you what you should and should not do.

The biggest danger is always some to$$er stealing your shoes/keys/clothes/towel/bike or breaking into you car while you are out pursuing a harmless activity.

Fantastic way to put it, thats really cheered my lunchtime up that has Laughing

Next time your in Lyme give us a PM I'm just up the road by WestBay I'll swim with you and most likly bring a couple others as well.

The Chesil ain't that bad really for tides our end, put it this way I'm still here and I've swam in it at all parts of the tide.
didds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitters wrote:

So far we have:

Smitters: Lake 32 in South Cerney, which is close to Cirencester, Gloucestershire - 2010 thread here - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67672

you can add me to that kake 32list, and if you check out the
"lake 32 - 2010" thread in this same forum people that are off to lake 32 often post there for those that want to join up... or indeed post when you will be there and is anyone planning it around the same time.

that said, unless you are dead early (before 7.30 am say midweek, 7 am weekends) there is usually somebody around you might be abl;e to jump in with if you haven;t pre-arranged anything with.

FTR I do a 750m lap, easy going, in around 18 minutes, just sub 16 if I am flat out (ie I am not fast! Smile and am happy to join up if that suits.

didds
mudman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the misfortune of living in Aberdeen, but only 100m from the beach , so not all bad. Before going in to do OW practice, I asked the lifeguards there about currents/tides and anything to watch out for (there was a submerged obstacle to avoid, as it turns out) and told them what I wanted to do. Very helpful people & good to get local advice.
Now I'm swimming in 'unknown' waters off the beaches in Tripoli and I'm very wary of things like rip currents, much as I'd prefer to be in Malta, I'd rather fly there than be dragged out there! Shocked
marris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swim at Canvey Island in Essex on an incoming tide, along by the Labworth restaurant, its a great place for breakfast after a mile or so sea swim, and as its the sea (well estuary) you get all that that throws at you, currents , swell, waves and chop. Highly recommend it. I was there on Saturday ....

(the dot on the right of the pic is me).

DRB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tide information there are some excellent iPhone iPod Touch apps e.g. I use Day Tides 2009 (free and covers 2010)
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marris wrote:
I swim at Canvey Island in Essex on an incoming tide, along by the Labworth restaurant, its a great place for breakfast after a mile or so sea swim, and as its the sea (well estuary) you get all that that throws at you, currents , swell, waves and chop. Highly recommend it. I was there on Saturday ....

(the dot on the right of the pic is me).

you swam there and lived to tell the tale, and Im not talking about the currents or tides Shocked Does look nice though from the photo!
bazep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was about to post a dig at Mudman for the Aberdeen dissing - but then realise I moved away 10 eyears ago and the only thing I miss is getting out of aberdeen! Great OW location at knockburn by the way - just don't tell anyone about it!

Will be starting to swim at gosford in essex in the next few weeks - rather stinky green water compared to knockburn but shallow, pretty safe and popular (only place I have found in the area for some distance).
smitters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see I'm not the only one venturing back into the water then...

So, we're now at:

Smitters & Didds: Lake 32 in South Cerney, which is close to Cirencester, Gloucestershire - 2010 thread here - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67672

Percula: West Bay/Lyme Regis/West Chesil Beach

Mudman: Tripoli

Marris: Canvey Island (by the Labworth Restaurant)

Bazep: Gosford (Essex)

Which means there's no excuse to stay dry!
jay clock

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lake near Camberley in Surrey, just to east of M3

http://www.trisportuk.org/swimming/OpenWaterSwimming.aspx

The Quays , Coleford Bridge Road, Mytchett, Camberley, GU16 6DS

Opens on 24 April

Opening Times:
6.00am - 8.00am Tues, Thurs, Sat
7.00am - 10.00am Sundays
8.15pm until dusk - Weds
marris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
you swam there and lived to tell the tale, and Im not talking about the currents or tides Shocked Does look nice though from the photo!

You know I'd rather swim there than in a lake, swam there all last summer and nothing nasty in the water - to be fair on an incoming tide it's coming in from the North Sea rather than the other way so it should be 'fairly' clean. There's a little old lady who swims there EVERY day and has been for years.

If you want some sea training I'd say its probably the closest to central London you can get (around 30 miles) - but yes everyone thinks swimming there is crazy and you get some looks that's for sure.

But maybe thats from the third ear I've developed growing out of my forehead over the last year , but I don't think thats related.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: