Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
If you want a shot at KQ, how and when would you do it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was M30, altho from 2019 I'm M35 (birthday was on saturday Cool)
All the details about roll down etc in my blog post, but a quick summary is I did 4.28 and scraped in with the last spot. It was actually harder in M25 strangely. A club mate in that AG did 4:17 and missed out (I guess because there were less slots)
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up on Bahrain, food for thought in future perhaps Confused Cool

Back on topic, this is turning into a great thred. My 2p on time required

12-18 month of huge dedicated focus seems best. Im not convinced many can mentally give more time chasing it single mindedly than that. Therefore you either need natural ability to already be fairly close from the word go, or more importantly enjoy the process enough to spend years enjoying triathlon, improving your base and getting closer.
Key thing is that its so luck dependent on having the right race on the day, and on who else turns up, that need to know you'll be satisfied giving your all with the chance of failure and/or qualifying and Kona not living up to expectations.
YKK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
Never done all 3 in the same race but never finished off the AG podium in Ironman. Do all those and normally win the AG over 40s

I must admit, I nicked this idea from one of your old posts/blogs somewhere. Given that you are significantly better athlete than me, it is clearly not possible for me. However looking at a reasonably fit average Jo's performances.

1 hour swim does not seem that hard on paper.
5 hour bike on a friendly course does not seem that hard on paper.
3 hour run IS hard however you look at it on any course. Running is my strength, including running off the bike, but I don't think I can ever see myself getting to 3.

Still something to aim at!
Poet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!

stenard - I hope ttowel is referring to the AG in which fruit thief resides, the process targets he gave do look "soft" for your AG.

How many Yorkshiremen have done Kona?
You can get an awful lot of whippets, flat caps and racing pigeons for £4-£6k...
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
How many Yorkshiremen have done Kona?
You can get an awful lot of whippets, flat caps and racing pigeons for £4-£6k...

Not many Kona quality racing pigeons though...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47610896

All sports have a financial entry barrier of some level, triathlon is just higher than most? Maybe not motorsport, but certainly running. Even swimming you are never going to 'make it' unless you have a parent to drive you all over the country to meets all the time. At AG level it's a hobby. People spend a lot of money on their hobbies, good luck to them, if that's what they enjoy and they can afford it.

These days, not many people are prepared to make the long term commitment to get to a 'good' AG level. See how marathon times outside the elite have declined, running a 2h30 is definitely an exception these days.
Poet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a reet nice pigeon, but it wouldn't cope in the Kona crosswinds Wink
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:

All sports have a financial entry barrier of some level, triathlon is just higher than most? Maybe not motorsport, but certainly running. Even swimming you are never going to 'make it' unless you have a parent to drive you all over the country to meets all the time. At AG level it's a hobby. People spend a lot of money on their hobbies, good luck to them, if that's what they enjoy and they can afford it.

A completely different culture in triathlon though about spending money and having gear. Swimming is expensive, but the costs are largely hidden/taken on by parents for children with club membership and petrol, then adding in hotels and competitions.
For the swimmer themselves, a racing suit at £300 every two years, then couple of pairs of £10 trunks and goggles.
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
stenard - I hope ttowel is referring to the AG in which fruit thief resides, the process targets he gave do look "soft" for your AG.

Agree to me those swim and run times don't seem overly tough (although the bike ones do).

Take the run: I was at the Bath half marathon on Sunday & tritalker dss123 was there. He's in my age group & I remember him posting about how it took him a few attempts to qualify for Kona. On Sunday he ran a 1.15.xx, so part of me thinks 1.25 isn't going to cut the mustard. But another part thinks that sub 1.25 may be a good starting point for future improvement, and maybe having a glimmer of hope that Kona's not just wishful thinking- with a lot of training*?

Ttowel mentioned process- I wonder if he means that those times were kind of a starting point for the journey?

Meaning, if you are in the kind of shape to run, ride and swim those times- then you are in the kind of shape to start thinking about what sort of training you need to do next & then eventually bring it all together in an IM?

*please let that be true cos I ran 1.24
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting thing to me is thinking, OK, if someone can get into that sort of shape in each of the 3 disciplines, then maybe they can feel that they have the raw material to work with during a focussed qualification drive.

But that's just about physical ability. Presumably there are other things to think about - avoiding divorce - getting to a place in work where it's OK to think about taking October off - etc etc?

Cashwise I reckon I'd want a spare £xxK sitting around to throw at the whole caboose when you take into account coaching , toys, races and travel. But suspect it's a bit like building a house, plan for it taking twice as long and costing twice as much?

And having a head that can cope with it all- dunno if that will ever apply. Wait too long & dementia will probably have kicked in, the guys I work with say they reckon it has already.

A lot to think about & thanks for the pointers
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Poet wrote:

Agree to me those swim and run times don't seem overly tough (although the bike ones do).

Take the run: I was at the Bath half marathon on Sunday & tritalker dss123 was there. He's in my age group & I remember him posting about how it took him a few attempts to qualify for Kona. On Sunday he ran a 1.15.xx, so part of me thinks 1.25 isn't going to cut the mustard. But another part thinks that sub 1.25 may be a good starting point for future improvement, and maybe having a glimmer of hope that Kona's not just wishful thinking- with a lot of training*?

Ttowel mentioned process- I wonder if he means that those times were kind of a starting point for the journey?

Meaning, if you are in the kind of shape to run, ride and swim those times- then you are in the kind of shape to start thinking about what sort of training you need to do next & then eventually bring it all together in an IM?

*please let that be true cos I ran 1.24

I did Barcelona last year off very little training, won the AG 40-44, could have been 1st AG overall, if I pushed the run a bit more but had a really bad back, that was holding the pace down in the comfort zone.

Did 58 swim, choppy sea.
4.46 bike, was a bit longer this year at 113 miles compared to 110 in 2016
3.03 run

8.54 overall.

As far as training goes at that time

Swim shape: About 13.40 for 1k, 5.15-5.20 400m in the pool
Bike: FTP around 290-300w, 25 mile TT 56-57 min on club course
Run: Around 16.40-16.50 5k shape, probably about a 2.40 marathon form at the time

Compared to others who got 40-44 slots, I'd have said to qualify you would have needed a 1.00-1.05 swim, a 4.50-4.55 bike and a 3.10-3.15 run

Factor down the training needed for that
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful as always - thanks.

YKK's sum 1+5+3=9 sounds about right then? I'm standing in a pool of sweat and vomit just thinking about it Shocked

Maybe I'll take up darts
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

YKK's sum 1+5+3=9 sounds about right then? I'm standing in a pool of sweat and vomit just thinking about it Shocked

Maybe I'll take up darts

It's the 3 that I think is the biggest problem.
If you aren't a talented runner it is VERY difficult to get that kind of speed.

Swim you get the wetsuit and drafting which will get you a lot of the way there. Bike you just need power and good aero.
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

Maybe I'll take up darts

Be consistently able to run a sub 3 marathon, not many can do in Ironman.

I do believe in running marathons out of tri season, no need to run flat out and need 3 weeks recovery but that is the shape you need. Doing in an ironman is only a feat I've managed 3 times out of 24 races, and that includes being only 2-3 months after running 2.32.
Poet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

Meaning, if you are in the kind of shape to run, ride and swim those times- then you are in the kind of shape to start thinking about what sort of training you need to do next & then eventually bring it all together in an IM? ...

...OK, if someone can get into that sort of shape in each of the 3 disciplines, then maybe they can feel that they have the raw material to work with during a focussed qualification drive

I don't think the times are that hard, all disciplines are achievable.

2010, 2011, 2012 when I did Outlaw:

I was swimming ~5:40 400s, ~58mins 3.8km in the pool (swim was ~1hr every year)
I was biking under 4:30 and sub hour 25 TT (bike time was ~5:25 every year)
Running was <1:25 half marathon shape, consistently running sub 36 min 10ks (run time was ~3:50 each year)

I think that it's a starting point, for a three year plan, and not a "oh, I can qualify now!"

Like you say, the training part is probably the easiest bit, it's the enjoying the training and keeping the family onside whilst you try to fulfil the dream that seems to be the hard part.
Poet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In saying all of that...

...Executive challenge is $5,000 USD for your qualifying race, then $13,000 USD for The Big One.

That's about £13.5k, or £4.5k per year (using the three year plan)

The XC provides accommodation, too Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: