Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Heart Rate Zones VS Power Zones

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Heart Rate Zones VS Power Zones Reply with quote

I decided to treat my morning commute like a Zwift ride... ie full gas for 35km

When I look at my Training Peaks Analysis, around 50% of the ride was in Zone 6 power, >100% ftp, while my HR was 5% Z1 35% Z2 35% Z3 and 25% Z4

I have not done and ftp test since November, although, TP keeps notifying me that I have achieved a new ftp (and I update zones accordingly). My ftp is possibly low, but not by a big margin

I use power for training on the bike, but don't really look at the zones too much, typically I use gentle workout <200w>250w NP.

Do other people use TP power zones for the bike?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance of that on my commute Very Happy Roads are sh1t, too many sets of lights and junctions etc. Then there's the traffic...

That said, it's a workout. Bike weighs 11kg before I add my pannier which brings it up to around 15! Then add the really slow Armadillo tyres. I have to tape 'suck it up' pills to the top tube every morning Laughing
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart Rate Zones VS Power Zones Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

When I look at my Training Peaks Analysis, around 50% of the ride was in Zone 6 power, >100% ftp, while my HR was 5% Z1 35% Z2 35% Z3 and 25% Z4

with significant zero's (so lots of HR recovery) that is not that completely impossible - although of course zones of either are not perfect. If you look in golden cheetah, you would have to have seen your watt balance repeatedly being hammered and recovering for the time in zones to be reasonable. They really are measuring somewhat different things.

However training peaks zone 6 is 20% over FTP isn't it? But it would be severely debilitating and I think unlikely, your FTP is probably too low. If you consider it in terms of intervals, that 50 minute ride would have to be 5 almost max 5 minute intervals on 5 minute recovery to achieve that, and I cannot imagine that with only 10 minutes training peaks zone 4 HR.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Heart Rate Zones VS Power Zones Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

with significant zero's (so lots of HR recovery) that is not that completely impossible - although of course zones of either are not perfect. If you look in golden cheetah, you would have to have seen your watt balance repeatedly being hammered and recovering for the time in zones to be reasonable. They really are measuring somewhat different things.

However training peaks zone 6 is 20% over FTP isn't it? But it would be severely debilitating and I think unlikely, your FTP is probably too low. If you consider it in terms of intervals, that 50 minute ride would have to be 5 almost max 5 minute intervals on 5 minute recovery to achieve that, and I cannot imagine that with only 10 minutes training peaks zone 4 HR.

I have TP set to USAT for Cycling Zones, so zone 6 is "Best Sustainable Effort" and is anything in excess of my FTP. However, I will probably redo and FTP and see if it has increased

Good point about Traffic Lights. the first 20km of my ride doesn't have too many, on my effort yesterday, I was only stopped at one pretty early on. However, the final 15km has lots of lights and one set of roadworks, where there is a long stop, so you are probably correct that my HR drops off at the all of the stops. Also there is one section 5km long where there is a set of lights ever 1km or so - This becomes a series of sprints as I try to draft the cars.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Heart Rate Zones VS Power Zones Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I have TP set to USAT for Cycling Zones, so zone 6 is "Best Sustainable Effort" and is anything in excess of my FTP.

In that case, it's barely surprising at all. Yesterday I went for a run, for various reasons I stopped frequently, I did 5km in 18:45 or so moving time, my MAX HR for the session was 158 - my normal 5km HR for that pace would be about a 165 average, but as the actual session took over 30 minutes, I never got close to it.

Intermittent exercise is really easy to over your hour pace. 5 zones and you're still at a power you can maintain for 60 minutes, how many more above it?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: