Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
iQ2 power meter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: iQ2 power meter Reply with quote

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468298434/cycling-power-meter-at-a-breakthrough-price
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/iq2-149eur-first-power-meter.html

I've just backed this at £250 for dual sided.
Finally released some power numbers, albeit not exactly detailed but seems to run consistently compared to Stages & Powertap of fist sight.

Will sell my Quarq 53/39 to get my Sram Red 52/36 back on that came with my bike.

Hopefully it works and I'll be happier on the hills!

Has anyone else seen or backed this?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: iQ2 power meter Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1468298434/cycling-power-meter-at-a-breakthrough-price
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/iq2-149eur-first-power-meter.html

I've just backed this at £250 for dual sided.
Finally released some power numbers, albeit not exactly detailed but seems to run consistently compared to Stages & Powertap of fist sight.

Will sell my Quarq 53/39 to get my Sram Red 52/36 back on that came with my bike.

Hopefully it works and I'll be happier on the hills!

Has anyone else seen or backed this?

Yes... and if it works will sell my Stages

I looked into this a bit and think that this has a real chance to be the game changer in power meters. I suspect that at the begining the software will be buggy and clunky, however, with the funding that they have received this had a real chance

Risk is that one of the big players, Quark, Garmin, SRM etc will buy the company to kill it it does work as described
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They reckon November delivery so I’ll be the guinea pig.

I’ll run it alongside my Quarq to start with to compare.
I don’t care TOO much if it runs higher or lower, as long as it is consistent.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see it, but earlier in the year it looked a bit of a risk, so I just got the Assioma Duo instead - which will be slightly less of a faff to move between bikes tbh, and won't add a lot to the Q-Factor like the IQ.

Having seem the tales of woe with Stages in the early years, I'd rather go with something established and no widely reported gremlins. Hence why I avoided Vector 2/3 too!
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to be claiming the cheapest and most accurate (1%) PM going? Most others I have seen claim a 1.5-2.5% accuracy.

Slowtwitchers will be crying about the offset on their q factor Smile
PCP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
They seem to be claiming the cheapest and most accurate (1%) PM going? Most others I have seen claim a 1.5-2.5% accuracy.

Slowtwitchers will be crying about the offset on their q factor Smile

Lots of people questioning the Q factor but I ride a TT bike, road bike & MTB so they will be different anyway. A winter on the turbo will get me used to it.
I'm not a hugely strong biker but my form is fairly good, hopefully the extra 1.6cm doesn't send my knees all 'Sanders'
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowtwitchers will be crying about the offset on their q factor Smile[/quote]

I'm sure one of them is rummaging through their trigonometry text books as we speak, to work out how much they're going to have to lower their seat height because of it.
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update - Power readings ok, delivery time put back.

Data Collection & Production Practicalities
Hi everyone,

We promised you an extensive data update last week, but we'll need an extra week.

Collecting Data
Co-founder Woud Vleugel, both triathlete and electrical engineer, has been going out on almost a daily basis cycling with multiple finished-product power meters and a backpack filled with electronics. Simultaneously, another independent party has been performing some final calibration tests in lab conditions, such as calibrating applied force and nullifying temperature, humidity & torque effects on the threads. We can't wait to share the outcomes, but are still working on the report.

We’re still extremely excited about the test results! Below is a new picture of the data of a short bike ride, comparable to an earlier update. This time, as many of you requested it, we added a link (please click) to the DC Rainmaker analyzing tool, where you can find and access this graph in high resolution and more detail.

iQsquare’s power meter (purple) compared to Power Tap (blue) and Stages (orange). Like an earlier update, our graph still falls neatly between other power meter outcomes and has performed consistently.

Tying Production Together
Now, as all production, testing and practical usage processes are starting to come together… we do have another important topic to discuss: we’re going to need a little bit more time to deliver the first power meters. We’d like to share with you the main reason below and hope you understand, as your support is a huge motivating factor for us.

As you know, iQsquare is creating a one of a kind, mass-produced product. It’s one of the most rewarding and challenging journeys our team has ever been on! We work together with almost 20 manufacturers and our timeline was pretty tight from the beginning. Our collective dream had to start somewhere, right? Smile As we are getting really close to our final product and the delivery date, a few of our production partners have been encountering some practical obstacles in the manufacturing process.

One example of this is the placement of a component of the printed circuit board. It’s been recommended that we move it to another location on the board as to have a better fit with the low-pressure molding technique. In short, moving the component provides the best way to guarantee a dust free and waterproof power meter. Obviously, that’s a quality we’re looking for.

First Half of January
So, yes. The good news is that we have a power meter that is showing accurate results; we’ll update you on that in more detail next week. The bad news is that tying together all separate processes isn’t only exact science, but sometimes a bit of an art. We’re putting in the work and are excited about seeing it all come together, but we have to admit it’s a bit of a tough pill to swallow when you’re this close to delivery.

Anyway, we expect the delay to be about three weeks. Taking Christmas and New Year holidays into account, with factories closed, we estimate to have the power meters ready during the first half of January.

It’s not fun to accept that sometimes these setbacks come with startup territory, no matter how hard we want to cross that finish line! Send us your comments, concerns, support…. anything you like. We love hearing from you and it keeps us involved in your thought process as well, which is very important to us.

Kind regards,

Team iQsquare
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having run manufacturing operations in the past, I believe that the issues IQ Squared had with the supplier of its titanium parts, made their aspiration to start shipping at the end of November completely unrealistic.

Now they have a minor redesign to move a component.... a really switched on and experienced supply chain team could probable sort this is 3 weeks, however, I probably wouldn´t hold my breath. March would probably be a pretty aggressive timeline
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Having run manufacturing operations in the past, I believe that the issues IQ Squared had with the supplier of its titanium parts, made their aspiration to start shipping at the end of November completely unrealistic.

Now they have a minor redesign to move a component.... a really switched on and experienced supply chain team could probable sort this is 3 weeks, however, I probably wouldn´t hold my breath. March would probably be a pretty aggressive timeline

Probably. They've said early Jan, I expect mid-late Feb. No rush, I've got my Quarq, although I was hoping to run them together for a couple of months and then get rid of the Quarq in Feb/March.

As long as they are reliable and I've got my 52/38 crank on for when my TT comes off the turbo in March/April. It will be good to throw them on my road bike for Mallorca 312 also.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these things still vapourware?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Are these things still vapourware?

yes, although I believe that the first batch is ready to ship to "key influencers" ie DC Rainmaker.

My prediction made a couple of months ago seems a little optimistic. I am now thinking May
mattsurf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received a mail that they have discovered a hardware issue in testing. I am guessing a significant delay
Tri'ing Swimmer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering a PM as really enjoy indoor training on the wattbike and would Ben nice to be consistent. Would be looking for a budget option but having doubts this will arrive, certainly not for this season.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the problems that they are seeing are pretty normal for a new product introduction: just look at the issues that Garmin have every time they launch a new product

As a supply chain professional, launches are always the most difficult to plan properly. It is clear that the team are great engineers and have some idea about marketing and sales, however, when it comes to supply chain, they have a lot to learn.

However, I still have faith that they will get there, just not sure when
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: