Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Valve Extensions for 80mm Wheels

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Valve Extensions for 80mm Wheels Reply with quote

I know this topic has come up a few times and I have searched the past threads but not seen this particular question discussed.

I've recently got some SRAM S80 wheels (10sp I'm still in the dark ages and happy there) after running HED 40f/60r previously.

On the HEDs I just used 80mm valves front and back so had no need for extensions, albeit I must have been giving away a gram of drag on the front Wink

I can't find anything longer than 80mm so will need some sort of extensions on the S80s and was wondering if there is any benefit to short valve/long extension or long valve/short extension. I'm even thinking that the 80mm valve might be close enough to the top to only use an extension for inflation and then remove it in use but I haven't tried that yet.

They currently have Topeak extensions with a little button on the top to free up the core if it's stuck but these seem to get pretty poor reviews for disintegrating on a regular basis. I'm leaning towards removable cores as I usually find I have to give the valve core a little press to release it before I can get any air in most presta valves, and if the core is somewhere at the bottom of the extension this wouldn't be possible.

Anyone in a similar position and what's your preference?
Thanks
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 808's are a PITA for this and I've considered selling them.

But, I originally bought Zipp Tangente tubes and their own extenders, you remove the core from the original tube, screw on the extension and screw the core into it.

Actually works really well without much leakage, but I think they might have discontinued them.

You could check out the time trialling forum, someone else there might have a solution.

I've tried a few others but always had issues inflating them.

Jeff
Poet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet X do a 101mm rim.
Which I have.
They also do the 100mm valve extenders to match.
For 1.99.

You need removable cores.
4 for 2.99 from CRC.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXVE/planet-x-valve-extender

Use PTFE tape on the extensions for zero leakage
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need removable cores.
4 for 2.99 from CRC.

Thanks Poet

Can you clarify the comment above re buying the cores. I was under the impression you removed the core from the inner tube and put it in the extension instead. By buying extra cores does that mean you can use non removable inner tubes and just leave the valve unscrewed, adding the extra ones to the extension? Effectively having 2 valves, 1 permanently unscrewed and one you use in the normal way?
Poet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll start from fresh:

You use the open ended extensions with non removable cores and the core valve underneath left opened.

The better (IMHO) extensions are the ones for the removable cores.
Remove the core from the tube. Put the extension on, using PTFE tape and the supplied rubber ring. Then screw the valve core into the extension.

Magic.

Buying extra cores :- I snapped one whilst repairing a tub at the roadside on Good Friday. So I had to get a rescue vehicle.
So carry spare cores.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, thanks again.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly related but I carried a CO2 pump for ages that screwed on to the valve. Found out first time I used it that it's nearly impossible to get it off without it unscrewing the removable core and when it does you are fu**ed without a pair of pliers as you can't get the core out of the pump & you have already wasted your co2 canister.

Make sure your CO2 pump is a push fit!
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had a little play around at the weekend and this where I've ended up. The picture shows an 80mm valve inner tube with no extension, just as it comes from the box.

I can inflate it by screwing a short extension on and then removing once it's pumped up to lock down the valve core. Obviously I'll need to carry one with me along with a spare tube but it does away with any chance of leaks or failures whilst riding and isn't much more trouble to inflate if/when needed.
Poet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCKY!!!
That’s a nice solution.
Needs some black electrical tape over it, to stop it clanging
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
LUCKY!!!
That’s a nice solution.
Needs some black electrical tape over it, to stop it clanging

That's an added benefit as when I screw the plastic cap on it's a snug fit in the hole so solves that too. Very Happy
Poet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jammy so-and-so.
That’s really clean.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: